Quick Guide: Can I move from A to B?

Some questions come up a lot... look here for simple explanations of the rules.

Quick Guide: Can I move from A to B?

Postby jaelis » 29 Jul 2011, 17:59

Sometimes people have questions about where you can move with what kind of unit. The map below may help answer such questions. It shows all the territories on the map, with lines connecting adjacent territories. So if there is no line between two territories in question, then you cannot move or support from one to the other.

When there is a line between two areas, the ability to move from one to the other may still depend on what type of unit is being used. Ellipses (eg, Munich) represent land territories, which can only be entered by armies. Rectangles (eg, Irish Sea) are sea territories, that can be entered only by fleets. Rounded rectangles (eg, North Africa) are coastal territories, open to both armies and fleets. The line colors tell you which type of unit can follow that route: brown lines indicate armies only, blue lines indicate fleets only, and black lines work for either.

Finally, Saint Petersburg, Spain, and Bulgaria each have two coasts (see here), so adjacent territories are marked according to what coast they are adjacent to. If no coast is indicated (eg, StP and Moscow), then only armies can move across that border and coasts are irrelevant.

Territories with centers are marked with heavy outlines, and the colors indicate the starting country for convenience. If you can't see the full image, try right clicking on it and select "View Image."

A few specific issues about the Playdip game map:

Denmark, Kiel, and Constantinople are confusing, because it is not obvious from the map how fleets and armies can move through them. For armies, just ignore the "water" part of the space. You can enter the space from any adjacent land space, and leave again to any other land space. Thus an army could move from Munich to Kiel to Denmark to Sweden, without any concern for the water crossings involved. Similarly, an army can move from Smyrna to Constantinople to Bulgaria. For fleets, just ignore the "land" part of the space. You can enter the space from any adjacent sea or coastal territory, and leave again to any other. Thus a fleet can move from Helgoland to Kiel to Baltic, or North Sea to Denmark to Baltic, or Black Sea to Constantinople to Aegean.

Sweden can be confusing because on the map, it looks like it has two coasts. It does not: a fleet can enter Sweden from the Skagerrak and leave to the Baltic.

On some maps, the gap between North Africa and Spain is very small and it looks like you can travel directly from one to the other. However, the two spaces are not adjacent. To get from one to the other you must move through the Western Mediterranean Sea or the Mid-Atlantic Ocean (either via regular fleet movement or via a convoy.) By the same token, Western Mediterranean Sea and Mid-Atlantic Ocean are adjacent.
Last edited by jaelis on 02 Nov 2012, 15:22, edited 37 times in total.
jaelis

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Denmark, Kiel, and Constantinople

Postby cs » 29 Jul 2011, 19:15

Well put.
cs

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Re: Denmark, Kiel, Constantinople & North Africa/Spain

Postby rick.leeds » 29 Jul 2011, 21:52

Hope you don't mind that I edited the thread title, jaelis, but I wanted to add the North Africa/Spain bit.

There are questions about whether an army can move between Naf and Spa quite often. On some maps the gap there is non-existent and people get easily confused. The answer - unlike the others in jaelis' examples - is that no unit can move between North Africa and Spain. The Western Med is in the way. An army needs to be convoyed across; a fleet needs to move Naf-WMS and WMS-Spa(sc).
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Denmark, Kiel, Constantinople & North Africa/Spain

Postby jaelis » 29 Jul 2011, 22:19

Added to the OP. Maybe the title should be something like "Questions about the Map"? Could add the list of territories with two coasts as well.

-------

Edit: I thought maybe this map would be more helpful. In case it's not, here's the previous discussion:

For the most part, the Diplomacy map is pretty self-explanatory. But not entirely, there are a few special places that can generate questions. Here are some answers.

Saint Petersburg, Spain, and Bulgaria are coastal provinces with two coasts. They have several special rules, summarized here.

Denmark, Kiel, Constantinople are confusing, because it is not obvious from the map how fleets and armies can move through them. Here is how it works:

For armies, just ignore the "water" part of the space. You can enter the space from any adjacent land space, and leave again to any other land space. Thus an army could move from Munich to Kiel to Denmark to Sweden, without any concern for the water crossings involved. Similarly, an army can move from Smyrna to Constantinople to Bulgaria.

For fleets, just ignore the "land" part of the space. You can enter the space from any adjacent sea or coastal territory, and leave again to any other. Thus a fleet can move from Helgoland to Kiel to Baltic, or North Sea to Denmark to Baltic, or Black Sea to Constantinople to Aegean. That said, these territories are coastal spaces, not open sea, so you can't use a fleet in one as part of a convoy.

North Africa and Spain sometimes generate questions, because on some maps the gap between them is non-existent and it looks like you can travel directly from one to the other. As the Playdip map more clearly shows, that is not the case. The two spaces are not adjacent, and to get from one to the other you must move through the Western Mediterranean Sea or the Mid-Atlantic Ocean (either via regular fleet movement or via a convoy.) By the same token, Western Mediterranean Sea and Mid-Atlantic Ocean are adjacent.
jaelis

Re: Can I move from A to B?

Postby Freddafred » 15 Mar 2012, 22:05

This is also a good one:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:Freddafred is smart
Italy in Crowded
Carthage in Ancient Med
Barbarians in Haven
Mexico in WW4
Vandals in Barbaria
Spain in Conquest
III3
Italy in Modern
Russia in Stew
Mordor in MEBR
England in 3 turn
USSR in Versailles 3
The Greecians in ECYOC
Zarami in FCYOC
Freddafred

Postby jaelis » 30 Mar 2012, 14:26

Cool!
jaelis

Postby Freddafred » 30 Mar 2012, 23:18

I just found your map hard to read.(no offense)
Thomas Jefferson wrote:Freddafred is smart
Italy in Crowded
Carthage in Ancient Med
Barbarians in Haven
Mexico in WW4
Vandals in Barbaria
Spain in Conquest
III3
Italy in Modern
Russia in Stew
Mordor in MEBR
England in 3 turn
USSR in Versailles 3
The Greecians in ECYOC
Zarami in FCYOC
Freddafred

Postby jaelis » 31 Mar 2012, 04:01

Did you make it? I would argue that Kiel should also be green.
jaelis

Postby asudevil » 31 Mar 2012, 04:07

jaelis wrote:Did you make it? I would argue that Kiel should also be green.

I would almost say Kiel, instead of DEN.

Also, it doesnt show how fleets CANT move from ROM-VEN and stuff...I like jaelis' better...but that's just me.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Bluewolf » 05 Apr 2012, 01:46

he didn't make it.
Bluewolf

Standard rating: (897)