Infinite Jest Mafia - D1

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Infinite Jest Mafia - D1

Postby Justinrs2 » 27 Mar 2021, 20:45

Strategus wrote:Apologies to SJG :mrgreen:

I also had sjg paranoia lol
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby kimpossible » 27 Mar 2021, 20:46

Well I was ready to come in hot on scumreading Dwiltse. I cannot believe we took out a Keirador/Harb scum team like that.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Strategus » 27 Mar 2021, 20:46

Justinrs2 wrote:
Strategus wrote:Apologies to SJG :mrgreen:

I also had sjg paranoia lol

I used my vig on him :oops:
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1588
All-game rating: 1770
Timezone: GMT

Postby Justinrs2 » 27 Mar 2021, 20:48

I'm posting the nice chat anyways damnit

Dwiltse
02:37 PM ET (US)
justin

Gregor
03:01 PM ET (US)
UDC says to stop posting, I promptly moved over here.

Justin
03:04 PM ET (US)
fuck yeah

Gregor
Hell yeah!

Justin
I didn't know it was legal to catch Keirador D1

Gregor
03:05 PM ET (US)
I feel so much better about this game now.

Justin
03:06 PM ET (US)
Heavy Harb/Keir energy but maybe that's a red herring

I'm not gonna worry about that rn, I'm just happy

Gregor
03:06 PM ET (US)
I agree with you on Harb.

Justin
03:07 PM ET (US)
And I'm JUST SAYING it did end up working out how I hoped- revealing this chat, ability and all, made folks eventually move off of you as they had time to think about it and make the right choice. Not sure we get there without the full reveal

Gregor
03:08 PM ET (US)
lol you son of a bitch, you were gonna vote me! I allow you 0 credit for my defense. :D

Do you know the backstory behind the Eschaton chapter?

Justin
03:09 PM ET (US)
Hey, I didn't though, and I was part of bringing down Keir. I take full credit, and 0% of the blame, according to myself

Gregor
03:10 PM ET (US)
Let's compromise and give you 1% credit and 99% blame :)

Justin
03:11 PM ET (US)
Nah fam I am taking full credit and if we win this D2 I will claim that pretending to be Dwiltse was the decision that won the game

Gregor
03:12 PM ET (US)
[Banter revealing our character names]

Gregor
03:12 PM ET (US)
Anyways, Eschaton is "a fictional geopolitical game played on four contiguous tennis courts".

Are you ready to play a game?

Gregor
03:13 PM ET (US)
Quoting from a brief analysis of it:

"In the game itself, you have to be pretty good at game theory and lobbing tennis balls at a predetermined target. The targets are associated with countries on a world map that extends itself over the area of - if I'm correct - 4 tennis courts put together. The balls are nuclear warheads.

Also, there is a lot of diplomatic backstage deals going on.

Like their own selves, the game - a game that is allegedly for kids - is over-elaborate and full of adult like bullshit, just like its all-time best player and - in the scene - court of appeal: Michael Pemulis. And just like the game of tennis or any other game - just a number of rules and conventions."

Justin
03:13 PM ET (US)
So. Wow.

Justin
03:14 PM ET (US)
Just got the message

Justin
03:14 PM ET (US)
If 4 tennis balls are lobbed at the same player, that player dies

Gregor
03:15 PM ET (US)
Obviously, we're pretty much the only people who can do anything about this. We need to pool our tennis balls and pray someone else lobs one at someone else.

Otherwise, we can almost force no kills by splitting them up.

Justin
So if we all agree to focus on the same person, they are very very likely to bite it.

Justin
Yeah that too

Gregor
03:16 PM ET (US)
It's 6-2 and will likely be 5-2 after the NK. Do we want to force the town into YIKES?

Justin
03:16 PM ET (US)
I can't really see a scenario in which we'd want to No Kill though when we can theoretically get another town controlled kill. I mean this chat is, at worst, 2-1. So I say we vote on who we want, and whoever we decide on, we collectively agree to lob that ball. One other person is all that's needed and they're dead, so this decision carries some weight.

Gregor
03:17 PM ET (US)
wait lol it's 7-1. Let's murderize somebody.

Justin
Dude, it's 7-1 rn. Only two scum in this game.

Gregor
You know how many goddamn problems I have had with keeping the number of scum straight in my head?

