Infinite Jest Mafia - ONAN Win!

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Infinite Jest Mafia - ONAN Win!

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 27 Mar 2021, 20:52

Congratulations to the town and condolences to the scum. I'm a little sad this ended so quickly but am generally happy with how the game went. Here is a link to the gm sheet:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17Rz ... sp=sharing

In terms of game design, I had a few ideas:

1) Challenge some of the assumptions that underlie typical 'GM tea-leaf reading'. I thought with the neighbour chat people would expect probably 1 wolf and 2 villagers from a balance perspective. And if the town had proceeded under this assumption and treated it like a tri-pole that could have been losing. That was mentioned in chat but didn't end up being a big consideration. There was only one vanilla town, kim, which could potentially have seemed suspicious if people made similar reasoning to planeswalker mafia and starting with creatures.

2) Give the scum some stuff to do from the get-go. I gave the scum one name claim that seemed like it should be pretty safe, and one that was very dangerous. They could have either gone miller-claim with Remy, or tried to do a fake name claim instead, which of course encourages compromising info sec and getting some townies to hint at their name before they are forced to claim. They also had some awareness of a potential IR role, and had a tool to deal with it in the thieving, and also maybe could have inferred that Hal was an important role if he'd name claimed.

3) Explore private messaging and how it could be a town positive tool. I anticipated the 3-way chat might be ignored for much of D1, as people wouldn't know the alignments of their chatees and would distrust putting anything in there. Escaton was designed to tempt players into using it since if they could trust each other, they could coordinate their shot, which ended up happening. But there was also a risk that if they coordinated in chat it would get leaked to the mafia, at least there was from the perspective of a townie who didn't know the other two's alignments.

Anyway, as far as the game went, it ended up being an extremely high posting D1, and as it happened the two players who couldn't keep up were also the two wolves. To what extent that is a coincidence, and to what extent it is simply harder to post as a wolf, I cannot say. I suspect a bit of both. But good job village on correctly clearing yourselves and each other, and forming a strong POE D1.
UpsideDownChuck

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Infinite Jest Mafia - ONAN Win!

Postby Justinrs2 » 27 Mar 2021, 20:56

I said this in private chat to explain a Harb/Keir team. Is this a fair summation @Harb and @Keir?
justinrs2 wrote:I think Harb/Keir makes the most sense. I can see the narrative; they're starting up as old friends on a scumteam having a good time, these townie idiots come along with their stupid chat that is insane and makes no sense, things look chaotic and they can let things be. And yet they then have to watch as it generates TRs that allow PoE cases to be made on GD D1. They try to slow down this process, but the pace of the thread is faster than they are used to. Kids these days.
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195

Postby Justinrs2 » 27 Mar 2021, 21:05

Kimpossible for MVP. If possible, she ought to reclaim the Aura of Greater Towniness or whatever it's called, she earned TRs immediately and got Keir dead to rights on D1, an impressive task.
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 27 Mar 2021, 21:07

agreed with justin also i was mario
I'm me I'm odd learn to deal with it... all geniuses' are crazy...
Timeclock of Confusion :?:,
Dwiltse1114

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1048)
Timezone: GMT

Postby kimpossible » 27 Mar 2021, 21:10

/sub
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby kimpossible » 27 Mar 2021, 21:11

Justinrs2 wrote:Kimpossible for MVP. If possible, she ought to reclaim the Aura of Greater Towniness or whatever it's called, she earned TRs immediately and got Keir dead to rights on D1, an impressive task.

Had Harb in connection with Keir too. Though if I'd been alive I was going to go after Dwiltse before Harb.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 27 Mar 2021, 21:28

I agree with feeling kinda sad this ended so quickly, and feeling bad for the scum team for how difficult this game must have been. I am, however, proud of the town for solving this pretty much through good town play, not relying on angleshooting or roles or gimmicks. Even without the Eschaton event, I doubt this game would have made it all the way to an F3.
kimpossible

Postby Keirador » 27 Mar 2021, 21:54

Thanks UDC, well done town.

Not voting for an MVP because I really never did read any of the pages of the game that killed me.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Keirador » 27 Mar 2021, 21:59

Justinrs2 wrote:I said this in private chat to explain a Harb/Keir team. Is this a fair summation @Harb and @Keir?
justinrs2 wrote:I think Harb/Keir makes the most sense. I can see the narrative; they're starting up as old friends on a scumteam having a good time, these townie idiots come along with their stupid chat that is insane and makes no sense, things look chaotic and they can let things be. And yet they then have to watch as it generates TRs that allow PoE cases to be made on GD D1. They try to slow down this process, but the pace of the thread is faster than they are used to. Kids these days.

Yep, pretty much exactly.

This isn't the first time, as either alignment, that I haven't been able to keep up with the thread recently. This is relatively new, I used to be a player with one of the higher post-counts. I don't know how y'all do it, and I think I'll need to stick to the sidelines for the foreseeable. Fortunately sjg has generously offered to let me try my hand as Assistant (to the) Game Master, so I'll have a reason to stick around.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Blackswimmer » 27 Mar 2021, 22:01

Well, that was a game and a half! Thanks everyone, and props to UDC for a very well run game.

Strongly agree with Kim for MVP, both for being insanely towny, and for nailing the Keir case.

Feel like I owe apologies to both Justin and Greg, although at least I redeemed myself by tennis balling Harb N1. :lol:
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to AARs