Internet Challenge Mafia (Town Win)

Moderators: condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo

Internet Challenge Mafia (Town Win)

Postby kimpossible » 06 Apr 2020, 00:02

Blame Fatmo for this one.

In this game, you will face internet challenges. Like the Cinnamon Challenge. The Rotating Corn Challenge. The Ice Bucket Challenge. You get the idea.

THESE ARE PRETEND CHALLENGES ONLY. Nobody has to do anything IRL except post in the thread and interact with the GM.

There will be one challenge per real-life day, meaning three challenges per game day. You can participate or not, but here's the thing: you start the day with no votes, and one of the challenges will earn you a vote. You won't know which one until all three are over. Of course, you're free to cast your votes throughout the day, but you'll find out after the third challenge and before end of day whether you have a vote.

At least one different player must participate in each of the three challenges each day. Additionally, scum will know in advance what the challenges are, and which one will earn a vote for participation.

But guess what else? Scum have to participate in a challenge to get a night kill! But they only have to do one, and only one of them has to participate. The night kill may also be holstered.

And finally, each challenge comes with... side effects. Good ones? Bad ones? Silly ones? Maybe all three! You won't know until you try.

Votes will be cast the usual way in huge red text, but the totals will not be public at the end of the day, only the list of where each person attempted to vote. You'll be informed privately if your vote counted, and the totals will be posted at the start of the next game day. The flip will be revealed at day end.

How to enter each challenge will be specified when I post the challenge. In general, you will have to submit something to me via PM within a set time period.

All other reasonably standard Mafia rules apply. Ties will be broken via methods known to the GM.

Game Map
Start of D1
Start of D2 -- AKFD was townkilled, Shadowface died in the night
Start of D3 -- Aeschines was townkilled, Strategus died in the night

Main Roster:
Dead:
AKFD: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=akfd
Shadowface: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=shadowface
Aeschines: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=aeschines
Strategus: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=strategus

Alive:
Fatmo: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=fatmo
Nanooktheeskimo: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=nanooktheeskimo
UFO Fever: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=ufo%20fever
Master Radishes: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=master%20radishes
Condude: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=condude1

Reserves:
Sinnybee: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=sinnybee
Lecrae: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=lecrae

GM Posts: search.php?f=306&t=60635&author=kimpossible
Last edited by kimpossible on 15 Apr 2020, 05:37, edited 10 times in total.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Internet Challenge Mafia (Day 1)

Postby kimpossible » 06 Apr 2020, 00:16

Welcome to Day 1! And we'll get started right away with our first challenge...

The Chubby Bunnies Challenge

The Challenge: Using regular marshmallows, stuff them into your mouth one at a time and say "Chubby bunnies" after each one. Keep going until you either can't say it anymore, or spit them all out.

(Why you shouldn't do this: people have actually choked and died, and not just kids. The challenge sometimes calls for participants to swallow all the marshmallows at the end of the challenge, which is how one 32-year-old woman ended up choking to death.)

How to participate: As you can see, I only managed five regular marshmallows, and gave up on the sixth. But mini marshmallows are much much easier! PM me your guess for how many mini marshmallows I managed to mash into my mouth! Guesses must be submitted by noon Eastern tomorrow, 4/7.

Day 1 has begun, and will end at or near 6 pm Eastern on Thursday, 4/9. My usual overtime rules apply: play continues until I officially close the thread.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby condude1 » 07 Apr 2020, 01:39

Alright!

So, I'm doing every challenge I can. It sounds like fun, and I see no downside. I will, however, wait to submit a guess until tonight, considering that someone may come in with a stroke of genius that sways me.

Is there any reason we'd expect tracking to work here? If the mafia can just lie, making a plan doesn't really help anyone, right?
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby condude1 » 07 Apr 2020, 01:52

Alright guys, if we keep up like this, town will win for sure! I will control the only vote if no one else posts, and thus will be able to execute practically everyone else, securing victory for the town! :D
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Postby Aeschines » 07 Apr 2020, 01:55

I'm psyched! My plan is also to do as many challenges as I can. I'm excited to see what the status effects are!

Anyone have any big thoughts about how to get the baddies? I'm going to go & play some Outer Worlds, but I'll be on periodically tonight & most of the day tomorrow. (Huzzah, quarantine!)
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Standard rating: (1487)
All-game rating: (1639)

Postby Nanook » 07 Apr 2020, 02:02

Doesn’t look like there’s a way to track who does each challenge, at least not the first one, so I’m going to guess that either this one isn’t the one that matters or there won’t be a way to track most if not all of the challenges.

So yeah see no downside to everyone doing this one, since presumably scum can just lie and do it anyways.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby UFO Fever » 07 Apr 2020, 02:30

I also plan on doing this one as I plan on doing all of them unless something comes up to explain why that’s a bad idea.
Silver Classicist.
Acting former bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
Undefeated as scum*.
Dad, if you’re reading this, who the hell taught you how to use the forum?
UFO Fever

Standard rating: (1157)
All-game rating: (1163)

Postby Fatmo » 07 Apr 2020, 02:45

condude1 wrote:Alright!

So, I'm doing every challenge I can. It sounds like fun, and I see no downside. I will, however, wait to submit a guess until tonight, considering that someone may come in with a stroke of genius that sways me.

Is there any reason we'd expect tracking to work here? If the mafia can just lie, making a plan doesn't really help anyone, right?

This was pretty much my thinking before the game started.

Got to ask people more familiar with Condude if this seems normal town Condude. I ask specifically because from the very little I've seen of him (and I really count last game for less because I was scum there so didn't really have to solve him), he strikes me as someone who is more likely than someone like me to be bold and somewhat controversial or something to open things up. If that makes any sense. Like the way he went after Don for just seeming to be too wishy washy or fluffy to start that last game. Maybe he does that because in his mind it's more townie and he's more likely as town to really go out on a limb. And the way he was very argumentative about some mechanics stuff in that game.

But anyway, his thoughts here were pretty much the way I was thinking of approaching the challenges in general. Like even down to asking if anyone else had any problems with it that he hadn't considered before. If I'd made it to thread before Condude I'd have said the same thing more or less.

Were you assuming that some kind of tracking thing would work? How did you think that might be a thing here? There wasn't really anything that made me think that in the rules. But I know you tend to see things mechanically in ways I usually don't immediately.

Aeschines wrote:I'm psyched! My plan is also to do as many challenges as I can. I'm excited to see what the status effects are!

Lol oh man now I have to actually try to read Aes again.

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Doesn’t look like there’s a way to track who does each challenge, at least not the first one, so I’m going to guess that either this one isn’t the one that matters or there won’t be a way to track most if not all of the challenges.

So yeah see no downside to everyone doing this one, since presumably scum can just lie and do it anyways.

Did you have thoughts that there would be a way to track who does each challenge? Or was this mainly a response to Condude?

One thought I did have when seeing this specific Chubby Bunny challenge. We have to guess how many of the smaller ones she was able to do this with. So can we assume that whoever gets closer gets some kind of specific benefit? Like maybe a vig shot or cop check or something?
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby Nanook » 07 Apr 2020, 02:53

Yeah, before the game started I had thought there’d be a way to track who did what challenge.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Fatmo » 07 Apr 2020, 02:55

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Yeah, before the game started I had thought there’d be a way to track who did what challenge.

Anything from the rules make you think that or just basically an educated/experience guess?
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Next

Return to Game Threads