Justin
03:18 PM ET (US)
Can you imagine 6-3? Town would only get one MK before it's DFUOC

Gregor
03:19 PM ET (US)
that would work with no night kill tbh

Justin
03:20 PM ET (US)
Given that you are not going to kill yourself, Gregor, I am really only interested in 3 targets: Sjg, Harb, and BS. I think of those remaining in the game, they have the most scum equity. BS I'm not as convinced of his towniness. Sjg I could see being a crazy bussing play on Keir. And Harb has established problems.

Regardless, do you agree to my plan, Dwiltse? We 3 basically decide a night town kill.

Gregor
03:21 PM ET (US)
Who are viable targets?

Gregor
03:22 PM ET (US)
I could get on board with all of those targets, especially Harb.

Justin
03:23 PM ET (US)
Theoretically everyone, but it is safe to assume a few widely TR players are not getting attacked. Although UDC does have the ominous "If a player is targeted by four tennis balls they will die, unless they don’t"

Gregor
03:23 PM ET (US)
btw: hints on what might happen if I use my hallucinogenic:

"Theories vary on what's happened to x, but everyone seems to generally agree that he is feeling the effects of DMZ, the drug that caused a dosed convict to belt out Ethel Merman tunes every time he tried to speak. x too is losing control of what he is saying, but his manifestations are much less melodic."

Gregor
03:24 PM ET (US)
That's just an analysis of the book from the web, but UDC seems to be keeping fairly close to the flavor.

Justin
03:25 PM ET (US)
I think it's best to operate under the assumption it will work though and move from there.

Dwiltse, we didn't listen to you during the TK, but I think your reads had something there. I just thought Keir was the best target at that moment. BS might be a good kill tonight. I will have to decide how it squares with a Keir partner. ISO'ing Keir is valuable for all of us, I think.

Justin
03:25 PM ET (US)
I would love it if you were forced to speak only in showtunes.

Justin
03:26 PM ET (US)
Anyways gtg for now, very happy with getting Keir, I encourage everyone to think about who we should target, cause collectively we practically decide this if we agree to work together.

Gregor
03:27 PM ET (US)
I would lean into that SO HARD.

Let's reconvene tomorrow after ISO'ing Keir.

Dwiltse
03:38 PM ET (US)
i mean plus side with that im 99% sure we are all town

Dwiltse
03:47 PM ET (US)
so frankly if we all stick together even to final 3 if we dont kill the other scum we will be solid and figure that out later

Gregor
03:55 PM ET (US)
Night Kills - I suspect the scum may begin killing within the chat as soon as N1.

Dwiltse
04:03 PM ET (US)
see i dont think so honestly i think kim is the best way to go seeing as how much sus there is around chat members

Dwiltse
04:07 PM ET (US)
also idk bout u guys but i threw my tennis ball at sjg thinking thats a safe no kill zone

Justin
04:50 PM ET (US)
What now- why don't you want to pool our night actions? We should all throw a "tennis ball" at the same person, to try to create a night time DK

Gregor
05:01 PM ET (US)
Dwiltse, are you able to fire your ball at someone else if you choose?

Dwiltse
05:04 PM ET (US)
idk just asked but if so strat or bs?

Dwiltse
05:18 PM ET (US)
yes i can change my tennis ball throw i vote for strat personally

Justin
05:43 PM ET (US)
I'm probably most interested in BS or Harb. I don't agree Strat is scum. I think this is what he looks like as town. BS though you might be right on, he was definitely actively seeking to blow up infosec (like keir) and I don't think earned those TRs he's gotten.

Dwiltse
05:54 PM ET (US)
i could also do bs but idk if hed get a 4th cuz most others townread him...

fyi day 2 ill prob be underfire as a potential kier fire but its w.e. i dont plan on defending only scum hunting frankly if we could all agree in here to vote for 2 hours before eod thatd be great

Justin
06:20 PM ET (US)
I don't know if Strat would have anyone on him, either. But I think there's a decent chance someone outside this groups votes BS. We don't need one.

The safe choice would be to kill Harb. Harb could get 2 or 3 votes without us even voting him, so if we all vote Harb he's sure to go down. Do we want Harb dead? Kim was suggesting he made a lot of sense as Keir's scumchum.

Justin
06:20 PM ET (US)
*rather, we only need one other person plus this group to make the town NK happen

Dwiltse
07:35 PM ET (US)
personally i dont wanna kill harb just cuz hes harb i missed playing with him XD

Dwiltse
07:36 PM ET (US)
but w.e. 2 people decide on should be the thing

i vote strat or bs

Justin
07:49 PM ET (US)
What is it about strat that screams sxum to you?

I am trying to understand why you want him dead so badly, he is a TR if anything for me.

