Russian Roulette AAR (Mafia + Jester Win)

Moderators: sjg11, Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo, condude1

Russian Roulette AAR (Mafia + Jester Win)

Postby shadowface » 13 Sep 2019, 06:02

Congratulations Aeschines, Fatmo, and Conq on fast and clean victories.

I welcome comments/feedback on the game, I'll provide my own later.

Thanks for playing, everyone! Hope you enjoyed the game :)
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Russian Roulette AAR (Mafia + Jester Win)

Postby Fatmo » 13 Sep 2019, 06:11

Just wanted to mark the thread.

Aes you rock!
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby Fatmo » 13 Sep 2019, 06:15

Also, Dweller, the tone you had at the very end sounded pretty townie.

And, even though you didn’t vote on anyone until the end, your one person you thought was suspicious and voted was one of the right ones!

Shadow, was there straight up no killing bullet today?

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

Fatmo

Postby Fatmo » 13 Sep 2019, 06:17

Lol what a bloodbath. So much slaughter for two days.

Fatmo

Postby dweller » 13 Sep 2019, 06:22

Yes but people did have suspicions on Aeschines as far I know. Based on that knowledge I thought that he is scum. Because I knew that I was town.
dweller

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 898
All-game rating: 887
Timezone: GMT

Postby shadowface » 13 Sep 2019, 06:23

Game design thoughts:

I thought this would be scum sided going in, since it was designed for more townspeople. However, I just made the bullets more town-friendly and I think it counterbalanced it quite well. I don't feel like this was unbalanced: every time someone in the town died, it was pretty much preventable. Telleo would have lived with better communication on how many bullets were in the gun. Nanook would have survived the NK if town hadn't killed the jester. CT was a missed vig shot, UFO was a modkill... I think this was actually quite balanced. When town didn't play well, they lost players.

I also think the scumteam played very well. Especially for two first time scum! Very nice.

Here's the master list of bullets in case you guys are curious. I think it's accurate but I sometimes changed details as I thought things through more so it might not be exactly the text you got. Too bad we didn't get to use Day 3, they were my favorites probably:

1.1: A bullet. You shoot yourself in the head bravely, and out comes a bullet that kills you instantly. Wow. What a surprise.
1.2: Poison. Instead of a bullet, a poison dart comes out of the gun. You are afflicted by a vicious poison. Unless you find some way to counteract the poison, you will die of poison on Night 3.
1.3: An Eraser. Instead of a lethal bullet, you are hit with a little lump of rubber. Upon examination, you realize that this is an eraser. You may legally edit all of your posts for the rest of the game now with this eraser. However, erasers leave those little smudges on the page, you know? So you must include a small tag at end of the post that says this:
(edited with permission from stupidface)

1.4: Green Mushroom. The mushroom fires out of the gun, straight into your mouth. So you have to eat it. When you do, you gain one life. This means that if you are killed for any reason in this game, including a lynch, you will not die. This power works once and cannot be blocked by anything.
1.5: A post-it note. Out of the end of the gun comes this physically improbable, rolled up post it note. Using this, you realize you can pass notes to your fellow players! You get a direct communication ability with whoever was the vote leader at the time of firing the gun, for the rest of the game. This works Day and Night, until one of you dies. If no one was leading in votes or there was a tie, it is random.
1.6: A vote, that hurts when it hits your temple. Not. But you see it is a blank ballot, which means your vote in today's town kill proceedings counts for double! Twice as much pressure, wow!

2.1: A joke.
2.2: Antidote. Instead of a bullet, a little capsule with a cute parachute (like the kind in the hunger games) comes out of the gun. It is labeled: Antidote You may either drink this antidote or send it to a player of your choice. If you send it to a player of your choice, it will arrive at them then next time orders resolve.
2.3: A bullet. A bullet comes flying out of the gun towards your face. Uh oh! You see your life flash before your eyes and begin to wonder what exactly made you want to play Russian Roulette.

But for some reason, the bullet is in fact very slow. It must have misfired. It's traveling like someone tossed you a baseball, so you reach out with your other hand and catch it.

Not only are you still alive, but now you have a bullet, hmm. And you've always been a fan of recycling so you'd hate to see it go to waste. At any point in the next 72 hours, you may shoot it at someone and they will die.
2.4: A gavel. It spins out of the revolver and lands in your hand. The next person who dies from a gun effect on any day, you will be able to decide whether their death will go through or not. This does not apply to lynches or the mafia's factional kill, must be used before the flip, and you will have 36 hours to use the ability. It only applies to the next person who dies, and while you decide the game will continue with that person in an eerie twilight on the verge of death (unable to post or vote) but not quite there (if you decide they don't die, they will resume the game).
2.5: A vision. It rolls straight into your eye, and you can see what the bullets are going to be tomorrow! This is just like the list the mafia will be given at the end of the day.
2.6: An AmazonBasics brand discount fingerprint analysis kit. It would be so useful for knowing who used that bloody knife from yesterday's night kill! Unfortunately, it is AmazonBasics brand, so it can't be trusted all that much. You have a faction cop ability that you can use in the next 72 hours. However, it is only 61.3934% accurate. Make what you will of that.

3.1: A bullet.
3.2: A megaphone. Even after you die you can speak.
3.3: A portal. You disappear from this dimension, and until the start of the next day you are completely out of the game. You cannot post, vote, die or be targeted with anything. You do count towards your team's numbers in terms of parity. You will return at the start of day 4.
3.4: Adrenaline. Your vote is worth however many times you fire the gun in the day for the rest of the game.
3.5: A goose. You can only make quacking noises for the next day. This means, you can only post the word 'quack'. You can quote people but only if the quotes are unedited.
3.6: A flesh meme.
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)

Postby Fatmo » 13 Sep 2019, 06:25

dweller wrote:Yes but people did have suspicions on Aeschines as far I know. Based on that knowledge I thought that he is scum. Because I knew that I was town.

Yea. Him, me, and you were all under some suspicion. But like, you could have suspected Kim or Sjg even though no one else did. You don’t always have to have the same reads as the majority. Sometimes people have a suspect that no one else agrees with you on. But you ended up on one of the right ones.

Fatmo

Postby dweller » 13 Sep 2019, 06:30

Also people's suspicions grew on me because of that gun stuff. That I received only two effects and most importantly I didn't die which most of the people were expecting. So these were enough reasons for people to think that I was lying and that I may be scum.
I think people should have trusted me. The gun doesn't necessarily have to be a bullet which cause death.
dweller

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 898
All-game rating: 887
Timezone: GMT

Postby UFO Fever » 13 Sep 2019, 06:32

dweller wrote:Also people's suspicions grew on me because of that gun stuff. That I received only two effects and most importantly I didn't die which most of the people were expecting. So these were enough reasons for people to think that I was lying and that I may be scum.
I think people should have trusted me. The gun doesn't necessarily have to be a bullet which cause death.

We were suspicious of you because you didn’t play until the final 6 hours of the game.
Silver Classicist.
Acting former bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
Undefeated as scum*.
Dad, if you’re reading this, who the hell taught you how to use the forum?
UFO Fever

Standard rating: (1157)
All-game rating: (1163)

Postby UFO Fever » 13 Sep 2019, 06:33

Fatmo very well done. Aes I’m not sure how you weaseled your way out of that final lynch but well done. Town, I’m sorry.
Silver Classicist.
Acting former bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
Undefeated as scum*.
Dad, if you’re reading this, who the hell taught you how to use the forum?
UFO Fever

Standard rating: (1157)
All-game rating: (1163)

Next

Return to AARs