Plague Mafia II - Covid 19 Edition (Game Over)

Moderators: condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo

Plague Mafia II - Covid 19 Edition (Game Over)

Postby shadowface » 23 Mar 2020, 07:30

One of you... ONE OF YOU is going to get an absolute craving to eat bat soup tonight.

Then the forum will become engulfed in a pandemic and all hell will break loose.

Welcome to Plague Mafia II - COVID-19 Edition
AKA something to do while we're all chillin' in real life quarantine.

Game Rules are here, please read them to avoid doing something stupid:
There will be 10 players: 8 Humans and 2 Tasty Looking Bats.
The Humans are victorious if the Tasty Looking Bats are completely eliminated.The Tasty Looking Bats are victorious when they have numbers equal to or greater than that of the Humans .

The Tasty Looking Bats begin with knowledge of each other's identity and the ability to privately communicate. Rather than a traditional nightkill, they infect someone with a virulent plague each night (including Night 0).

The plague has 3 possible stages: Dormancy, Symptomatic, and Fatal.
  • Dormancy: the player has and carries the plague but they are unaware and do not notice any effects.
  • Symptomatic: the thread will be informed at the end of the night phase that the player is exhibiting the symptoms of the plague.
  • Fatal: the player dies at the end of the night phase from the plague.

Players go through these stages at a different rate. There are 5 generations of players, each with varying degrees of susceptibility to the virus.

• War babies: Immediately fatal the night of infection.
  • Boomers: Symptomatic the first night of infection, immediately fatal the second night of infection.
  • Gen X: Dormant the first night of infection, symptomatic the second night of infection, fatal the third night of infection.
  • Millenials: Dormant the first two nights of infection, symptomatic the third night of infection, fatal the fourth night of infection
  • Gen Z: Dormant the first three nights of infection, symptomatic the fourth night of infection, fatal the fifth night of infection

These generations are randomly assigned and it is not public information how many people are a part of each generation. A player does personally know what generation they are a part of, though.

Every night (except Night 0), every remaining player, regardless of alignment, must visit one other player. If either player has the plague in any of its stages at the start of the night, the other one becomes infected. You may not visit the same player two nights in a row.

Both Humans and Tasty Looking Bats can become infected by the virus. Obviously. That's kind of the point of a coronavirus apparently.

Other game rules include:
- Days will be 72 hours and nights will be 48 hours, unless everyone wants a 24 hour night in which case I will shorten it.
- Every day will have one normal lynch where everyone votes using huge or large red letters. The lynch resolves at the deadline and the player with the most votes is lynched.
- Players may vote for an early End Day by casting an 'End Day' vote in big and blue. Once a majority of End Day votes has been reached, the day ends immediately, and will be processed whenever the GM gets to the thread.
- Players may vote to No Lynch by voting 'No Lynch'. No Lynch votes are counted like player votes.
- Ties will be resolved with a cointoss.
- If you want to do a weird mechanical strategy, feel free to run it by the GM first to see how it would resolve. Especially if it involves something that was ambiguous or not specified in the rules.
-Unless otherwise specified in this post, the standard rules here all apply and are part of the ruleset. Breaking the rules can result in modkill, replacement, or something else at the GM's discretion to restore balance to the universe.

Player list with ISOs (post summaries) hyperlinked here:
1. Fatmo
2. condude1
3. UFO Fever
4. sinnybee
5. lecrae
6. nanook
7. AKFD
8. kimpossible
9. Strategus
10. Don Juan of Austria

Reserves:
1. Justy
2. sjg11
Last edited by shadowface on 02 Apr 2020, 21:02, edited 15 times in total.
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1

The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Plague Mafia II - Covid 19 Edition (Night 0)

Postby shadowface » 23 Mar 2020, 07:31

Please do not post at this time!

The game will begin on March 24th at 1200 PDT.

shadowface

Re: Plague Mafia II - Covid 19 Edition (Day 1)

Postby shadowface » 24 Mar 2020, 21:00

DO NOT EAT

screamed the obnoxious sign beside a fine bowl of bat soup that was sitting in the thread for some reason.

BAT SOUPS, BAT SPAGHETTI, BAT LASAGNA, BAT SANDWICHES CAN ALL BE VECTORS FOR THE TRANSMISSION OF CORONAVIRUS

A PSA FROM YOUR FRIENDLY GM STUPIDFACE

----

Yet in the morning...

The bowl of soup is empty :shock:

The humans (and bats pretending to be humans) all adopt a look of shock, fear, and disgust. Who would care so little about public health as to eat a bowl of bat soup at this time?

While everyone is acting shocked and appalled, though, you hear a loud cough. You turn to see Strategus coughing and sneezing, somehow simultaneously. Yikes.

"Er, sorry guys," said Strategus guiltily, "it just looked so tasty."

----

Day 1 has begun. It will end on March 27th at 1200 PDT.

To vote, please just vote in huge red letters, I will manually tabulate and try to post vote updates.

Happy bat hunting :)

shadowface

Postby condude1 » 24 Mar 2020, 21:01

DO NOT REVEAL. I understand how tempting it is to make a joke based on seemingly harmless information. Don't. I'll expand in a minute.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby condude1 » 24 Mar 2020, 21:06

Sorry, just wanted to get that out of the way.

Strategus must be a Boomer who got infected last night, right? That's excellent news. It means that COVID will take an extra day to get going in earnest.

Here's why revealing our generation is a horrible idea:

If the mafia know what generation we are, they target accordingly. Probably the first one hits a Gen Xer or Millenial for the asymptomatic transmission, then they start murdering Boomers and War Babies. Meaning we get a just worse version of typical vanilla.