Dwiltse
08:38 AM ET (US)
its definitly a gut thing on strat more then anything plus the fact i wanna townread him which everytime i have he has been scum lol

Justin
11:15 AM ET (US)
Have you looked at how Strat looks one team with Keir? Havent had time to explore that connection

Justin
11:58 AM ET (US)
One thing that strikes me on my ISO read of Keir is that he spends the first half of chatgate downplaying it, as he knows it's not a good line of thought. I'm getting crucified and he's in the back being the reasonable one. Then, when I start explaining things and people start coming around, he switches to trying to find dirt on me, as what would've been an easy, no effort MK turns into potential ability to get TRs.

I was getting this sense on D1 but it was hard to articulate. I will say Harb seemed to follow a VERY similar strategy, which makes me inclined towards a Harb kill.

Justin
12:09 PM ET (US)
I'm actually also backing down somewhat from viewing you as scum, Gregor, because Keir does a lot of laying the seeds for Gregor to be scum without actually taking credit for the wagon, seemingly.

Justin
12:10 PM ET (US)
So if it was bussing, that wouldn't really give him credit in a meaningful way. Seems unlikely.

Justin
12:22 PM ET (US)
Actually, I take that back. In the last part of his ISO he gets way more aggressively anti-Gregor. I suspect if he hadn't gone anti-spew he would've pushed it more, but saw the writing on the wall and decided to shut up.

Bussing here is definitely possible. So I'm not placing a TR on Gregor immediately. I'm back to the same place I was on Gregor before I began reading the ISO- Gregor is somewhere in my possible scum list, but probably not #1, and I want to give him more chances to defend himself and see what happens D2.

Dwiltse
12:26 PM ET (US)
Like I said we three can go to final 3 and figure it out there if worse comes to worse

Justin
12:32 PM ET (US)
There is a case to be made that the reason it fell apart for scum and Keir got TKed is because chatgate threw scum horribly off balance. Which would suggest we're all town.

I think Harb/Keir makes the most sense. I can see the narrative; they're starting up as old friends on a scumteam having a good time, these townie idiots come along with their stupid chat that is insane and makes no sense, things look chaotic and they can let things be. And yet they then have to watch as it generates TRs that allow PoE cases to be made on GD D1. They try to slow down this process, but the pace of the thread is faster than they are used to. Kids these days.

Justin
12:37 PM ET (US)
Keirador does interact with Harb D1; but pretty much because he's forced to. People keep asking him to read Harb cause he knows him, and he can't just ignore that. And his read is just leans town/null in a way that is easy to fake and be noncommittal.

Yep. Harb makes sense.

Justin
12:39 PM ET (US)
It would also make the CoT I am starting to develop (which I won't share but may be guessable) 100% right, which makes me feel good about myself. If Harb is town, I probably have to reassess that CoT, which I should get started on sooner rather than later. So the Harb NK makes sense for that, too.

Gregor
12:42 PM ET (US)
You know I'm OK with a Harb shot here.

Justin
12:45 PM ET (US)
Sorry for just vomiting my thoughts onto the page lol

I do feel ok about just TRing this chat and betting the game on it (like 70% ok, most of the 30% being Gregor), but I don't think we have to go as far as to do that. Some games should be solved by just getting all townreads left, some you can solve by catching scum. I think we can catch the second scum. I'm confident it's either Harb, or if it's not Harb we can use the 3 flips we have between Harb, Keir, and probably Kim to catch scum #2 with the D2 TK.

Dwiltse
12:54 PM ET (US)
so harbs the tennis ball throw?

Gregor
12:58 PM ET (US)
Justin, are you OK with that?

Justin
01:09 PM ET (US)
That would be my determination. I think he's also likely to get 2-3 shots from others, so this way it's going to be less chaotic and just all on Harb with no surprises

Gregor
03:08 PM ET (US)
OK, cool. I'm going to be absent for the first day of Day 2 - UFC 260 is on and my folks want me to come up to their place to watch it, so that's going to effectively hamstring my ability to be in thread.

I sent in my order to launch at Harb.

Dwiltse
04:29 PM ET (US)
Ill also be promarily absent cuz my fiance wants me and her kids to go places so ya lol wont be on tell late in the evening
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 27 Mar 2021, 20:51

i was about to come out to propose the chat 3 go down to final 3 cuz regardless there would only be 1 scum in chat l;oilo
I'm me I'm odd learn to deal with it... all geniuses' are crazy...
Timeclock of Confusion :?:,
Dwiltse1114

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1048)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Game Threads