World War IV: full, but still looking for reserves

GM: BigBert. Winners: DOI (Canada), AardvarkArmy (California), asudevil (Amazon empire), Girion (Argentina), paulus (Kenya), thewysecat (Nigeria), and Chelonoidis (Song Empire)

Re: World War IV: full, but still looking for reserves

Postby asudevil » 17 Aug 2011, 05:19

Im excited for my first forum game...The map isnt changing right. I only ask so I can print it out and start figuring out how I can DOMINATE the world.

Is there an SC count for the win, or do games of this size generally just end in a draw.

Do we know what type of unit we have in each territory, or is it a Winter 1900 varient.

Are the edge sea zones 1 big sea zone, or are they separate that you would move from the east to west (of the same name)

Is it just me, or do the seas seem like a ton of spaces...I think fleets will be WAY important

Also, does like everyone have 3SC's that they should be able to get uncontested, so the first couple seasons should be kinda easy?

So stoked for a World Domination. I really want to be able to put in my tag at the bottom of my posts WORLD CHAMPION WW4...lol

Sorry If some of these are stupid questions, but I am just wondering.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby sinnybee » 17 Aug 2011, 06:55

asudevil wrote:Im excited for my first forum game... Good :) The map isnt changing right. Correct. I only ask so I can print it out and start figuring out how I can DOMINATE the world. Go ahead :)

Is there an SC count for the win, or do games of this size generally just end in a draw. Yes and yes. Rules will be out soon with the specifics.

Do we know what type of unit we have in each territory, or is it a Winter 1900 varient. Yes. At the bottom of each unit on the map it says "A" for army and "F" for fleet.

Are the edge sea zones 1 big sea zone, or are they separate that you would move from the east to west (of the same name) On the edge, there is an arrow to show that the same zone is listed twice for convenience.

Is it just me, or do the seas seem like a ton of spaces...I think fleets will be WAY important

Also, does like everyone have 3SC's that they should be able to get uncontested, so the first couple seasons should be kinda easy?

So stoked for a World Domination. I really want to be able to put in my tag at the bottom of my posts WORLD CHAMPION WW4...lol Good luck! ;)

Sorry If some of these are stupid questions, but I am just wondering.
Actually, they're ALL stupid questions! JUST KIDDING ;) Ask anything you want.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby Satillian » 17 Aug 2011, 07:00

I think as with most games the victory requirements are one half plus one of all the supply centres, but as you said, this game will most likely end in a draw.

I'm quite sure it is not a winter 1900 variant and the units are as they appear on the map.

I'm also fairly sure that the large sea zones are one zone and you are not required to move within them. For example, you could move a fleet in ECP to CPO, and then to MIP.

As you say, fleets will be extremely important, but of course this varies depending on which nation you are.

Finally, in my opinion at least, the first year will be extremely difficult. This is because most nations are surrounded on most sides by other players, and they will need to hash out which direction they are going in and which centres they will take with their neighbours. To underestimate the importance of communication in the first year could be fatal in a game of this magnitude.

PS: Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.
Satillian

Standard rating: (1252)
All-game rating: (1254)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sinnybee » 17 Aug 2011, 07:13

You're correct, Satillian. Again, rules will be out soon, which will hopefully clear up most questions.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby BigBert » 17 Aug 2011, 09:55

Ha, I see Sinnybee had already posted the Country Assignments. :)

I've opened a new topic over here:
viewtopic.php?f=323&t=22111&p=304034#p304034
It contains all the rules, the country assignments and such. If there are still questions with regard to the rules, feel free to post or PM them. And remember: there are no stupid questions! (only stupid people ;))
BigBert

Standard rating: (1539)
All-game rating: (1637)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby asudevil » 17 Aug 2011, 15:23

BigBert wrote:Ha, I see Sinnybee had already posted the Country Assignments. :)

I've opened a new topic over here:
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 34#p304034
It contains all the rules, the country assignments and such. If there are still questions with regard to the rules, feel free to post or PM them. And remember: there are no stupid questions! (only stupid people ;))

I say that all the time in my math class...I drop my head in shame that it is being said about me...
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447

Previous

Return to Game 2