Quick Guide: Cutting Support

Some questions come up a lot... look here for simple explanations of the rules.

Quick Guide: Cutting Support

Postby rick.leeds » 28 Jul 2011, 22:17

The support order is possibly the most influential order in the game of Dip. Without units providing support, no spaces would swap hands! So it is fair enough to say that it is important to know about how and when support can be cut.

Cutting support is when an enemy unit attacks your supporting unit... eg:
FRANCE: Picardy > Belgium; Burgundy SUPPORT Picardy > Belgium.
GERMANY: Belgium HOLD; Munich > Burgundy.
Here France is trying to take Belgium using Burgundy to support Picardy's attack. Germany, however, manages to cut the support order of Burgundy by ordering Mun > Bur.

There are three things to remember when trying to CUT SUPPORT:

1. Any attack on a unit giving support WILL cut that support UNLESS it is attacked from the space the support is being given into.
2. If a unit giving support is dislodged, it's support is cut.
3. As an attack on your own unit has no effect on that unit, you cannot cut your own support.

1) The most important one... ANY attack on a unit that is supporting WILL CUT THAT SUPPORT. The attack doesn't have to be successful, and it doesn't matter what else happens to the enemy unit or to your unit: if the supporting unit is attacked, that support is cut.
eg: RUSSIA: A(Sevastopol) MOVE TO Rumania; F(Black Sea) SUPPORT Sev-Rum; A(Vienna) MOVE TO Budapest; A(Galicia) SUPPORT Vie-Bud.
AUSTRIA: A(Trieste) MOVE TO Budapest; A(Rumania) MOVE TO Galicia.
Here, the double attack by Russia on Rumania succeeds and Rumania is dislodged. However, even though dislodged, Rumania's attack on Galicia STILL cuts Galicia's support for Vie-Bud. Tri-Bud will therefore stand off Vie-Bud.

eg: ITALY: A(Venice) MOVE TO Trieste; A(Tyrolia) SUPPORT Ven-Tri; A(Piedmont) SUPPORT Tyl HOLD.
AUSTRIA: F(Adriatic) MOVE TO Trieste; A(Vienna) MOVE TO Tyrolia.
Here, Italy has Pied correctly supporting Tyl to hold, and Tyl is trying to support Ven-Tri. However, Austria's order of Vie-Tyl succeeds in cutting Tyl's support, and ADR-Tri is able to stand Ven-Tri off. Piedmont's support does nothing to prevent that happening.

So remember, if your unit that is supporting is attacked, that support WILL be cut, no matter what else happens... UNLESS it is attacked from the space it is supporting into!
eg: ENGLAND: A(London) MOVE TO Wales.
FRANCE: F(English Channel) MOVE TO London; A(Wales) SUPPORT ENG-Lon.
Here England tries to cut the support of the unit in Wales, but because Wales is supporting an attack on London itself, that doesn't work.

2) If a unit is dislodged, then it's support is cut (no matter where it is disldged from
eg: RUSSIA: A(Finland) MOVE TO Norway; A(St Petersburg) SUPPORT Fin-Nwy.
ENGLAND: F(Norway) MOVE TO St Petersburg; F(Barents Sea) SUPPORT Nwy-StP; F(North Sea) MOVE TO Norway.
Here, because Nwy successfully attacks and dislodges StP, the support from StP for Fin-Nwy IS cut. Notice, though, that because Nwy-StP works, Norway is itself empty for Fin-Nwy to succeed... only the order NTS-Nwy prevents that happening.

3) You CANNOT cut your own support.
eg:ENGLAND: F(Wales) MOVE TO English Channel; F(London_ SUPPORT Wal-ENG; F(North Sea) MOVE TO London.
FRANCE: F(Brest) MOVE TO English Channel.
Here the support from London is NOT cut by the move to London by North Sea because England controls both units. If the attack had been by another power's units, it would have worked.
This is an important rule to remember: you cannot damage the orders of your own units. So even if FRANCE had ordered, say, A(Yorkshire) SUPPORT NTS-Lon, because the unit in North Sea is still English it cannot change the orders of the English unit in London. You cannot dislodge your own units, and you can't cut your own unit's support order.

As mentioned below, a convoyed unit could also cut support.
eg: GERMANY: A(Burgundy) MOVE TO Picardy; A(Belgium) SUPPORT Bur-Pic.
ENGLAND: A(London) MOVE TO Belgium; F(North Sea) CONVOY Lon-Bel.
Here, Lon-Bel will cut the support from Bel for Bur-Pic.

However, if the convoy is prevented, by dislodging the the fleet in NTS, then the convoy doesn't happen and support isn't cut.
eg: GERMANY: A(Burgundy) MOVE TO Picardy; A(Belgium) SUPPORT Bur-Pic; F(Sweden) MOVE TO North Sea; F(Denmark) SUPPORT Swe-NTS.

