Life After Death Mafia

Moderators: condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo

Life After Death Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 20 May 2019, 14:59

Rules

This is a 7:2 town:scum ratio game. There are no special roles or hidden rules. The game ends when the last scum is dead (town victory), or the scum reach parity with the town (scum victory). Scum have private comms 24/7 starting Night 0. There will be a standard daily town kill and a standard scum night kill. Days will last approximately 72 hours, and nights approximately 24 hours.

Player alignments will be revealed on death, but dead players will not be informed of the identity of the scum players. Instead they will have access to a dead thread, and each dead town player will be allowed to choose one living player to communicate with privately. Each dead spirit gets one medium, and any living player can only be a medium for one spirit. If your medium dies, sadly you do not get another, you just get to stay in the dead thread.

The first scum to die won't get a medium, but will get to stay in the scum chat.

Players may reveal who they are communicating with and speak in general terms about their conversation, but no cutting/pasting or close paraphrasing. That includes no cutting/pasting posts from the dead thread into PM conversations.

No private communications are allowed outside the scum chat and the medium chats. The GM must be copied on all private conversations related to the game. The dead thread will be a QT board. The participants in all other private conversations may choose their preferred method of comms between PlayDip PMs, a QT board, or a Discord chat, as long as the GM is included.

The Standard Mafia Etiquette Rules apply. Generally speaking, don't be a total asshole. I reserve the right to boot you from my game if you're being a total asshole. Don't edit or delete posts in the game thread; violations of this rule will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Since we still don't have a Vote Tabulator, voting will be through the usual big red text, and I'll post occasional checkpoints and update a "current as of" total at the front of the thread. Ties will be broken by the "whoever got there first" method. No Kill is not a valid vote.

Players may choose to end a day early through unanimously voting to End Day. If players choose to end the day early, it will end the moment the final end vote is cast, and I will resolve the results at the earliest opportunity. Otherwise play on any given day will continue until I officially end the day. Any votes cast in overtime are valid as long as I haven't closed the day yet. End Day votes may be rescinded via Unvote.

Game Map
Vote Count
Start of Day 1
JoeHoya06 is town-killed, was town
Start of D2, Furycane is night-killed, was town
UFO Fever is town-killed, was town
Start of D3, Sjg11 is night-killed, was town

Roster
UFO Fever - Townkilled D2
Sjg11 - Scum killed N2
Zoomzip
Nanooktheeskimo
Telleo
Furycane - Scum killed N1
Joehoya06 - Townkilled D1
Shadowface
Fatmo

ISO Links
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=UFO%20Fever
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=sjg11
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=Zoomzip
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=Nanooktheeskimo
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=Telleo
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=Furycane
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=Joehoya06
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=Shadowface
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=Fatmo

Reserves
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=AKFD

GM Posts
search.php?f=306&t=59740&author=kimpossible
Last edited by kimpossible on 01 Jun 2019, 02:07, edited 12 times in total.
Bearer of the Former Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Life After Death Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 20 May 2019, 15:00

D3 count as of:

viewtopic.php?f=306&t=59740&p=980448#p980448

Zoomzip (1): Nanooktheeskimo
Telleo (2): Shadowface, Fatmo
Nanooktheeskimo (1): Zoomzip
Last edited by kimpossible on 03 Jun 2019, 14:37, edited 18 times in total.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 22 May 2019, 01:34

Day One has begun, you may begin posting in the thread. It will end at about 8 pm EST on Friday 5/24.
Last edited by kimpossible on 23 May 2019, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Zoomzip » 22 May 2019, 01:49

Hey all:

Kim has posted this right as I am hoping to GM my City of Mist campaign, so not sure how active I will be in the next six hours. Also, Kim and I head to Pittsburgh this weekend, so limited availability then assuming still alive.

OK, so... Mechanically, this seems to be a vanilla game except for the hook. Been thinking about this -- Clear townie voices, that's a nice benefit. Can we use it? Can it be used against us?

