A Very SPECIAL Game Thread of Mafia

Moderators: Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Re: A Very SPECIAL Game Thread of Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 03 Jul 2019, 19:15

Also, GODDAMMIT, I hate to use this after the quandary this very thing put me in as a GM, but now I'm on the player side, so while I'm going to hold back on saying exactly why because it's an angleshoot, I can't unknow this, so I'll just say that I think sjg townslipped big time in that post.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Nanook » 03 Jul 2019, 19:32

Yeah that’s not outside scumSJG’s range to fake/he could have just as easily been mistaken about when things start as scum. Sorry, think it’s NAI if we’re looking at the same thing.

I think full reveal is bad but I won’t hold out if that’s the way we go. Really like Aes’ response, that’s exactly the remander I was hoping for. Kim gets bonus points for her defense of him too.

Disagree with a lot of conq’s “what would town vs. scum go after” analysis but will hold off on expanding on that until we decide if we’re revealing or not.

Sjg, I’m probably not going to be super high impact this game. I was going to reserve until ufo needed me to step in to start the game. It’s just how it’s going to be this game, if that’s going to be something you can’t get past you should probably kill me now. Obviously gonna do my best, but I wouldn’t expect high impact make things happen Nanook this game, I don’t have the time or energy or computer access for that. So I’ll be a bit more low key and reading big picture.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby kimpossible » 03 Jul 2019, 19:39

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Yeah that’s not outside scumSJG’s range to fake/he could have just as easily been mistaken about when things start as scum. Sorry, think it’s NAI if we’re looking at the same thing.

Thinking more about it... I don't know if we're looking at quite the same thing, but I can see where it applies equally, so... dang. Not the reverse-of-smoking gun (water gun?) I thought it was.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Conq » 03 Jul 2019, 19:40

nanooktheeskimo wrote:I think full reveal is bad.

Why?

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Disagree with a lot of conq’s “what would town vs. scum go after” analysis but will hold off on expanding on that until we decide if we’re revealing or not.

I’d like to know how you disagree with me whether we decide to reveal or not.
Conq

Standard rating: 2410
All-game rating: 2528
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Conq » 03 Jul 2019, 19:42

kimpossible wrote:
Conq wrote:Honestly, I don't think these powers are all that important to keep secret. I am leaning towards full reveals. I think I'd rather have (1) a better read on people by discussing their power choices, and (2) a way to make liars accountable, which we have.

Elaborate. How do you prove someone is lying?

Perception.
Conq

Standard rating: 2410
All-game rating: 2528
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Nanook » 03 Jul 2019, 19:43

Conq wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:I think full reveal is bad.

Why?

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Disagree with a lot of conq’s “what would town vs. scum go after” analysis but will hold off on expanding on that until we decide if we’re revealing or not.

I’d like to know how you disagree with me whether we decide to reveal or not.

Giving scum complete info is bad.

I’m pretty firmly in camp “don’t talk about it unless we reveal,” cause with enough people talking about it scum can narrow down options. I can tell you at least two people that almost definitely didn’t pick agility already and I’m not even looking for it. So yeah, if we reveal then we’ll talk about it, if we don’t then we can discuss after the game.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby sjg11 » 03 Jul 2019, 19:43

Conq wrote:Hmmmmm...The ol’ “I missed the deadline to pick my powers so they were randomly assigned” trick.

So, my immediate thought is that Sjg should reveal his powers now. I can explain more after he does that, but I think it’s important.

Yep, I think this is sensible, didn't do it initially as I wanted to get SOME discussion to it and reactions going first so we were at least discussing game-relevant stuff in a more serious way.

Luck's my major power and Endurance is my minor power.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Nanook » 03 Jul 2019, 19:48

Who wants to bite on a spicy two out of Durga/Aes/fatmo take?
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby sjg11 » 03 Jul 2019, 19:49

Conq wrote:
sjg11 wrote:
Durga for the moment with the normal early game vote disclaimer. Very small read at this point but enough for an early game vote.

I actually found that slightly townie...

It was quite conspicuous. It just seemed like the kind of thing scum wouldn’t do.

I mean...why would Scum!Durga do that? Do you think she’s afraid to post?

*Sighs*

Sometimes in the early game Conq it's good to put an early vote down on someone with a justifiable reason to create some pressure and cause come chaos. This gets town discussing more interesting things. Then of course some imbecilic gumball leaps all over it before useful reactions can occur. Or at least to the point where it might become a bit too distracting to push it further.

Anyway, agreed in reality. Revealing you're around for the start of the game and then not posting is something I relate to a IDGAF attitude which I generally think is a townie characteristic. Not exclusively but generally.

Anyway, that vote was designed to see if I could get a reaction from a player who can sometimes slink into the background a bit. I'll move it once I have somewhere useful to move it to.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 03 Jul 2019, 19:50

Conq wrote:
sjg11 wrote:Nook's also been floating around without making any massively useful contributions.

Well, I disagree with this too, Sjg. I mean, Nook has been floating around in the sense that he has posted. And, he has not made any “massively useful contributions” in the sense that basically nothing has happened yet and nobody has made useful contributions. But I’m surprised you are shading Nook this way on page 2. Are you saying there is something AI about Nook’s contribution level so far? Can you flesh that out more?

Again, early game prodding. If nook is gonna be a bit slanky in a game I like to know that in advance so I can adjust my expectations accordingly. If nook is not gonna do that then he'll step up if he's town. Either occurring is a town positive result as nook either becomes a more useful player or commits to this being a lurkier game.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

PreviousNext