World War IV begins: Country assignments & Rules

GM: BigBert. Winners: DOI (Canada), AardvarkArmy (California), asudevil (Amazon empire), Girion (Argentina), paulus (Kenya), thewysecat (Nigeria), and Chelonoidis (Song Empire)

World War IV begins: Country assignments & Rules

Postby BigBert » 17 Aug 2011, 09:51

World War 4 has finally taken off! This post should contain all the information about country assignments, rules etc. If there are any questions left unanswered, feel free to post them here or PM me or Sinnybee (my charming assistant :) ) Also, should you read all this and think "why I am not in this great game?!?!", then sign-up as a reserve. Big chance you'll be able to play sooner or later.

Your first orders, that of spring 2101, are due:
Thursday 25 August, 9.00 am GMT

This is the starting map:

WWIVnewest.gif
WWIVnewest.gif (194.68 KiB) Viewed 4305 times

And the map without units:

WW4NoUnits.GIF
WW4NoUnits.GIF (322.9 KiB) Viewed 3768 times

These are the country assignments:
AmazonEmpire: asudevil
Argentina: Girion
Australia: Eliminated
Brazil: Eliminated
California: AardvarkArmy
Canada: DOI
Catholica: Eliminated
CentralAsia: Eliminated
Colombia: Eliminated
Congo: Eliminated
Cuba: Eliminated
Egypt: Eliminated
Germany: Eliminated
Illinois: Eliminated
IncaEmpire: Eliminated
India: Eliminated
Indonesia: Eliminated
Iran: Eliminated
Japan: Eliminated
Kenya: Paulus
Manchuria: Eliminated
Mexico: Eliminated
Nigeria: thewysecat
Oceania: Eliminated
Philippines: Eliminated
Quebec: Eliminated
Russia: Eliminated
SichuanEmpire: Eliminated
SongEmpire: Chelonoidis
SouthAfrica: Kithchener
Texas: Eliminated
Thailand: Eliminated
Turkey: Eliminated
UnitedKingdom: Eliminated
UnitedStates: Eliminated

And here are the rules:
Game rules:
  • There are 244 supply centers in total, so the target for a solo victory is 123 centers.
  • There are a number of special areas, specifically:
    - Countries with multiple coasts: works like St. Petersburg in standard diplomacy
    - Centers at Sea: These spaces may station either fleet or army units, but armies can only move to and from these spaces by convoy. A fleet in a Sea Center space is allowed to convoy, just like a fleet in open water. The exception is Cebu, a fleet in Cebu may not convoy.
    - Land bridges: The red lines (for example, between Sicily and Rome) connect the two spaces. Both fleets and armies may use these bridges.
    - Impassable areas: just as it says, impassible. Like Switzerland in standard diplomacy.
    A full list of all these regions can be found at the bottom of the map.
  • Builds: the game is build anywhere. The two two-year waiting rule from the previous run of WW4 is not applicable.

Communication rules:
  • Communication is done by PM-ing, (you're free to use other means if you so desire, such as the chatroom). This section of the forum can be used as Public Press. If you want to make an anonymous post on the Public Press, send the message to me and I'll post it.
  • Send orders to me (BigBert), stating clearly the phase and your country name. Ambigous orders will be considered invalid. Send your orders to sinnybee and myself, if you don't want her sending you a reminder to get orders in, if you've already sent in orders.
  • I will PM everyone when I've finished adjudicating each phase. Still, it's good to keep an eye on this section of the forum so you don't miss anything.
  • Sinnybee will send reminders approximately 24 hours before the end of a phase. Still, not receiving the reminder is no excuse for missing the deadline.

Deadlines & NMR Policy:
  • In general: please be in time with your orders, and don't NMR or surrender! I myself am putting quite some effort into the game, as well as your fellow players, so please try to commit. If you want to step out for some reason, let me know in time so we can find a substitute.
  • Phases will be 96 hours for orders, and 48 hours for retreats and builds. In days, that is 4/2/2. I will clearly state the deadline both in the forum topic and in the PM.
  • The initial phase of negotiations will be double length, that is 8 days.
  • If you miss the deadline of an orders phase, you will get a 24-hour grace period. I will PM you as soon as possible once you've missed a deadline, but still the grace period starts immediately after the original deadline, so not after I notified you of the grace period. If I haven't received any orders after these 24 hours, all units will hold. There will be no grace period for retreats or build phases! If you miss the deadline for a retreats or build phase, so be it. Unordered retreating units will be disbanded, unordered available builds will not be built, and, in the case of an NMR, required build turn disbands will disband units farthest from original supply centers, with fleets before armies then alphabetically in the event of a tie.
  • Three NMR's means you will be out of the game. If I have the impression that a player is missing, I will look for a substitute earlier if I think this is better for the game.
  • Also, NMRing on the first turn means you're out. This is so for two reasons: the first is that spring 01 NMR's are particularly disrupting. The second reason is that if you fail to reach the 8-day deadline of the first turn, this isn't very encouraging for the rest of the game.
  • If you want the game to hold for a few days, because of holidays or so, please let me know well in time and I can shift the deadline. If you're away for longer than, say, three days, please arrange a stand-in. With 35 players, its impossible to pause the game for every holiday.

Miscellaneous:
  • Please check whether your orders have been correctly adjudicated. Although I'm using a programme to adjudicate them, it's still possible that there may be errors. So do check whether everything went correctly.
  • If you have any question, feel free to post them here or PM me or Sinnybee. Sinnybee has offered to assist me in GM-ing, so should there be any disagreement I will ask her for advice. Our decision is final.
  • I will not notify you of any orders being invalid or missing, except for new players for who I'll be a bit more accomodating. If orders are unclear, they will fail. If orders are slightly miswritten but unambiguously clear, I will accept them.
Well, I guess that's it. Have fun everybody!
Last edited by BigBert on 23 Jan 2013, 10:46, edited 29 times in total.
BigBert

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1539)
All-game rating: (1637)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: World War IV begins: Country assignments & Rules

Postby Ironhammer » 17 Aug 2011, 12:23

Good luck everybody.
You Obviously Love Owls
Ironhammer

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (942)
All-game rating: (947)
Timezone: GMT

Postby RedelMondo » 17 Aug 2011, 16:26

Thanks to both the GM and his assistant for runing this. This is going to be exciting!
GM of Greed 2: The Greedier. Come and join us!
RedelMondo

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 17 Aug 2011, 18:41

RedelMondo wrote:Thanks to both the GM and his assistant for runing this. This is going to be exciting!

So, I'm assistant to the GM and not assistant GM? :(
Just kidding, no frownie face lol, it doesn't matter :)
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby RedelMondo » 17 Aug 2011, 18:58

sinnybee wrote:
RedelMondo wrote:Thanks to both the GM and his assistant for runing this. This is going to be exciting!

So, I'm assistant to the GM and not assistant GM? :(
Just kidding, no frownie face lol, it doesn't matter :)

:lol:

You know what I meant! :)
GM of Greed 2: The Greedier. Come and join us!
RedelMondo

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Jlet » 17 Aug 2011, 23:40

Is there any specific way you want us to write orders? (F M jjj-bbb, jjj-bbb, etc)
Member of The Classicists.
Jlet

Standard rating: (1247)
All-game rating: (1248)

Postby heritikyl » 18 Aug 2011, 02:57

I don't know if anyone else had to do a bit of investigating, maybe I'm just slow, but the Amazon Empire's units are miscoloured:

heritikyl

Standard rating: (977)
All-game rating: (976)

Postby asudevil » 18 Aug 2011, 04:53

heritikyl wrote:I don't know if anyone else had to do a bit of investigating, maybe I'm just slow, but the Amazon Empire's units are miscoloured:

Why are you looking so close at my units...I look suspiciously at you...and plan my destruction of you accordingly
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497

Postby ninjaruler » 18 Aug 2011, 04:54

dude, you are going to get yourself killed if you don't stop being so hostile.
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby asudevil » 18 Aug 2011, 04:59

Me, Im a very peaceful Amazonian women culture. We are known for our peace loving ways. We are known as the French of the West.

Side note, is there anyway to get a blown up version of the map that would print on like 4 pages that I can tape together. Cause I cant keep this map up in the background while I am trying to figure out who is who...and who has all sent me messages.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497

Next

Return to Game 2