Win rate: 1.0
Win rate as scum: 1.0
Win rate as town: 1.0
% of time Day Killed: 0
% of times scum team have lost before the end of D2 when I am town: 75
# of times I've had Gregor killed: not enough

;)
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Infinite Jest Mafia - ONAN Win!

Postby Fatmo » 28 Mar 2021, 01:08

Blackswimmer wrote:
Fatmo wrote:That was fun to follow. Shame on you all for ending it N1.

Was there a spec thread? If so, I wanna see it!

https://discord.gg/3u9HRy7G

Oh, and Greg, I started getting suspicious of Harb for very similar reasons you seemed to be in the thread. I know a few people had various ways of being suspicious of him, and as town I do tend to like reads like that, where lots of people are coming to the same read from different places. Yours looked to be the closest to mine.

I might have voted Keir by EOD, especially with that last pop-in. But I thought he was town or at least on the towny side of null for most of the day. So did most of the handful of us in spec chat.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 28 Mar 2021, 01:35

Would be curious to hear what percentage of the Kim townread was based specifically on the Miller thing, and what percentage was based holistically off her play all day. I got the sense the latter was stronger than the former but I could certainly be wrong
UpsideDownChuck

Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)

Postby Justinrs2 » 28 Mar 2021, 01:47

UpsideDownChuck wrote:Would be curious to hear what percentage of the Kim townread was based specifically on the Miller thing, and what percentage was based holistically off her play all day. I got the sense the latter was stronger than the former but I could certainly be wrong

The miller thing played no part in my thought process whatsoever.
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195

Postby Fatmo » 28 Mar 2021, 01:58

UpsideDownChuck wrote:Would be curious to hear what percentage of the Kim townread was based specifically on the Miller thing, and what percentage was based holistically off her play all day. I got the sense the latter was stronger than the former but I could certainly be wrong

I townread her fairly early as an observer. It had pretty much nothing to do with the miller thing.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Harb » 28 Mar 2021, 02:08

Really solid work from the town. It pulled a lot out of the random chatter in a very productive way. Strat, I don't feel like people were listening as much as they might have but you made points that made me wince frequently. People have already commented on Kim, and sjg you showed a lot more pivot this game than I feel like you used to. Nice evolution there.

I'll echo a bit of what Keir said and say I just cannot keep pace with these games. Even recognizing that Chatgate was a big chunk of posting, there's just an element of not being able to stay RELEVANT in a game without being around all the time to participate real time or an ability to sift through a large amount of content in one go.

A couple definite goofs I made -

1. Should have targeted sjg N1. I knew in my heart this game wasn't going to D2, and it hurts me inside that I wasn't the one to end him.
2. Should have pointed out Strat's meta before Kim did. I knew it was there, but I wasn't willing to commit to killing Keir that early. I kept looking for a way out of it and I should have just gone all in.
3. Lack of follow up. I didn't bring back up things I'd previously asked about as much as I should have. Part of this was things just ending up in the past, but also I wasn't tracking as well as I should have.

My personal points of interest:

Man is meta tough to work with as scum. I kept trying to play to the way I know I behave as town, and people kept picking other parts of my town play to say I WASN'T playing to. :D Or, for those that aren't familiar with my town play cause they haven't been haunting this site for 5 years, they had issues with things I did that are in keeping with my town play but might otherwise be concerns.

On the other side, easy to pick out patterns of behavior (it's really hard not to see Strat as a town lock once you do even a cursory review of his previous play) makes it hard to drum up issues with others.

Doesn't matter how badly things go, man is it fun to play this game with you all.
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Keirador » 28 Mar 2021, 02:25

Harb wrote:On the other side, easy to pick out patterns of behavior (it's really hard not to see Strat as a town lock once you do even a cursory review of his previous play) makes it hard to drum up issues with others.

I want to pick at this, even if it isn't fun or happy.

Everybody needs to actually try as scum. It should not be allowed to sign up for game after game, and then take an interest if you're town but just completely bail if you're scum.

We have a few frequent-flier players that can easily townclear themselves just by continuing to try, because if they were scum they'd have just fucked off. This is not a tenable state of affairs. If I declared formally that I didn't like playing scum and would surrender immediately every time I drew scum, I imagine GMs wouldn't allow me to play their games. Some players seem to be pursuing that tactic without declaring it formally, and I don't think it's cool.

I'm most specifically talking about Strat and dwilts, but I think the general idea that "I drew scum I don't fucking care anymore" extends way beyond those two players.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby sjg11 » 28 Mar 2021, 02:51

I agree on Dwiltse who could and should make more of an effort as scum next time he draws it. I had no issues with Strat’s level of interest, engagement and participation in MCV even if there were marked tonal differences between that and his regular town play
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby kimpossible » 28 Mar 2021, 03:32

sjg11 wrote:I agree on Dwiltse who could and should make more of an effort as scum next time he draws it. I had no issues with Strat’s level of interest, engagement and participation in MCV even if there were marked tonal differences between that and his regular town play

I agree on this. I think when Strat plays scum it’s not that he doesn’t care, it’s that he struggles to engage in a townie way.

I’m wincing a little internally since I know I was guilty of “draw scum, stop playing” last time, but I was actually sick. Not sure if you’re including me in the generalized complaint or not.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby AKFD » 28 Mar 2021, 08:24

Marking this. Really nice game UDC!
Silver Classicist! (well, I used to be one)

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.

Telleo wrote: I hereby dub AKFD the official PlayDip Mafia Royal Historian.
AKFD

Standard rating: (834)
All-game rating: (772)
Timezone: GMT+8

PreviousNext

Return to AARs