Bouncing the convoyed unit WILL NOT have the same effect, though.
eg: GERMANY: A(Burgundy) MOVE TO Picardy; A(Belgium) SUPPORT Bur-Pic; A(Holland) MOVE TO Belgium.
Here, although Hol-Bel causes a stand-off ("bounce") with Lon-Bel, Lon-Bel STILL cuts that support.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Cutting Support

Postby jaelis » 29 Jul 2011, 16:21

It's a little pedantic, but there is one other situation where an attacking unit can fail to cut support: if the attack is via convoy and the support is for a move that would dislodge one of the convoying fleets :D
jaelis

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Cutting Support

Postby rick.leeds » 29 Jul 2011, 16:49

jaelis wrote:It's a little pedantic, but there is one other situation where an attacking unit can fail to cut support: if the attack is via convoy and the support is for a move that would dislodge one of the convoying fleets :D

I re-wrote the post, changing it so that (hopefully) it is a little clearer, and added a section. Thanks :)
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Re: Quick Guide: Cutting Support

Postby Nicolas Eymerich » 08 Sep 2015, 12:30

Hi guys!
I'm new to the game and I'm a bit confused...
I read that "Any attack on a unit giving support WILL cut that support UNLESS it is attacked from the space the support is being given into."...great to know :D
But then, in the section 2 of your notes I read:

2) If a unit is dislodged, then it's support is cut (no matter where it is disldged from
eg: RUSSIA: A(Finland) MOVE TO Norway; A(St Petersburg) SUPPORT Fin-Nwy.
ENGLAND: F(Norway) MOVE TO St Petersburg; F(Barents Sea) SUPPORT Nwy-StP; F(North Sea) MOVE TO Norway.
Here, because Nwy successfully attacks and dislodges StP, the support from StP for Fin-Nwy IS cut. Notice, though, that because Nwy-StP works, Norway is itself empty for Fin-Nwy to succeed... only the order NTS-Nwy prevents that happening.

I don't understand why English attack works and Russian one not...Russia attacks Norway with strenght 2, England idem. The difference is that England attack the region from which comes a support, but this support is against the space from which the attack comes, so for the first assumption is not cut...Is this correct or no? I'm so confused :(
Thanks for all clarifications, and sorry for my baad english...
Francesco
Nicolas Eymerich

Standard rating: (960)
All-game rating: (963)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby super_dipsy » 08 Sep 2015, 12:40

The difference here is that the English attack is on the supporter, St. Petersburg. The rules say that this does not cut support (as you rightly said) UNLESS the attack dislodges the unit in which case support IS cut. Since St P is not supported, and since the attack on Norway came from Finland and not St P, the Norwegian attack on St P dislodges it (2v1). BECAUSE it is dislodged, the other action (Russian Finland - Norway) is now strength 1, and bounces with the incoming unit from England.

By the way, if youa re in any doubt ever in a game, you can clock on the Orders Solver tab and try out whatever orders you wish.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)

Postby Nicolas Eymerich » 08 Sep 2015, 12:48

Ok, ty :D
Nicolas Eymerich

Standard rating: (960)
All-game rating: (963)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby red1234 » 26 Nov 2016, 22:27

Is there a way to prevent a unit from cutting support by attacking that unit.

For example, Noway is unoccupied

Russia has A in St. P and F in Gulf of Bothnia. Germany has A Sweden, F Baltic, and F Ska.

Germany: F Ska M Norway, A Sweden S F Ska M Norway, F Baltic M Gulf of Bothnia

Russia: A St. P M Norway, F Gulf of Bothnia M Sweden (to cut support)

Since the fleet in Bothnia is attacking Sweden to cut support, will St. P and Ska bounce, with no one taking Norway, even though Bothnia is being attacked by F Baltic? Does Bothnia's order still cut support (since the supporting Sweden unit is still being attacked)?
red1234

Standard rating: (932)
All-game rating: (933)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby red1234 » 26 Nov 2016, 22:30

A follow-up question: Would dislodging the fleet in the Gulf of Bothnia cause its support-cutting of Sweden to be nullified?
red1234

Standard rating: (932)
All-game rating: (933)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Carebear » 26 Nov 2016, 23:48

red1234 wrote:Is there a way to prevent a unit from cutting support by attacking that unit.

No.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Carebear » 26 Nov 2016, 23:48

red1234 wrote:A follow-up question: Would dislodging the fleet in the Gulf of Bothnia cause its support-cutting of Sweden to be nullified?

No.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Next

Return to Regular Rules Issues Explained