Pick Your Poison Mafia AAR

Moderators: Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Re: Pick Your Poison Mafia AAR

Postby Blackswimmer » 16 May 2020, 20:53

Nanook wrote:I’d love feedback from anyone with an opinion on the poison options—good, bad, fun, boring, etc. Did you feel like they unbalanced things too much? Or were they a fun addition/twist to a mafia game? Which ones worked, which ones were kinda duds?

Really any opinions on it, this is a general mechanic I’m still refining so feedback is very helpful!

I like the poisons as a mechanic. My feedback would be that the strong options felt kind of detrimental to the town - for a lot of them, either the downside would be too high a price, or the power itself was actually a negative.
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Crunkus » 24 May 2020, 06:01

K, I might be hard headed and constantly scum reading you as town, OR perhaps useful interactions can be achieved other ways and a simple look at d1 would show absent your move we pretty much autolynch Kim day 1.

There are many ways of generating useful interactions. But when town do things only scum should do, it hurts the town. It hurt this town. You acted and justified it several contradicting ways, again contradicted in the AAR. This may have been what flagged you on my radar, or maybe it was more helpful to just wear my misreading you as town as a badge. Every end of game you seem to take away the same reflection when this happens, and the same result ensues. I don't know how any d1 could have been more clear than this one that this is anti-town. Interactions will be generated to without this sort of thing.

In any case, it's all good. Not an issue to deal with again...after all I'm the real problem. Take it easy.
Crunkus

Postby Crunkus » 24 May 2020, 06:05

In retrospect, I'm wrong. Kim outed herself because of you. Fair. So more nuanced than that.

Still, a bit of different interaction, we could have agreed on lynching Kim instead of you. Particularly if you were doing that to out a scum by getting them to cop to it. But that would require acknowledging my point and pivoting. That's a shame. You also cemented the narrative that protected her. Particularly given the way it went down. It was nice playing with you again, sorry I misread you and that we couldn't come to a synthesis. I don't understand how you scum read me back on that one eventually.

Anyway. Thanks to most of you for the beginning of the game, to the rest I'm glad you enjoyed it at least. I want to be clear about thanking K regardless of the lack of agreement on a few things and failing to reach a town productive conclusion to them as was both of our responsibilities. I accept now that it is time to move on and that certain things cannot be helped, however hard one tries. My greatest concern was always impacting the enjoyment of others in a negative way.

Sorry to Kim for having to flip day 1 upon leaving. But that is the rule of the gm. Players do need to leave games. I've handled the situation enough as GM myself not to feel so bad. My reasons were fair enough for me, even if you might not acknowledge them. I accept that. I wish you all well even if I cannot thank you all.

Take care.
Crunkus

Postby AKFD » 24 May 2020, 09:23

I'll return to this in a bit. Nice to see you Crunkus.

I felt bad when I realized I was tunneling Strat for the entirety of D2-D3 and let myself get fooled by Kim. I was right on my hunch that UFO was scum since unlike in Internet Challenge where he was so anti-town, here he was downright scummy and it made me feel suspicious on him.

On Kim's play, I do see why she conceded. Everyone else who is town is going to carry a consequence if you NK him/her.

Blackswimmer- Kim wanted BS to go. NKing him isn't gonma convince Strat that she is town and it will make Lecrae suspicious too.
Strategus- might seem nice at first, but then Lecrae had a solid townread on Strat, so that's not gonna help Kim. It could work because it could implicate that I was scum, but at that point, I was somewhat towncleared.
Me- if Kim NKed me, she would be left with BS and Strat against her, with Lecrae having a solid TR on Strat. And no one of these people were advocating for me to be TKed.
Lecrae- I thought it would be nice because it would put BS and Strat against me and Kim, and since scum decide tied votes, she would win MYLO but then, my scumread at that point was Strat, and Kim's was BS. And since I was most likely gonna miss EOD again, I wouldn't vote in red. Also, I don't think BS or Strat wanted Lecrae to go.

That's just a few of my thoughts.
Silver Classicist! (well, I used to be one)

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD

Standard rating: 820
All-game rating: 755
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby sinnybee » 02 Jun 2020, 21:42

Wow, wasn't the scum team also Kim and UFO earlier this year?
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby kimpossible » 02 Jun 2020, 23:03

sinnybee wrote:Wow, wasn't the scum team also Kim and UFO earlier this year?

My first statement upon enter scum chat was "Oh, you're kidding."
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby AKFD » 04 Jun 2020, 07:57

sinnybee wrote:Wow, wasn't the scum team also Kim and UFO earlier this year?

Best thing was that they were both in Nanook games.

AKFD

Postby Nanook » 04 Jun 2020, 07:58

The actual best part is that I randed both times!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby AKFD » 04 Jun 2020, 08:00

Nanook wrote:The actual best part is that I randed both times!

:shock:

Really!? What are the chances!

AKFD

Postby Nanook » 04 Jun 2020, 08:07

Well they're 100% now... ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin