WW 4 Diplomacy Redux (Experienced GM NEEDED!!!)

GM: BigBert. Winners: DOI (Canada), AardvarkArmy (California), asudevil (Amazon empire), Girion (Argentina), paulus (Kenya), thewysecat (Nigeria), and Chelonoidis (Song Empire)

WW 4 Diplomacy Redux (Experienced GM NEEDED!!!)

Postby aquabear123 » 09 May 2011, 04:06

TL;DR: If you want in on this variant, post in the thread with the 5 countries you most want to play (In descending order). We're looking for a GM willing to run this game right now, so if you'd like to, or know someone who may, please say so. The rules are explained in the link below, as well as at the bottom of the map image connected to this post. I also added some bullet points to clarify things people had questions about. Any questions? Post them in the thread!

Hello! I am new to this site, but I saw in the old history that the WW4 variant was successfully started and completed on this site! I find that to be amazing! This gives me hope, as I have always wanted to try this Diplomacy variant, but I have never had enough people. This is a post just to see if there is still substantial interest on the site, and if perhaps another game could get started any time soon. :)

I'll attach the map, or perhaps link it if it's too large. The added rules are stated on the map, and otherwise, I believe everything is the same as Classic Dip. If anyone who played before has any suggestions, please feel free to add those too!

Aquabear

Choosing will be done randomly with preferences. List up to five of your favorite countries, and if there are conflicts I'll randomly choose one of the players. In the event that you have no preference listed, or you don't make your first preference and haven't listed more, I'll assign the remaining countries randomly.

EDIT:

Only 6 more to go! Are you all ready to rrrrumble?!?!

This has grown much faster in the past month than ever before, and there have been 10 new players since I last checked the thread. I suppose that's partially because it's summer (in my hemisphere anyway), but it's really exciting! It appears that we'll soon have enough people to play if it keeps growing at this rate. However, there's a few issues we need to address, especially now that we get closer to having this game actually happen.

1. I have been told that I don't really have enough experience to start off trying to GM a game of this magnitude. We need someone willing to GM a game with 36 players.

2. What should the deadlines be? Obviously, with this large a map, I think anything less than 5 days between orders is pushing it, and I personally would prefer anywhere between a week and 10 days.

3. I need a way for everyone signed up here to confirm that they're still interested. A couple of the people who signed up early on haven't posted in this thread once since they signed up. I have no way of knowing if they still want to play. However, I don't want to flood this thread with tons of people commenting "I'm still in!" so I think it's best if you could just send me a PM titled "WW4: Still interested". I won't even need to read the PM, and I'll know that the person who sent it still desires to play. If I don't receive a message like this from a player by the time we get 35, I'm going to put them on a tentative list, and anyone new who signs up will replace them unless they PM me first. I hope everyone thinks this is reasonable, but if you have any objections, I'm willing to change things around. (I am adding a little '+' by the names of those people who have sent me a "WW4: Still interested" PM. Please look for this next to your name below if you are unsure whether I received your message.)

35 are required to fill the game. We currently have 29 people interested.

People With Interest:
1. stalin813 + (Manchuria, Song Empire, India, Japan, Indonesia)
2. Aquabear123 (Japan, Kenya, Australia, Sichuan Empire, Manchuria)
3. Yhanthlei + (1. Central Asia 2. Russia 3. Iran 4. Turkey 5. Egypt)
4. slayer666 + (1. India)
5. dasotey + (Brazil, Nigeria, Thailand, Australia or Sichuan Empire)
6. AHarlequin
7. Oedrannus (Wants to be NCE [I'm not sure what that translates to in this map, but he called dibs])
8. Lrioje1 (1. TEXAS 2. United States 3. California 4. Mexico 5. llinois)
9. AardvarkArmy (1. California 2. Cuba 3. Indonesia 4. Japan 5. UK [6. South Africa 7. Australia])
10. MasterGR
11. DOI
12. RedelMondo (South Africa)
13. Tooth1066
14. Chelonoidis (1. Song 2. Sichuan 3. Australia 4. Indonesia 5. Philippines)
15. Paulus + (No Oceana or Australia)
16. BruceLee (South America)
17. AirikrStrife (1. Central Asia 2. Kenya 3. Oceania 4. Illinois 5. Inca empire)
18. Giriom (1.Australia 2.India 3. Argentina 4.South Africa 5.Japan)
19. cjill73 + (1. Canada 2. Quebec 3. United States 4. Texas 5. California)
20. ninjaruler + (1. Brazil 2. Canada 3. Amazon Empire 4. Argentina 5. Inca empire
21. vaderi + (1. Inca Empire 2. Amazon Empire 3. Quebec 4. Philippines 5. India)
22. Kaabistar + (1. Canada 2. Quebec 3. Japan 4. Manchuria 5. Central Asia [I know you said in no exact order, but for the matchmaking to work right, I need to number the preferences. I'll number them the way you wrote it unless you specify otherwise])
23. Beregon (1. Oceania 2. South Africa 3. Argentina 4. Inca Empire 5. Amazon Empire
24. heritikyl + (1. South Africa 2. Nigeria)
25. SultanAckbar + (1. Australia 2. Indonesia 3. Thailand 4. Song Empire 5. Manchuria)
26. Monitora (1. Brazil 2. Carribean 3. Peru 4. Oceania 5. Argentina)
27. Gabroi (1. Canada 2. Russia 3. Central Asia)
28. Robert Gesualdo
29. sjg11

