Climate Change

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Re: Climate Change

Postby schocker » 31 Aug 2019, 01:06

The O....I think the whole thing is just political bull sh-t. Greens were Reds and now are attacking capitalism. I do not believe in MAN made climate change and still await a model that is correct.
Member of The Classicists
schocker
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1421
All-game rating: 1417
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Strategus » 31 Aug 2019, 09:52

schocker wrote:The O....I think the whole thing is just political bull sh-t. Greens were Reds and now are attacking capitalism. I do not believe in MAN made climate change and still await a model that is correct.

It is obvious that man contributes to climate change. But not obvious that it is entirely man made from the info I have seen.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1708
Timezone: GMT

Postby schocker » 31 Aug 2019, 15:27

Strategus wrote:
schocker wrote:The O....I think the whole thing is just political bull sh-t. Greens were Reds and now are attacking capitalism. I do not believe in MAN made climate change and still await a model that is correct.

It is obvious that man contributes to climate change. But not obvious that it is entirely man made from the info I have seen.

I am good with that.....
schocker
Premium Member

Postby beowulf7 » 31 Aug 2019, 15:35

Greens were Reds and now are attacking capitalism

A particularly narrow view of the world. Sure, if you're a staunch Republican who maybe thinks McCarthy only did half a good job then you can split the world into "us" (rootin'-tootin' -oil-drilling' good ol' boys! I've got my own arsenal!) and them (Ruskies!). Dr Strangelove :)

But the world outside of the US political division is more nuanced. Strangely the "reds" (we should include Russia, China and N Korea) are right at the bottom of the Green movement. The European Green party is actually a staunch opponent of European Communist parties. Green politics is being driven by Europe's liberals - and, despite the us/them divide, liberalism is a long way from communism. Im not sure your suggestion that Green is the new REd is correct - but you are right that they are both "not you".

Liberals, Greens and the other similar parties inhabit the center - the "add a penny on tax and spend it on health/education". These are people who pride themselves that they care about more than their own situation. It's a "open" world view rather than a "circle the wagons" one.

I care that poor communities in the pacific will lose their homes, I car that people whose only sin was to be born into a minority are threatened - I care enough to stop Texan oil barons or Brazilian tycoons adding to their bank accounts.
beowulf7

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (962)
All-game rating: (963)

Postby schocker » 31 Aug 2019, 16:28

I just love talking to arrogant people who seem to think they are so intelligent and superior. They always go for low hanging insults. It is great to have the debate section back in true form. LOL Been putting up with this type of behavior since University. So predictable.
schocker
Premium Member

Postby beowulf7 » 31 Aug 2019, 19:43

Chuckle - that's one way of looking at it :)
beowulf7

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (962)
All-game rating: (963)

Postby WHSeward » 31 Aug 2019, 20:42

beowulf7 wrote:I care that poor communities in the pacific will lose their homes, I car that people whose only sin was to be born into a minority are threatened - I care enough to stop Texan oil barons or Brazilian tycoons adding to their bank accounts.

Bey,

I expect something like that from a righty caricature, but here you put it in print...

You wrap yourself in the glow of virtue and sanctimony because YOU care for others...
but you only care enough to stop OTHER people, to impose costs on them.

So noble. :roll:

It's the same (well, really it's worse) in the US. The left proposes a Green New Deal (and free college and free health care) but not a penny to pay for it, except of course "wealth taxes" or "financial transaction taxes". Yes, be green (and give us lots of other goodies) but do make someone else pay for it. It is pitiful.

Strategus wrote:Like I said before, if we agree it is not going to get stopped, we are pissing about while it is happening. We need to plan for what we are going to do when the temp rises, when the sea levels rise, etc, etc.
Strategus wrote:It is obvious that man contributes to climate change...

If it is obvious (and indeed it is) you should answer, "why not do both?" Why not prepare for the inevitable effects of climate change AND stop contributing to it? The data you has seen in this very thread should show you that the temperature change we are observing is coming primarily from man. It makes the job of mitigation easier if you reduce the level of damage.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Strategus » 31 Aug 2019, 20:51

It doesn't tell me it is coming primarily from man.

I did WDC 2017

Strategus

Postby WHSeward » 31 Aug 2019, 21:08

What did

mean if it didn't mean "its coming from man"? If you are hanging your hat on the word "primarily" go ahead an scratch it out, it doesn't change the logical action - mitigation AND damage reduction - (though the data in this thread alone does show that "primarily" is the right adjective.)

Go click on that comic again if you prefer pictures, or peruse the IPCC reports if you prefer text and data.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Strategus » 31 Aug 2019, 21:30

WHSeward wrote:What did

mean if it didn't mean "its coming from man"? If you are hanging your hat on the word "primarily" go ahead an scratch it out, it doesn't change the logical action - mitigation AND damage reduction - (though the data in this thread alone does show that "primarily" is the right adjective.)

Go click on that comic again if you prefer pictures, or peruse the IPCC reports if you prefer text and data.

Yeah, the comic. Doesn't prove anything.

I did WDC 2017

Strategus

PreviousNext

Return to Debates