So... how to use them the best? A few questions that I have some answers for myself, curious to see where other heads are at:

1) Is there a way to get more benefit out of voices than simply advice? I can think of one potential mechanic we can consider, but...
2) Is there a problem with empowering the dead? In my mind, based on one thing I thought of, yes...
3) So how to play this game? My preference is vanilla plus simple dead townie advice, even though vanilla is, I think, scum sided at pure balance. I can explain my thinking later, but... Yeah, thinking of ways to get more advantage out of dead townies, but there is an exploit condition that I don't like.

SJG11 -- Bend the knee to the one team from London left in Europe.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby Zoomzip » 22 May 2019, 02:04

Heh, never mind, City of Mist postponed tonight, so I may have some bandwidth after all.

Oh, and bad ideas: Designating who, if you die, will be your medium. Like, that's YOLO role reveal bad.

Zoomzip

Postby Fatmo » 22 May 2019, 02:09

Hey all.

Trying to think through how useful the dead medium thing mechanic is to town, and I think it's pretty pro-town. As the game goes on, more and more confirmed townies will end up in the dead thread (unless we end up curb stomping the scum like we just saw in that last game lol), where they can have the advantage of being able to look through the thread and bounce ideas around knowing that all of the people in the discussion are town. And these ideas can be filtered into the game through the medium thing.

Also, it's noteworthy that dead townies can pick any living player to be their medium, which means that there's a chance dead townies end up choosing a scum player as their living person. So be on the lookout for that.

For the mechanics people out there, do you see any ways to take advantage of this?

PPE Ahh ZZ is here already.

What do you mean about how to play this game? Do we have a choice to play non-vanilla? There's no other mechanics other than the dead medium stuff. I'm just not sure what you're asking here.

Are you planning to share what you think these potential problems might be (not related to the vanilla or not question)? Or do you think maybe you've thought of a scum exploit and you don't want scum to take the hint?
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Fatmo » 22 May 2019, 02:16

Zoomzip wrote:Oh, and bad ideas: Designating who, if you die, will be your medium. Like, that's YOLO role reveal bad.

I guess I agree in that I don't see any real advantage to town for designating who your medium will be when you die.

Should dead players reveal who they use as their medium within the dead thread? That I think might be a good idea for info sharing within the townie think-tank.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby Zoomzip » 22 May 2019, 02:24

Fatmo wrote:What do you mean about how to play this game? Do we have a choice to play non-vanilla? There's no other mechanics other than the dead medium stuff. I'm just not sure what you're asking here.

The pure rules are vanilla, as a town we can also invent our own structures -- There is a potential structure we could create to use the dead thread.

Fatmo wrote:Are you planning to share what you think these potential problems might be (not related to the vanilla or not question)? Or do you think maybe you've thought of a scum exploit and you don't want scum to take the hint?

So, basically I have a thought of "Oh, hey, as a town we could do this -- But if we do that, scum could do this other thing... and that makes the cost/benefit equation of doing that thing more complicated. " -- You've actually already kinda figured out a piece of it. I will come clean on it after I give people a chance to chime in on mechanics because I am curious where people's heads are and I don''t want to crowd the space out too much.

Zoomzip

Postby Zoomzip » 22 May 2019, 02:25

Fatmo wrote:Should dead players reveal who they use as their medium within the dead thread? That I think might be a good idea for info sharing within the townie think-tank.

Not a question I considered -- First reaction is "Yeah, why not? Anyone in the dead thread is town, they are a mason group essentially" And it mitigates some potential interference and static.

Zoomzip

Postby UFO Fever » 22 May 2019, 02:30

In the minimal amount of pre game thought I put into this, I didn't see how the mediums/dead townie advice could be problematic? I was glad I rolled town this game, and I usually hate rolling town. I plan to just play this as a vanilla game, or maybe we can call this game a French vanilla game or something? Vanilla bean?

One of these days I'll get better at making introductory posts that aren't bad, but it is not this day.

Oh and from Friday-Monday I'll be less active than usual, but I'll at least be on East Coast time.
Silver Classicist.
Acting former bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
Undefeated as scum*.
Dad, if you’re reading this, who the hell taught you how to use the forum?
UFO Fever

Standard rating: (1157)
All-game rating: (1163)

Next

Return to Game Threads