Three games using this map have been completed successfully, the links are at dipwiki. (Below) The map for this appears to be slightly more balanced than the previous WW4 map, though I haven't played through either for confirmation.
http://www.dipwiki.com/index.php?title=World_War_IV
This is the page from which the map was found.

For Rules Clarity:
-The islands surrounded by water work a bit like Denmark. They're one territory that can be occupied by either an army or a fleet. Convoys can pass through them, but armies can only move to and from them by convoy.
-The map is build anywhere. (Any open supply center under your control)
-The red 'bridges' work equally for fleets and armies
Attachments
WWIVnewest.gif
WWIVnewest.gif (194.68 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
Last edited by aquabear123 on 29 Jun 2011, 23:44, edited 44 times in total.
aquabear123

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1023)
Timezone: GMT

Re: WW 4 Diplomacy Redux

Postby stalin813 » 09 May 2011, 04:17

I'd be game. Looks like craziness.

Manchuria, Song Empire, India, Japan, Indonesia
Last edited by stalin813 on 26 May 2011, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby aquabear123 » 09 May 2011, 04:23

I know! It seemed from the AAR that everyone who played last time enjoyed it pretty well too. I hope there's a lot of interest this time too.
aquabear123

Postby Yhanthlei » 09 May 2011, 04:26

I'm interested. How would nations be assigned?
Anglia in Heptarchy test game A
Yhanthlei

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby cs » 09 May 2011, 04:29

A great game--I played in the last one--but there are some issues with the map that need to be adjusted. Specifically, there aren't enough non-SC ocean territories to avoid massive stalemate lines developing. Read the analysis on the last game for more info. THe last one ended up in an 11-way draw, which was a little disappointing after investing a year of one's life in something. :)
cs

Postby aquabear123 » 09 May 2011, 04:30

Nations can be decided either by preference or randomization, whatever the popular demand seems to be. I can randomize the countries with an online dice roller and list of names and numbers if no one else knows of an easier way.

Edit:Choosing will be done randomly with preferences. List your top five countries, and if there are conflicts I'll randomly choose one of the players.
Last edited by aquabear123 on 21 May 2011, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
aquabear123

Postby sinnybee » 09 May 2011, 04:35

aquabear123 wrote:I am willing to DM the game, though in truth I would much prefer to play in it.

DM?
Isn't that a D&D reference?
Sorry mister, but here we say "GM" :P
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby cs » 09 May 2011, 05:15

If you haven't ever GM'ed a game before, this probably isn't the one you want to start off with. an49 did an excellent job with the last one, but it was an enormous amount of work.
cs

Postby Yhanthlei » 09 May 2011, 05:20

@sinnybee: The planet is suspended inside a large underground structure, of course. At least, it is if the DM says it is.
Anglia in Heptarchy test game A
Yhanthlei

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Lrioje1 » 09 May 2011, 05:38

I don't understand one thing, on the islands that are surrounded by a circle of water, how would you support into them? if you can't support into them, how would you take them if they're occupied?
Lrioje1

Timezone: GMT-6

Next

Return to Game 2