Mercenary Diplomacy - worth trying?

Game in which the rulers of the nations give orders to mercenary Generals who are free to follow them or not. Devised and GMd by Beowulf7

Re: Mercenary Diplomacy - worth trying?

Postby asudevil » 30 Aug 2011, 03:56

I still dont see any general making an order that would give a country his 18th SC. I mean, I guess if he thinks he has the most SC's of the generals he could be like I got second...but who ever publishes that. Maybe you have a "winning" general and a "winning" country. I just see it as a lot easier to win as a general than as a country.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby asudevil » 30 Aug 2011, 04:11

DOI wrote:I hope that people are signing up for this by PM. Both because I want it to get off the ground, and because joining by PM creates sneaky possibilities. If I hadn't already publicly mentioned interest, I'd join by PM.

But why would anyone hide their interest....what people are going to sign up for this game anonymously and then try to get people to give them an army (if they a general). Also, do we think anyone random is going to be posting/PM'ing in order to try and convince people to do random things. I mean, if the generals know their rulers (they wont be doing what random people say)...and if a random person PM's a ruler as a "different" general, what happens if the ruler actually assigns them an army.

I dont think disposing a ruler is a good idea. I like 3/1/1...I just dont know if that is feasible since you have to talk to different rulers and generals...and generals have to gain favor with other rulers and see if other generals want to support them if they both dont follow their rulers orders. I just see this becoming a HUGE messaging game, that I dont know if 3/1/1 gives enough time for.

Sorry for the long run in this, I think its a cool idea, but I just have these questions.

I think that armies should be able to support/attack their own country's unit (I mean mercenaries change sides all the time)...but the game wont allow this and if we are going to run this right off a friends game, thats an issue. Also any leader who wants to hide his extra armies, should be allowed to attack his own army with an army of a different county...if he leaves himself no where to retreat too, then he's an idiot and deserves to have his country disbanded.

Those are my thoughts, I think this could be cool, I want it to have a chance...

asudevil

Postby Pedros » 30 Aug 2011, 11:41

beowulf7 wrote:I'm balancing the need for time to do this against the fact that every forum game I've played has had all the excitement of watching cement harden (and none of them finished). How about 48/24/24??

What about Imperial 3 Beowulf? Or doesn't a draw count as finishing?
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby gislason » 30 Aug 2011, 19:48

I am going to have toi bow out of this game, I am getting too busy, sorry. :)
gislason

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (996)
All-game rating: (893)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Pedros » 30 Aug 2011, 20:37

This is getting really interesting, but it seems to me that there are a few issues around the current draft of the rules, based mostly upon the roles of Rulers and Generals.

Firstly - Beowulf said he would use a Friends game on main site for the public map. But that can't work. The orders are coming from the generals, so that even if an Admin will set up the original position (with owners) for the game, it will be displaying the hidden map not the public one!

Secondly -
If a general NMRs then his units stand - if this happens spring & fall then the Ruler may re-allocate over the winter. (Thus a Ruler could order NMR twice and then reclaim the units - assuming that the General obeys..)
Which ruler? The general is working for several different Rulers. Actually, re-reading it, does this mean that the Ruler can take all his units controlled by that General and allocate them to somebody else? Not clear

Similarly,
the Generals cannot build of their own volition. If the Parisian army captures an SC without instructions to for that then the build STILL goes back to the French ruler for allocation
- surely it goes to the Ruler of the country whose army moved in?

Finally -
the Rulers therefore can never be sure that a communication they receive is from ... c) someone who is not even in the game

But you said that the game is not anonymous, so how can that be?
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby DOI » 30 Aug 2011, 21:11

Pedros wrote:Similarly,
the Generals cannot build of their own volition. If the Parisian army captures an SC without instructions to for that then the build STILL goes back to the French ruler for allocation
- surely it goes to the Ruler of the country whose army moved in?

I think the meaning there was the army from Paris goes out and captures another centre, not an army that moves into Paris. You understand the rule correctly.
"May the peace last for as long as it remains useful to us."
- Tokugawa, in Civilization IV
DOI

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby GhostEcho » 30 Aug 2011, 21:23

Note sure where beowulf is at the moment, but as I had a lengthy PM discussion with him on some of these issues I'll jump in:

Not sure about the map - if it's a friends only map, maybe using dummy accounts to process orders?

Pedros wrote:Secondly -
If a general NMRs then his units stand - if this happens spring & fall then the Ruler may re-allocate over the winter. (Thus a Ruler could order NMR twice and then reclaim the units - assuming that the General obeys..)
Which ruler? The general is working for several different Rulers. Actually, re-reading it, does this mean that the Ruler can take all his units controlled by that General and allocate them to somebody else? Not clear

If the general NMRs (how would you know this anyway?) then the ruler can reassign command to a general who didn't NMR (and how would you know *that*?)

Pedros wrote:Finally -
the Rulers therefore can never be sure that a communication they receive is from ... c) someone who is not even in the game

But you said that the game is not anonymous, so how can that be?

The game's semi-anonymous under the current scheme. Rulers are known. Generals are not known, except that each ruler is told the names of the generals he starts out with.

I'm lobbying hard to have all players declared before the game starts, but beowulf has so far been determined to keep the generals as anonymous as possible. ...Frankly, that will last until the first turn because it's exactly no good for any ruler to have to deal with anonymous opponents when the generals already hold the order trump card, so might as well just declare the names to start with. But then, that's just my perspective.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1008
All-game rating: 969
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby King Teraniar » 31 Aug 2011, 04:54

This is getting very complicated, and my schedule is filling up, so I am going to take my name out of the hat, at least until my real life quiets down or the rules become much clearer. Sorry.
"Wars not make one great."-Yoda

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."-Winston Churchill

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."-Napoleon Bonaparte
King Teraniar

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (983)
All-game rating: (985)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 31 Aug 2011, 10:34

King Teraniar wrote:This is getting very complicated, and my schedule is filling up, so I am going to take my name out of the hat, at least until my real life quiets down or the rules become much clearer. Sorry.

I think it was always going to be complicated King Teraniar - but I agree, the complexity is growing almost daily!
Pedros

Postby asudevil » 31 Aug 2011, 14:15

King Teraniar wrote:This is getting very complicated, and my schedule is filling up, so I am going to take my name out of the hat, at least until my real life quiets down or the rules become much clearer. Sorry.

I am starting to agree that this sounds cool, but seems harder to pull off...I think at the beginning the generals will do whatever the rulers say (so they get more armies), and by the end the generals will do whatever they want (cause builds are harder to come by)...Except for about 2 rounds in the middle I just am not sure about the worth of this complexity, although it does seem interesting if the complications get ironed out.

asudevil

PreviousNext

Return to Mercenary Diplomacy {All Maps Lost}