Mercenary Diplomacy - worth trying?

Game in which the rulers of the nations give orders to mercenary Generals who are free to follow them or not. Devised and GMd by Beowulf7

Re: Mercenary Diplomacy - worth trying?

Postby beowulf7 » 24 Aug 2011, 00:36

Not FoW - I'm trying to stay nearer to the original. Of course as well as the primary map (which would be visible) there would be a secondary, invisible map - a map of the world as belonging to the Mercenary Generals

1) Rulers (x7): Kaiser, King, Tsar, President etc. Pretty much as normal.
2) Generals (x7): There are 7 mercenary generals who own the units. Importantly they own one seventh of the units but they are scattered amongst the various countries.

Hence each movement round consists of the Rulers deciding what they want to happen and then sending orders to the various Generals who submit the actual orders. Rulers allocate builds to whichever general they want

Rulers have contact details of ALL other Rulers plus THEIR generals. Generals have details of ALL Generals but THEIR Rulers only at the start. However anyone can pass on any information/misinformation as they choose.

No not anon - we will need PM as one of the forms of communication - also chat, phone, snail mail, pigeon, brick with letter attached....

Rulers allocate their builds to ANY Merc general they choose.

If the Generals withdraw all support from a Ruler then he is deposed and drops out of the game. A replacement player can then be found by the Generals or if necessary the GM.

If a general NMRs then his units stand - if this happens spring & fall then the Ruler may re-allocate over the winter.

36 hours for moves, 12 for builds/retreats, 12 for me to GM - (advance moves accepted)

Victory conditions: A ruler wins by having 18, a general wins by having 18 - I'm still not convinced that this needs changing.

Players: (PM me if you want to be secretive)
1) Spekulatius
2) DOI
3) gislason
4) diplomat42
5) sqig
6) King Teraniar
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
Last edited by beowulf7 on 24 Aug 2011, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
beowulf7

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (962)
All-game rating: (963)
Timezone: GMT

Postby sqig » 24 Aug 2011, 01:25

Ok i have a few questions.

First of all what is on the visible map and what is on the invisible map and who sees what?

Also how many generals does each ruler get and how many rulers for a general?

Lastly can the generals follow part of one rulers orders and part of anothers or can they only use one rulers orders?

Thanks,
Sqig
sqig

All-game rating: 5241
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby beowulf7 » 24 Aug 2011, 10:29

The visible map will be 100% normal - in fact I will use a "friends" game on here. It will show the game of the Rulers.

The invisible map will not be published. The GM will keep track of who owns the units and, importantly, the counts

Each ruler will have 3/4 pieces. Each general will start with 3/4 pieces. So it follows that each Ruler will likely be dealing with 3 or 4 generals at the start. Though he can allocate builds to other generals as he sees fit

Each general will have instructions from 3 or 4 rulers - he can do what he wants.

So each person will be managing 3 or 4 "up" or "down" relationships alongside the 6 "normal" relationships
beowulf7

Postby King Teraniar » 24 Aug 2011, 16:48

I would be interested in playing.

Questions:
Each ruler tells each of his generals an order for the one unit of his each general controls, correct? Such as: The ruler of France tells the general who controls the A Paris that he would like it to move to Burgundy, the general who controls the F Brest to move to MAO, and the general who controls the A Mar to move to Spain, but the generals actually decides where to order them, correct?

Also, generals get SC only through allocation from the Rulers, or by taking SC normally as well?
"Wars not make one great."-Yoda

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."-Winston Churchill

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."-Napoleon Bonaparte
King Teraniar

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (983)
All-game rating: (985)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby cheesers52 » 24 Aug 2011, 17:41

If the Generals don't have to listen to the Rulers, why do the rulers exist at all? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?
cheesers52

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby beowulf7 » 24 Aug 2011, 17:54

King

Correct. The Ruler of France ask a General to move his Parisian unit. The General may or may not do so. The General may or may not have units in Germany or England (or elsewhere)

Also correct that the Rulers allocate their builds to Generals - the Generals cannot build of their own volition. If the Parisian army captures an SC without instructions to for that then the build STILL goes back to the French ruler for allocation

Cheesers

only a Ruler can build/allocate builds. If the Generals don't listen then a) they get no more builds b) They can be disbanded (following standard rules) as the Rulers country disbands

(In some ways this is like the Railway Game - you can win by being the second biggest shareholder in two or more successful competitors)
beowulf7

Postby beowulf7 » 25 Aug 2011, 12:15

VOLUNTEERS WANTED FOR FIRST GAME PLEASE - I'M HAPPY TO START IT AS SOON AS THE NUMBERS ARE IN

1) Rulers (x7): Kaiser, King, Tsar, President etc. Pretty much as normal.
2) Generals (x7): There are 7 mercenary generals who own the units. Importantly they own one seventh of the units but they are scattered amongst the various countries.

Hence each movement round consists of the Rulers deciding what they want to happen and then sending orders to the various Generals who submit the actual orders. Rulers allocate builds to whichever general they want

Rulers have contact details of ALL other Rulers plus THEIR generals. Generals have details of ALL Generals but THEIR Rulers only at the start. However anyone can pass on any information/misinformation as they choose. PM as one of the forms of communication - also chat, phone, snail mail, pigeon, brick with letter attached....

Rulers allocate their builds to ANY Merc general they choose.

If all the relevant Generals withdraw all support from a Ruler then he is deposed and drops out of the game. A replacement player can then be found by the Generals or if necessary the GM.

If a general NMRs then his units stand - if this happens spring & fall then the Ruler may re-allocate over the winter. (Thus a Ruler could order NMR twice and then reclaim the units - assuming that the General obeys..)

Rulers allocate their builds to Generals - the Generals cannot build of their own volition. If the Parisian army captures an SC without instructions to for that then the build STILL goes back to the French ruler for allocation

Only a Ruler can build/allocate builds. If the Generals don't listen then a) they get no more builds b) They can be disbanded (following standard rules) as the Rulers country disbands. (In some ways this is like the Railway Game - you can win by being the second biggest shareholder in two or more successful competitors)

The visible map will be 100% normal - in fact I will use a "friends" game on here. It will show the game of the Rulers.

The invisible map will not be published. The GM will keep track of who owns the units and, importantly, the counts

Each ruler will have 3/4 pieces. Each general will start with 3/4 pieces. So it follows that each Ruler will likely be dealing with 3 or 4 generals at the start. Though he can allocate builds to other generals as he sees fit

Each general will have instructions from 3 or 4 rulers - he can do what he wants.

So each person will be managing 3 or 4 "up" or "down" relationships alongside the 6 "normal" relationships

36 hours for moves, 12 for builds/retreats, 12 for me to GM - (advance moves accepted)

Victory conditions: A ruler wins by having 18, a general wins by having 18 - I'm still not convinced that this needs changing.

Players: (PM me if you want to be secretive)
1) Spekulatius
2) DOI
3) gislason
4) CS
5) sqig
6) King Teraniar
7) Prufrock
8) By PM
9) GhostEcho??
10) Palin??
11)
12)
13)
14)
Last edited by beowulf7 on 26 Aug 2011, 17:16, edited 3 times in total.
beowulf7

Postby cs » 25 Aug 2011, 19:11

Sign me up.
cs

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby diplomat42 » 25 Aug 2011, 21:03

Yikes! 12 hour retreats and builds are far too fast for me. I'm out.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby gislason » 25 Aug 2011, 21:24

Unless you change the time to at least 24 hours for builds/retreats and 48 for orders, I'm going to bow out as well.
gislason

Standard rating: (996)
All-game rating: (893)
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Mercenary Diplomacy {All Maps Lost}