If they don't know who's who, they might take a few days to get off the ground. If they, say, hit a war baby tonight, we're in great stead.

Strategus is cleared town. Also he'll be dead tomorrow. Ah well, easy come, easy go.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

condude1

Postby Fatmo » 24 Mar 2020, 21:07

Ok, first things first.

I've discovered something about my reads on UFO Fever, which makes it make sense for this to be my first early vote, which I usually don't like making.

Basically, after that last game, now that I've seen him in two scum games finally on a forum (one was a game Kim and I played with him on another site), I know I'm going to have a hard time ever actually actively scumreading him. At least not a soul scumread or anything like that.

However I incredibly often tend to get correct soul town reads on him. Very often during D1. I've never been wrong when I get that soul read as far as I recall.

But when I don't get it, he's been scum somewhere around half or two thirds of the time. Something along those lines. So that's the basis I'm going to have to use from now on to try to actually be able to figure out a system for scumreading him. Lack of soul townread makes him more than rand scum in my mind. Pardon the Eli wizard medium magic language :D

The reason I'm putting this this vote down now is that, like every time he's in danger of being lynched, it's usually an early day. Often D1. And then when I see the wagon build on him, I think I instinctively just kind of see a wagon building on him for stuff he kinda does every game, and knee jerk don't like it and speak out against it in some fashion. In that last game, I wasn't particularly townreading him. But I jumped in to defend him anyway because I thought the wagon was dumb. So I'm going to try to nip that in the bud and just vote him now and see how I feel as the day goes on. Of course I'll move if I get a strong townread on him or scumread someone else or need to save someone or whatever. But I'm gonna start here. Switch things up and try something new.

Ok, mechanics stuff. What do people think?

Sinny, we have even numbers. I know you usually like to bring up the idea of no-lynches with even numbers like this. But here, we have the extra hiccup/unknown about infected people running around touching everyone. Your thoughts there?

Lec, I'm sorry we weren't able to quite get to the right place with each other in the last game. But every game is new so let's just try to learn how to read each other as we play more games. No hard feelings or anything like that. Unless you're scum now. In which case please kindly get sick and die lol.

Strat, was nice running into you again after so many years. I was also happy that I townread you before you were outed as Roberta. Hope to be able to correctly do so again lol.

Condude, have we ever played? I know you replaced me in that one scum game with Kim, and then you GMd me. If not, well hello there lol.

Nook, do you like cupcakes or muffins better?

AKFD, I think we maybe played in one or two games a while ago? Hello again.

Kim, you dirty scum lol.

Don Juan, I thought for some reason we'd played a dip game at some point, but apparently we never did. So hello there.

I assume we don't want people revealing what gens they are, yea? Gives scum a roadmap to who they can target both if they want to target someone young and strong who could infect a bunch of others, or older people they consider more of a threat they can kill more quickly. That's my first instinct there.

Unless someone has thought of some kind of system/formula that can give us a better chance of avoiding spread that involves revealing? This would have to be discussed a lot first though.

Anyone got any ideas or thoughts about ways to approach things?

Sorry about the last game and not being readable enough as town to help others solve the game. Haven't played much for months (and both times I did, was for less than two game days each), so kinda rusty, and also trying to play a little differently to how I used to play. I'll try to be better here, but still experimenting and wanting to tinker and tweak a bit.

PPE: wrote this a few hours ago. So Strat was infected.

First instinct is that, even though he's lock town, maybe we should consider killing him? Because people have to visit each other every night and the plague will spread?

Other ideas?

Also agree with you Condude about not revealing.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby condude1 » 24 Mar 2020, 21:09

Immediate suspicion of Sinny, since I think they mentioned they don't get along well with Strategus. Minor tell though, it obviously could be a framejob.

Other notes:

Pairing off doesn't work as a plan. We have 9 tonight. Triples is mediocre at best, it hardly limits the spread and fails after one night.

condude1

Postby condude1 » 24 Mar 2020, 21:12

Hey Fatmo! What you're saying Re: UFO makes sense. I'll be watching to see how that read evolves over the day.

I have my opinions on NL, but I won't intercept the question posed to Sinny.

condude1

Postby Fatmo » 24 Mar 2020, 21:17

condude1 wrote:Hey Fatmo! What you're saying Re: UFO makes sense. I'll be watching to see how that read evolves over the day.

I have my opinions on NL, but I won't intercept the question posed to Sinny.

Cool.

And yea, especially with what you just pointed out about that little thing with Sinny/Strat, I especially appreciate you letting her answer that question. I'd love to hear your thoughts whenever you decide it's best to talk about, which I guess will be after an opinion from Sinny.

Ok I''ve just recently set up a playstation in my room, so I might actually start playing a game for the first time in a while. Yay quarantine I guess lol.

Also still have to do at least some work. So inconvenient haha.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby condude1 » 24 Mar 2020, 21:18

Fatmo wrote:Anyone got any ideas or thoughts about ways to approach things?

Alright, so I was the GM of the original version of this. You can't stop the spread. Everyone was infected by D4 or so last time. Our goal is to slow it down for as long as possible. Disease tracking is good. For example, voting for a Strategoose crossvisit with someone else tonight makes entire sense. It's a day by day thing.

The issue is that once a Gen Xer etc. is hit, we instantly lose containment, because we have no idea who it is. There's definitely an argument to be made for no containment and hoping the Bats die before we do.

Actually, that's a really interesting idea. We get decent data from infections that way.

Proposal: Today, vote for someone for Strategus to infect. Once we lose containment, everyone just does their own thing independently. Weaponize this disease against the Bats!

condude1

Next

Return to Game Threads