Infinite Jest Mafia - D1

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Infinite Jest Mafia - D1

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 17 Mar 2021, 01:32

Infinite Jest Mafia

Be a Student of the Game. Like most clichés of sport, this is profound. You can be shaped, or you can be broken. There is not much in between. Try to learn. Be coachable. Try to learn from everybody, especially those who fail. This is hard. Peers who fizzle or blow up or fall down, run away, disappear from the monthly rankings, drop off the circuit. E.T.A. peers waiting for deLint to knock quietly at their door and ask to chat. Opponents. It’s all educational. How promising you are as a Student of the Game is a function of what you can pay attention to without running away. Nets and fences can be mirrors. And between the nets and fences, opponents are also mirrors. This is why the whole thing is scary. This is why all opponents are scary and weaker opponents are especially scary.

See yourself in your opponents. They will bring you to understand the Game. To accept the fact that the Game is about managed fear. That its object is to send from yourself what you hope will not return.

This is your body. They want you to know. You will have it with you always.

On this issue there is no counsel; you must make your best guess. For myself, I do not expect ever really to know.

But in the interval, if it is an interval: here is Motrin for your joints, Noxzema for your burn, Lemon Pledge if you prefer nausea to burn, Contracol for your back, benzoin for your hands, Epsom salts and anti-inflammatories for your ankle, and extracurriculars for your folks, who just wanted to make sure you didn’t miss anything they got.

RULES:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ub5 ... sp=sharing

SCUMBUDDY (Thank you so much Firestorm!):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1857459380

Roster (with ISOs):

Night Zero has begun. Day One will begin on Monday, March 22nd, 12pm PST. Please do not post in thread.

Threadmarks:
UpsideDownChuck

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Infinite Jest Mafia - D1

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 22 Mar 2021, 21:02

D1 has begun. You may begin posting

D1 will end Thursday 3/25 at 12pm PST

For Orin Incandenza, #71, morning is the soul’s night. The day’s worst time, psychically. He cranks the condo’s AC way down at night and still most mornings wakes up soaked, fetally curled, entombed in that kind of psychic darkness where you’re dreading whatever you think of.

Hal Incandenza’s brother Orin wakes up alone at 0730h. amid a damp scent of Ambush and on the other side’s dented pillow a note with phone # and vital data in a loopy schoolgirlish hand. There’s also Ambush on the note. His side of the bed is soaked.

Orin makes honey-toast, standing barefoot at the kitchen counter, wearing briefs and an old Academy sweatshirt with the arms cut off, squeezing honey from the head of a plastic bear. The floor’s so cold it hurts his feet, but the double-pane window over the sink is hot to the touch: the beastly metro Phoenix October A.M. heat just outside.

Home with the team, no matter how high the AC or how thin the sheet, Orin wakes with his own impression sweated darkly into the bed beneath him, slowly drying all day to a white salty outline just slightly off from the week’s other faint dried outlines, so his fetal-shaped fossilized image is fanned out across his side of the bed like a deck of cards, just overlapping, like an acid trail or timed exposure.

The heat just past the glass doors tightens his scalp. He takes breakfast out to a white iron table by the condo complex’s central pool and tries to eat it there, in the heat, the coffee not steaming or cooling. He sits there in dumb animal pain. He has a mustache of sweat. A bright beach ball floats and bumps against one side of the pool. The sun like a sneaky keyhole view of hell. No one else out here. The complex is a ring with the pool and deck and Jacuzzi in the center. Heat shimmers off the deck like fumes from fuel. There’s that mirage thing where the extreme heat makes the dry deck look wet with fuel. Orin can hear cartridge-viewers going from behind closed windows, that aerobics show every morning, and also someone playing an organ, and the older woman who won’t ever smile back at him in the apartment next to his doing operatic scales, muffled by drapes and sun-curtains and double panes. The Jacuzzi chugs and foams.
UpsideDownChuck

Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)

Re: Infinite Jest Mafia

Postby Justinrs2 » 22 Mar 2021, 21:04

Two things:

1) Nice to meet you Harb, look forward to playing with you

2) No reveals as a general rule. Nobody knows much about the hidden mechanics in here, or if they even exist, and I'd like to keep scum in the dark for as long as possible. If you have a rule you feel must be shared, well, use your best judgement, but err on the side of not revealing. The more I play, the more I start to value infosec.
Holder of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1321
All-game rating: 1195

Postby kimpossible » 22 Mar 2021, 21:08

Much as I agree with infosec, I have reason to ask: is anyone a Miller? Speak now.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Strategus » 22 Mar 2021, 21:09

kimpossible wrote:Much as I agree with infosec, I have reason to ask: is anyone a Miller? Speak now.

What's a miller again?
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1580
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT

Postby Blackswimmer » 22 Mar 2021, 21:10

kimpossible wrote:Much as I agree with infosec, I have reason to ask: is anyone a Miller? Speak now.

Dammit Kim, you beat me to it. Kim is almost certainly town.
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Blackswimmer » 22 Mar 2021, 21:10

Also, I am not a miller.
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Justinrs2 » 22 Mar 2021, 21:11

Strategus wrote:

What's a miller again?

When you show up as scum on a cop check even though you're town

"To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty"- Napoleon Bonaparte

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Postby Justinrs2 » 22 Mar 2021, 21:13

I'm not a Miller, for what it's worth. Not sure why asking about is worth a TR, that's just common sense as either alignment.

The world when I was 20
Justinrs2

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 22 Mar 2021, 21:15

Prep stage 1 gonna pop right in here real quick before I gotta take care of a kid and im somewhat focused that said starting off if feel like character names should not be stated flat out I think its a bad idea all the way around...

That said my character and their role play is mimicry of the character ergo what they do/say/act fits with the role play that fits in the actual game...

Moving forward it was also indicated that there maybe separate chats to include town members in a chat group of their own so something to keep an eye out for as well as if we can use this to our advantage...

Now as for the rules themselves theres no much to mechanically dissolve... That said there are some seperatr tips and hints in the rules which then way they are im sure udc did on purpose

example
The mafia will have a means of killing at night.

Coupled with
Is the night kill assigned to a particular mafia, or done ‘factionally’? Is it trackable/watchable/blockable?

Make me think that already some of these roles are in game and should only be displayed if mafia is thought to be caught...

Coupled with the additional questions udc wont answer
a. Are powers tied to character flavour, are alignments tied to character flavour?
B. If yes, do the mafia have cover roles? Do those cover roles have functional powers separate from their mafia powers?
C. What order do night actions resolve in?
D. Was I roleblocked last night?

All of these probable don't indicate sonething but if they did it would mean scum do have cover roles probably have multiple abilities to choose from and characters are tied to flavor and some (not all because of mafia cover roles) might be indicative of alignment BUT AGAIN IM AGAINST REVEALING NAMES AT THIS TIME...

Not sure what to make of for role order resolving as these can be anything... However the mention of a rollblocker in 2 seperate question makes me believe 100% that there is a roleblocker hopefully of town alignment somewhere...

But thats all tea leaf readie and im sure most of u people will ignore this 100% however consider it greatly since it looks obviously intentional...

Also no point in worrying about the night 1 "Eschaton" talking about it or worrying about it is pointless as we wont know what it is or whats going on tell we are at night time...

Finally justin cuz he r grate skum :lol:
I'm me I'm odd learn to deal with it... all geniuses' are crazy...
Timeclock of Confusion :?:,
Dwiltse1114

Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1048)

Next

Return to Game Threads