A Very SPECIAL Game Thread of Mafia

Moderators: Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Re: A Very SPECIAL Game Thread of Mafia

Postby Conq » 03 Jul 2019, 17:54

Hmmmmm...The ol’ “I missed the deadline to pick my powers so they were randomly assigned” trick.

So, my immediate thought is that Sjg should reveal his powers now. I can explain more after he does that, but I think it’s important.
Conq

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 2410
All-game rating: 2528
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Conq » 03 Jul 2019, 17:58

sjg11 wrote:
Durga for the moment with the normal early game vote disclaimer. Very small read at this point but enough for an early game vote.

I actually found that slightly townie...

It was quite conspicuous. It just seemed like the kind of thing scum wouldn’t do.

I mean...why would Scum!Durga do that? Do you think she’s afraid to post?
Conq

Postby Conq » 03 Jul 2019, 18:09

sjg11 wrote:Nook's also been floating around without making any massively useful contributions.

Well, I disagree with this too, Sjg. I mean, Nook has been floating around in the sense that he has posted. And, he has not made any “massively useful contributions” in the sense that basically nothing has happened yet and nobody has made useful contributions. But I’m surprised you are shading Nook this way on page 2. Are you saying there is something AI about Nook’s contribution level so far? Can you flesh that out more?
Conq

Postby Conq » 03 Jul 2019, 18:12

By the way, I am not going to be around much tomorrow either, and Friday will be a struggle of sneaking peaks from my phone as well. Let's go ahead and nail scum today please.
Conq

Postby Conq » 03 Jul 2019, 18:32

sjg11 wrote:I'm not going to go into detail about what my abilities actually are but I've decided that me revealing this when we reveal roles is asking for too much of a leap of faith from you guys and we don't have many mislynches here so I kinda need to reveal this here so we can decide whether it's gonna be a lynchable issue or not here.

By the way, what exactly do you mean by "so we can decide whether it's gonna by a lynchable issue or not here?" I think what you meant to say was: "I am going to reveal now so that there is less chance that you lynch me for this, as I was forthcoming with it at game start."

I am not saying that means you're scum. I find this reveal to be somewhat town-indicative. But, I'm not sure yet. And I'd like you to reveal your powers so that we can see if your powers corroborate your story about missing the deadline and had them selected randomly. I feel like, if you actually missed the deadline and chose your powers randomly, you're town. Scum would be much less likely to do that. And if you did not miss the deadline, and this is a ruse, you're scum. So...I'd really like to know what your powers are, and I think that information is more useful to us than the information security in the event that you are town.

Obviously, you could lie about your powers. But, that is something we can check.
Conq

Postby Conq » 03 Jul 2019, 18:32

#teamsjgshouldreveal
Conq

Postby Conq » 03 Jul 2019, 18:44

nanooktheeskimo wrote:short version is that only someone with endurance should claim today and even then only if they’re about to be TKed at EOD.

If someone has Endurance active, I'd like to know that right now.

What is the benefit of keeping that secret, unless you are scum? If we lynch someone with Endurance, we're likely down to 4-2 tomorrow without much useful information about the Day 1 vote. That would be very bad. But if someone claims Endurance on the gallows, I'm frankly going to want to lynch them because I'm not going to buy it.

I think we are better off agreeing that a Townie with active Endurance claims right away, and so if someone survives a lynch, they are scum.
Conq

Postby Conq » 03 Jul 2019, 18:51

Honestly, I don't think these powers are all that important to keep secret. I am leaning towards full reveals. I think I'd rather have (1) a better read on people by discussing their power choices, and (2) a way to make liars accountable, which we have.

All powers impacting voting behavior are better out in the open.

And it just doesn't seem like there is that much to hide. Scum are very likely to successfully make a NK tonight whether we reveal or not. I think we get more out of the reveal than the very small chance of having an agility power active at the same time that scum attempts to NK someone.

And one other thing: We should prevent vote shenanigans with the following plan:

(1) We have our own internal vote deadline one hour before the actual deadline.
(2) After the internal deadline, everyone votes for the leading lynch candidate.

That way, the internal vote that we actually see in the thread becomes determinative, and the vote shenanigans will be unable to swing the vote.
Conq

Postby kimpossible » 03 Jul 2019, 19:08

Conq wrote:
sjg11 wrote:
Durga for the moment with the normal early game vote disclaimer. Very small read at this point but enough for an early game vote.

I actually found that slightly townie...

It was quite conspicuous. It just seemed like the kind of thing scum wouldn’t do.

I mean...why would Scum!Durga do that? Do you think she’s afraid to post?

I'd point out that ExiledAtHome did exactly this as scum in Normal Mafia and got awarded townie points by Zoomzip for it for the exact same argument that scum would be more careful. Not that I at all think Durga would be mining old games for scum tricks, but I think it isn't AI.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby kimpossible » 03 Jul 2019, 19:12

Conq wrote:Honestly, I don't think these powers are all that important to keep secret. I am leaning towards full reveals. I think I'd rather have (1) a better read on people by discussing their power choices, and (2) a way to make liars accountable, which we have.

Elaborate. How do you prove someone is lying?

(1) We have our own internal vote deadline one hour before the actual deadline.
(2) After the internal deadline, everyone votes for the leading lynch candidate.

I'll agree with this. I know if I'd randed scum I was planning on taking the lynchproof one and the vote-changing one, so a dogpile strategy mitigates against scum having done exactly that.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads