Mafia III Proper (Game thread)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Mafia III Proper (Game thread)

Postby infinity8ball » 05 May 2009, 07:34

Consider this a new start for the game, and much of this is cut and paste, so if it's familiar, there's a reason for it.

The timeline is 48 hours for each day, and 48 hours for each night. With each one ending EXACTLY at 24:00 hours/midnight EDT/EST. This first night is starting a little late but... there's not a lot to do on it anyway but figure out what your roles are!

Cast of Characters:
Firestorm
nickjb3
Flatley
RedArmy
Lord S
Metallord
raphtown
CIAP
Umbrageofsnow
ak47
Ahkmed
GruGloG
Connect4 (Added last second during the first night, I forgot he had signed up! :oops: )

Reserve list:
Iamnobody (replaces any AFK)

Rules

Now many of you have probably played this game before in some form, but as with so many games there are different variations. Unfortunately in this game there is no true original variation so I will just explain all the rules that we will be playing in this version of it so we are all clear.

Play is split into two phases, Day and Night. The game starts of in the first night phase where I will assign you your roles. These roles are known by you alone (exceptions to this later).

After that first night phase the phase alternates between day and night, which in our play time will be 48 hours for both day and night, each ending at 24:00 Eastern Standard/Daylight Time (midnight east coast USA).

In each day phase people are allowed to vote on which other person they would like to go from the game (die). All votes are made publicly on the forum and you are encouraged to discuss with others who you would like to get voted off. All votes should be made in bold, for instance: I vote for Infinity8Ball. You can change your vote as many times as you want and you do not have to vote.

A majority of all votes cast is needed to kill somebody and if a vote is abstained then it counts as if that person didn't exist for that phase. So if there were 20 people then you would need 11 votes on one person to kill them. If only 19 of the 20 voted (NVR or AFK) then you would only need 10 votes on one person to get them killed.

It should be noted that players can talk in this forum or in a PM to one another. So there is lots of scope for snidey-ness and trickery for you diplomacy players.

After the votes result has been announced and if a person has got a majority then they are dead, which means that they can no longer post on this forum. The dead person's role is NOT revealed. If there is no majority then the game continues as normal.

It then becomes the night phase again and this time (and all night phases after this one) any player with a power is allowed to use it. More on powers later, but they all require correspondence with me. There is no talking expect during the Night unless it is with me You'd better plan well for it in the day time. I'm trusting you not to break this one.

After any powers have been resolved it turns to day again and it continues to cycle until a winning condition is reached.

Winning the game

The game is won by the Mafia if they have the same number of people or more as the Innocents at the end of the day phase.
The game is won by the Innocents if there are no more Mafia left alive at any point.

Roles

Mafia (Evil)
The bad guys. Each night they each write me the name of one person they would like to have killed. If each mafia sends me the same name then that person is killed (so it has to be unanimous). Remember that there is no talking at night. When I send you your roles and it turns out you are a mafia I will give you the list of other mafia as well.

Board Gamer (Good)
The main role in the game. No powers, but they, like everyone else, still get a vote each day and I'm sure that there is plenty of accusing and backstabbery to be had.

Doctor (Good)
Each Doctor sends me the name of one person each night. During that night the named person cannot be killed. It must be noted that they a doctor cannot name himself.

FBI Agent (Good)
Each FBI agent sends me the name of one person each night. I will send the FBI Agent a message back telling whether the named person was good or bad. (Think sheriff/watchman, etc.)

Backstabber (Good)
Backstabbers are good... but when investigated, look bad because they are untrustworthy Diplomacy players.

Siblings (Good)
It may be that you find yourself with a sibling. If so then the sibling's name will be told to you and you can be sure that they are Good.

CSI Agent (Good)
Because people are not revealed during the day, the CSI Agent can investigate their deaths at night and determine what someone's role was. Did an innocent die? What about a guilty person? That's up to the CSI to find out, but he has only brought one night's worth of tools and supplies with him to the party, so once all the dead are searched once, that's it!

Mafia 3 Unique Rules:

Unlike Mafia 2, we have agreed to have multiples of some, or possibly none of the roles. So there *could* be more than one doctor, there *could* be more than one backstabber, etc. So be careful out there!

ALSO NOTE, that there can be people with more than one role.
Last edited by infinity8ball on 07 May 2009, 16:49, edited 4 times in total.
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Mafia 3 Proper (Game thread)

Postby infinity8ball » 05 May 2009, 07:41

NIGHT ONE (4/5-4/6)

A lively night is to be had by all when they're invited over to Infinity8Ball's (ifni for short) place for some board games and Diplomacy action! Problem is, Ifni runs with a rough crowd sometimes, and some of his friends don't always play well with others. So while there are some cops coming over to play some games for a night of clean fun... others are coming over with some sinister things in mind. ESPECIALLY when it is discovered that there are 12 people coming to visit.

12 people isn't usually a problem, you have 2 games of 6 each, and Italy isn't played. The problem here however was that certain Mafioso types from certain Italian backgrounds are greatly offended by their home country being left out! And so as the gaming begins, everyone starts their FTF negotiations. Going back and forth from yelling at each other to not do the Lepanto, to fighting over who gets to open the bag of Cheetos, everything seems to be going fine until the host ends up dead!

Greatly offended by how Italy was left out, and given that Ifni knew their identities, the Mafia had decided to strike and "off" the poor host of the evening! This was going to be a long night for everyone at the party, especially when in the morning, the accusations would start to fly...
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby infinity8ball » 07 May 2009, 07:03

DAY ONE (4/7-4/8)

After a very tense night and some nervous chatter, everyone wakes up early to start discussions about who killed me/Infinity8Ball. Not very long after everyone has awoken, there is a knock on the door, and in comes... CONNECT4!

"Hi everyone, sorry I'm late. I got the invite, but Ifni forgot to let me in on the games!" Connect4 tried to explain for his sudden appearence and inclusion in the house Diplomacy party. "So why the long faces?" He asked.

As it was being explained to him that somebody had "off-ed" the host, a sudden revelation occured... the body was gone! Apparently the mafia had disposed of the body so there would be no proof of the crime and the cops would have nothing to work off of but sheer instinct. Someone would have to pay for this, someone always has to pay...
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Lord S » 07 May 2009, 11:38

So we can talk now? Let the accusations fly and what not?

I just want to point out a little mistake in the rules above:

infinity8ball wrote:Winning the game

The game is won by the Mafia if they have the same number of people or more as the Innocents at the end of the day phase.
The game is won by the Innocents if there are no more Vampires left alive at any point.

Lord S

Standard rating: (1009)
All-game rating: (1011)
Timezone: GMT

Postby connect4 » 07 May 2009, 13:59

Lord S wrote:So we can talk now? Let the accusations fly and what not?

infinity8ball wrote:Winning the game

The game is won by the Innocents if there are no more Vampires left alive at any point.

It's not a mistake; there are no vampires left, so we win! :)
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Ahkmed » 07 May 2009, 14:54

Random vote:
Hang Firestorm

(if that's not valid: Vote: Firestorm instead...)

I don't really get the point of the voting and communication rules.
Usually in games I've played you either end the day when a majority has agreed about who to lynch (with no deadline), or have a deadline where the player with the most votes against are hanged (nobody hangs if it's a tie). Needing a majority at a deadline seems very harsh for the town to me.

The communication rule is that everybody are allowed to communicate outside the thread during the day, and nobody is allowed to communicate at night, right? What's the idea behind that? I can understand games with limited communication where the mafia is only allowed to communicate during the night (so they can discuss night kills, but not as much tactics during the day), but I really don't get the point of doing it the other way round. It seems more reasonable to me that the mafia knows the result of the hanging when they decide who to kill. (which is also how it is in FTF mafia)
I usually also prefer to have posting in the game thread during the night. It's often good to hear people's initial thougths about the result of the hanging right after it happened, rather than waiting till after the night.
Ahkmed

Class: Ambassador
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby connect4 » 07 May 2009, 15:54

I'm personally more of a fan of what you're saying, Ahkmed, but merely to play Devil's Advocate:

The day-time killing rule is probably the most realistic. If a couple of people don't show up to the town meeting to decide who to kill, you don't wait for their votes; the lynch mob just goes and kills. However, if more than half the people disagree, then there'll be internal fighting among the mob, and no one dies. So that one at least makes sense. Also, by requiring a majority of cast votes (note that if only 5 vote, even if 10 are alive, then 3 votes kills someone), that allows you to more easily voluntarily choose to go to sleep without a kill. That way you don't have to balance votes carefully, hoping to land them in just the right places to maintain a tie. Going to sleep with no kill, especially early on, is vital for the villagers to gain information (unless of course the cop is killed early). Granted it makes a target easily visible if someone casts a deciding vote, but this one's fair.

The nighttime communication thing is something I have only played in the previous game. With the fact that there's a reasonably sized minority of Mafia (I think 8ball said about 1/3 last time), then the villagers need anything they can get. Last game we had 9 people and 3 mafia; the villagers were thus allowed a single mistake (had the Mafia all been killing each night), which isn't a lot of time/info to go by. Thus, this helps at least tilt things back toward the villagers a little bit.

And as for public nighttime discussion, although I've never tried it, so I can't speak from experience, but immediate discussion of the lynching would a) allow the Mafia to hint something to other Mafia as to who to kill (or flat out message during the night), and b) I had a b here, but I currently forget it. It would be interesting to try someday, but the more thoughts you hear after the death, the more likely it would be for the Mafia to zero in on a key target.

That being said, I will currently abstain.
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Ahkmed » 07 May 2009, 16:10

connect4 wrote:The day-time killing rule is probably the most realistic. If a couple of people don't show up to the town meeting to decide who to kill, you don't wait for their votes; the lynch mob just goes and kills. However, if more than half the people disagree, then there'll be internal fighting among the mob, and no one dies. So that one at least makes sense. Also, by requiring a majority of cast votes (note that if only 5 vote, even if 10 are alive, then 3 votes kills someone), that allows you to more easily voluntarily choose to go to sleep without a kill. That way you don't have to balance votes carefully, hoping to land them in just the right places to maintain a tie. Going to sleep with no kill, especially early on, is vital for the villagers to gain information (unless of course the cop is killed early). Granted it makes a target easily visible if someone casts a deciding vote, but this one's fair.

I'm used to playing with the possibility of voting to 'hang nobody' to solve that. If Nobody has the most votes (or is part of the tie) at deadline, there won't be a hanging.

connect4 wrote:The nighttime communication thing is something I have only played in the previous game. With the fact that there's a reasonably sized minority of Mafia (I think 8ball said about 1/3 last time), then the villagers need anything they can get. Last game we had 9 people and 3 mafia; the villagers were thus allowed a single mistake (had the Mafia all been killing each night), which isn't a lot of time/info to go by. Thus, this helps at least tilt things back toward the villagers a little bit.

A mafia group of 33 % of the players seems quite a lot a to me. I usually find that around 25 % mafia (opposed to at least 30 % vanilla townies) seems reasonable in forum games (it's generally easier to be a mafia on forum than in FTF).

connect4 wrote:And as for public nighttime discussion, although I've never tried it, so I can't speak from experience, but immediate discussion of the lynching would a) allow the Mafia to hint something to other Mafia as to who to kill (or flat out message during the night), and b) I had a b here, but I currently forget it. It would be interesting to try someday, but the more thoughts you hear after the death, the more likely it would be for the Mafia to zero in on a key target.

Of course, if public nighttime discussion is allowed, the mafia should also be allowed to communicate privately during the night.
More public discussion will never be to the advantage of the mafia (as long as we're not talking coalition games). Sure, the valuable power townies have to be careful not to say something that lets the mafia guess their role, but that's always true - whether you're talking during the day or night.
Ahkmed

Class: Ambassador
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby infinity8ball » 07 May 2009, 16:50

Lord S wrote:So we can talk now? Let the accusations fly and what not?

Changed, thanks. ;p

Also, yes, there is NO TALKING during the night but powers are used, but there is talking during the day, but no powers used.
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby TheRedArmy » 07 May 2009, 18:03

Well, we have NO information to go on. I'm not about to randomly kill someone who could be innocent without so much as a fair trial. I may change my vote later if something comes up (can I do that?) but for now, I abstain.
Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears.
Proud Member of the Diplomacy League team, The Force.
New to Diplomacy? Join a Mentor Game!
TheRedArmy

Next

Return to Game Threads