Mercenary Diplomacy - worth trying?

Game in which the rulers of the nations give orders to mercenary Generals who are free to follow them or not. Devised and GMd by Beowulf7

Re: Mercenary Diplomacy - worth trying?

Postby Pedros » 31 Aug 2011, 17:09

asudevil wrote:Except for about 2 rounds in the middle I just am not sure about the worth of this complexity, although it does seem interesting if the complications get ironed out.

This particular complexity (Rulers and Generals) was what I thought the game was about. Right Beowulf?
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby beowulf7 » 31 Aug 2011, 19:02

Guys - thanks for the (flood of) reponses :lol:

Been travelling with work but back now and will look shortly

Some feedback

Pedros - Imperial was good but even that "ran" at the pace of sluggardly sloath - maybe it's just me!

Friends game for the Rulers only with me entering all data into dummy accouts

Can a Ruler re-allocate ? Only after two NMR's

Paris example - yes you're right, standard rules apply, my example was poor

Rulers are public - who the generals are Generals is "discovered" so there is room for deceipt

Ghost

how would you know NMRs? The moves would be on the public board

how would you know another general did not NMR? You wouldn't

Asudevil - no general would necessarily know his order will give the ruler 18 (but I accept the concern)

In general...

I don't think its that complex at least I have the core vision established in my head so I think I can answer any questions but I 100% agree that we have not worked through every scenario. In the first running I think that the GM (me) will have to hand hold a bit and also take some decisions on the fly- you can trust me! :mrgreen: I'll launch this this week (maybe with only 5 or 6 powers if necessary)

Thanks again guys for the constructive tone of all comments - I'll get things started before the weekend (or over it)
beowulf7

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (962)
All-game rating: (963)

Postby Pedros » 31 Aug 2011, 20:20

Hi beowulf - welcome back. I appreciate that you've not really had time to assimilate everything that's been written, and we'll get more when you have. But I don't think you've quite understood all the points.

With my Mod's hat on I would strongly discourage you from starting this game too quickly, when the rules weren't properly worked out and listed. Decisions 'on the fly' are bound to be unfair on somebody, and also make the game less satisfying. Unless you advertise it as initial testing - but even then you need to work out as much detail as you can beforehand. And make it clear to everybody that that's what it is. There's a lot of confusion here at present.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby DOI » 31 Aug 2011, 20:44

K, what is anyone confused about? As far as I can tell, the only thing not explicitly stated is whether generals cannot dislodge themselves or whether countries can't, and if this will be run through the site, the answer is countries.
"May the peace last for as long as it remains useful to us."
- Tokugawa, in Civilization IV
DOI

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby beowulf7 » 31 Aug 2011, 23:15

Generals and dislodging - refer to the "rulers rules" eg standard play.

Ruler France cannot dislodge France but General Pedros CAN dislodge another Pedros unit as long as it is of a different country. So Pedros' Spanish Units can dislodge his French one, for example.

Simples, tsk!
beowulf7

Postby DOI » 31 Aug 2011, 23:32

beowulf7 wrote:Ruler France cannot dislodge France but General Pedros CAN dislodge another Pedros unit as long as it is of a different country. So Pedros' Spanish Units can dislodge his French one, for example.

And here comes someone screaming, "Wait, Spain is a country now?! I'm confused!"
"May the peace last for as long as it remains useful to us."
- Tokugawa, in Civilization IV
DOI

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby beowulf7 » 01 Sep 2011, 11:26

Lol - sorry too many competing requests for time! Scrap "Spain" and insert "Germany".

I'm more chilled today so once I've caught up with work I may write again - this time in English!
beowulf7

Postby beowulf7 » 01 Sep 2011, 17:26

1) Rulers (x7): Kaiser, King, Tsar, President etc. Pretty much as normal.
2) Generals (x7): There are 7 mercenary generals who own the units. Importantly they own one seventh of the units but they are scattered amongst the various countries.

Hence each movement round consists of the Rulers deciding what they want to happen and then sending orders to the various Generals who submit the actual orders. Rulers allocate builds to whichever general they want

Rulers have contact details of ALL other Rulers plus THEIR generals. Generals have details of ALL Generals but THEIR Rulers only at the start. However anyone can pass on any information/misinformation as they choose. PM as one of the forms of communication - also chat, phone, snail mail, pigeon, brick with letter attached....

Rulers allocate their builds to ANY Merc general they choose.

If all the relevant Generals withdraw all support from a Ruler then he is deposed and drops out of the game. A replacement player can then be found by the Generals or if necessary the GM.

A general never dies. In fact, other than him and the GM then no-one has to know he has zero units. He can continue to Diplome! If he is smart enough then he can negotiate new units from a Ruler or two and then will be back in business so, in theory, you could come back from zero units and win the game. (Alfred the Great!).

There's a very key element here - the Rulers therefore can never be sure that a communication they receive is from a) an existing General b) A General who has retired and been replaced c) someone who is not even in the game. I am taking away the "all seeing satellite" view that we normally have

If a general NMRs then his units stand - if this happens spring & fall then the Ruler may re-allocate over the winter. (Thus a Ruler could order NMR twice and then reclaim the units - assuming that the General obeys..)

Rulers cannot dislodge their own units (standard rules) but Generals CAN dislodge another of their units as long as it is of a different country to the attacking pieces.

Rulers allocate their builds to Generals - the Generals cannot build of their own volition. If the Parisian army captures an SC without instructions to for that then the build STILL goes back to the French ruler for allocation

Only a Ruler can build/allocate builds. If the Generals don't listen then a) they get no more builds b) They can be disbanded (following standard rules) as the Rulers country disbands. (In some ways this is like the Railway Game - you can win by being the second biggest shareholder in two or more successful competitors)

The visible map will be 100% normal - in fact I will use a "friends" game on here. It will show the game of the Rulers.

The invisible map will not be published. The GM will keep track of who owns the units and, importantly, the counts

Each ruler will have 3/4 pieces. Each general will start with 3/4 pieces. So it follows that each Ruler will likely be dealing with 3 or 4 generals at the start. Though he can allocate builds to other generals as he sees fit

Each general will have instructions from 3 or 4 rulers - he can do what he wants.

So each person will be managing 3 or 4 "up" or "down" relationships alongside the 6 "normal" relationships

48 hours for moves, 24 for builds/retreats, 24 for me to GM - (advance moves accepted)

Victory conditions: A ruler wins by having 18, a general wins by having 18 - I'm still not convinced that this needs changing.

I'm just setting up the dummy accounts and necessary admin now - will PM you with your allocations
beowulf7

Postby beowulf7 » 01 Sep 2011, 19:04

I'm in the process of setting up right now - only have enough volunteers for a 5 power game but going ahead

If anyone else will help by playing then please let me know ASAP (ask your mates or set up another account! :mrgreen: )
beowulf7

Postby Pedros » 01 Sep 2011, 21:08

beowulf7 wrote:I'm in the process of setting up right now - only have enough volunteers for a 5 power game but going ahead

If anyone else will help by playing then please let me know ASAP (ask your mates or set up another account! :mrgreen: )

I'm sure that's a joke Beowulf, but just in case somebody doesn't get that, anybody who plays two roles here will be banned from Forum Games.
Pedros

PreviousNext

Return to Mercenary Diplomacy {All Maps Lost}