Mercenary Diplomacy Rules

Game in which the rulers of the nations give orders to mercenary Generals who are free to follow them or not. Devised and GMd by Beowulf7

Mercenary Diplomacy Rules

Postby beowulf7 » 02 Sep 2011, 18:13

My last post in this thread is always the latest version of the rules and clarifications

1) Rulers (x7): Kaiser, King, Tsar, President etc. Pretty much as normal.
2) Generals (x7): There are 7 mercenary generals who own the units. Importantly they own one seventh of the units but they are scattered amongst the various countries.

Hence each movement round consists of the Rulers deciding what they want to happen and then sending orders to the various Generals who submit the actual orders. Rulers allocate builds to whichever general they want

Rulers have contact details of ALL other Rulers plus THEIR generals. Generals have details of ALL Generals but THEIR Rulers only at the start. However anyone can pass on any information/misinformation as they choose. PM as one of the forms of communication - also chat, phone, snail mail, pigeon, brick with letter attached....

Rulers allocate their builds to ANY General they choose.

A general never dies. In fact, other than him and the GM then no-one has to know he has zero units. He can continue to Diplome! If he is smart enough then he can negotiate new units from a Ruler or two and then will be back in business so, in theory, you could come back from zero units and win the game. (Alfred the Great!).

There's a very key element here - the Rulers therefore can never be sure that a communication they receive is from a) an existing General b) A General who has retired and been replaced c) someone who is not even in the game. I am taking away the "all seeing satellite" view that we normally have

If a general NMRs then his units stand - if this happens spring & fall then the Ruler may re-allocate over the winter. (Thus a Ruler could order NMR twice and then reclaim the units - assuming that the General obeys..)

Rulers cannot dislodge their own units (standard rules) but Generals CAN dislodge another of their units as long as it is of a different country to the attacking pieces.

Rulers allocate their builds to Generals - the Generals cannot build of their own volition. If the Parisian army captures an SC without instructions to for that then the build STILL goes back to the French ruler for allocation

Only a Ruler can build/allocate builds. If the Generals don't listen then a) they get no more builds b) They can be disbanded (following standard rules) as the Rulers country disbands. (In some ways this is like the Railway Game - you can win by being the second biggest shareholder in two or more successful competitors)

The visible map will be 100% normal - in fact I will use a "friends" game on here. It will show the game of the Rulers.

The invisible map will not be published. The GM will keep track of who owns the units and, importantly, the counts

Each ruler will have 3/4 pieces. Each general will start with 3/4 pieces. So it follows that each Ruler will likely be dealing with 3 or 4 generals at the start. Though he can allocate builds to other generals as he sees fit

Each general will have instructions from 3 or 4 rulers - he can do what he wants.

So each person will be managing 3 or 4 "up" or "down" relationships alongside the 6 "normal" relationships

48 hours for moves, 24 for builds/retreats, 24 for me to GM - (advance moves accepted)

Victory conditions: A ruler wins by having 18, a general wins by having 18 - I'm still not convinced that this needs changing.

The GM will not enter into "chat" about anything that seems like a request for tactical advice. The GM will respond only to requests highlighting where the rules are insufficient and will then do it publicly. (Possibly through the shoutbox)

(The proposed rule about Generals performing a coup and replacing their Ruler has been suspended for another day)
beowulf7

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (962)
All-game rating: (963)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Mercenary Diplomacy Rules

Postby asudevil » 02 Sep 2011, 19:16

How many people did you get to sign up...are you leaving some countries in Civil Disorder
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby beowulf7 » 02 Sep 2011, 22:42

That's on a need-to-know basis ;)
beowulf7

Standard rating: (962)
All-game rating: (963)
Timezone: GMT

Postby MisticX » 02 Sep 2011, 23:00

that is WAY too many players.

forum games are hard to mod even as it is.
MisticX

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby ninjaruler » 03 Sep 2011, 00:03

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by ninjaruler on 03 Sep 2011, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby MisticX » 03 Sep 2011, 00:05

hell, i`ll give it a try.
MisticX

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5