Christmas Time Is Here Again (Scum Win)

Moderators: condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo

Christmas Time Is Here Again (Scum Win)

Postby Nanook » 21 Dec 2018, 10:45

Welcome to Christmastown! The most festive locale in the world. But...what's this...there appears to be a Grinch roaming around, trying to steal Christmas for himself! The horror of it all!

Game Map:
EOD1
Start of D2
EOD2
Start of D3
EOD3

Player Roster:
  1. UFO Fever
  2. sjg11
  3. Aeschines
  4. Subotai45
  5. Agnimandur
  6. Myloninja13
  7. RedSun
  8. Kimpossible
  9. JoeHoya06
  10. Firestorm94

Some of you will be the Christmas Enthusiasts (town despite the color), that want to see Christmas happen without a hitch.

One of you will be The Grinch (scum despite the color), that want to steal Christmas.

One of you will be Max, who has a heart of gold but is still working with the Grinch.

And one of you will be Santa Claus.

Here's the rundown:

Santa's goal is to deliver gifts to town players. The Grinch's goal is to steal gifts or knock out Santa. Max's goal is to help the Grinch. The town's goal is to keep Santa alive (the idea, not a specific player--this will become clear shortly) and execute the Grinch (this is a gritty reboot).

Every night, some stuff will happen:

Santa will visit a number of players (assuming enough signups, 3 the first night, 2 the second, 1 from there on). If the player visited is town, he'll leave them a gift. If the player he visited is the Grinch, the Grinch will be incapacitated for a night (Santa will not be informed if he visited the Grinch or not, nor will he be informed if he has successfully left a gift). If he visits Max, nothing happens. If he's pushed off a roof, he dies (see the Christmas Enthusiasts section).

The Grinch will visit a player. If he targets someone with a gift, he'll steal that gift. If he targets Santa, he'll incapacitate Santa. If he targets someone without a gift, nothing happens. If he targets the same player that Santa targets in the same night, he won't steal a gift nor will Santa leave a gift. If he's pushed off a roof, he dies (see the Christmas Enthusiasts section).

Christmas Enthusiasts can decide whether to look on their roof or not. They may only look on their roof once per game. If they look on their roof and Santa or the Grinch does NOT visit them that night, nothing happens. If they look on their roof and Santa or the Grinch DOES visit them that night, whichever visited them dies and they become the new Santa or Grinch. If Santa and the Grinch BOTH visit them, nothing happens.

Win conditions:

Christmas Enthusiasts win if they execute The Grinch and Max, and Santa is alive (does not have to be the original Santa)

Santa wins if The Grinch and Max are executed AND half the living town players have gifts.

The Grinch wins if he and Max are equal to the number of town-aligned players (townspeople plus Santa), AND less than half the living town players have gifts (not including Santa).

Max wins if he and/or The Grinch are equal to the number of town-aligned players.

The Grinch and Max will have a NK, but The Grinch may either perform a NK OR visit someone at night, he cannot do both. If The Grinch and Max cannot agree on a NK target, no NK will be performed. The Grinch may NK Max at any time. They will have both night and day chat.

If Santa visits The Grinch while both scum are alive, the NK will still go through. If Santa visits The Grinch after Max is dead, the NK will be prevented. If Santa visits Max, nothing happens no matter what.

Deadlines will be 3 days, I expect at least a post or two every 24 hours, and voting will be pure plurality as usual. No Lynch is not an option.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Christmas Time Is Here Again (Night Zero)

Postby Nanook » 21 Dec 2018, 10:46

It is currently N0. D1 will begin approximately December 21, 6pm EST/11pm BST.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Nanook » 22 Dec 2018, 01:17

D1 has begun. Go crazy folks.

D1 will end by approximately December 24, 6pm EST/11pm BST.

Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Firestorm94 » 22 Dec 2018, 01:19

Hey everyone. I spent a little time mulling over the rules and tried to figure out how we should approach this game as a town. I’m usually not right about mechanics discussions right away, so I’d appreciate your input to determine the best possible plan for us to use going forward.

1. Win Conditions

A few important details about win conditions that I would like to highlight:
The town loses if we lynch Santa. Nook confirmed to me that we lose immediately if we mislynch Santa, but if he’s night killed, we can still win a partial victory.
Santa’s win condition does not require them to be alive at the end of the game.

I think that these two notes about win conditions are important when considering situations in which Santa is at risk of dying.

2. Santaaaaaaaaaa

On that note, I thought about potentially encouraging Santa to just reveal right away today to give us a confirmed townie day one. Unfortunately, revealing day one probably auto-loses the game for Santa (and makes it so we can only win a partial victory) since the mafia have a night kill.

However, I think it’s worth considering having Santa reveal if they are likely to get lynched. For Santa, this gives him the chance to achieve his win condition even after he (very likely) gets night killed after revealing. For the town, this allows us to avoid auto-losing for killing Santa. We still end up losing part of our win condition, but it’s better than losing completely.

Of course, I’m hoping we can avoid nearly lynching Santa at all, but I think it’s important for us to discuss this possibility now so that we are prepared if it happens.

3. Hospitality

It’s rude to throw your visitors off the roof. It’s also anti-town. I think it’s in our interests to just ignore this mechanic unless I’m missing something. If you kill Santa, you advance the mafia win condition (-1 townie for the night, on top of a possible night kill). Plus, you gain the presents win condition, so you have to work even harder to win. If you kill the Grinch, you now have to deal with maintaining a low present count on top of having to play the mafia game. And that’s the least bad outcome for you.

Overall, I just think we’re better off not pushing anyone off our roofs.

I think that’s all I have for now. Please give me some feedback. I work a lot better on this sort of stuff when I have someone else working with me.
Firestorm94

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1026)
All-game rating: (1025)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby UFO Fever » 22 Dec 2018, 01:21

Sup everyone let's Christmas this bitch up.
Silver Classicist.
Acting former bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
Undefeated as scum*.
Dad, if you’re reading this, who the hell taught you how to use the forum?
UFO Fever

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1157)
All-game rating: (1163)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby UFO Fever » 22 Dec 2018, 01:25

Oh and Kimpossible solve game OR DIE!
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby UFO Fever » 22 Dec 2018, 01:30

FS Santa should absolutely not reveal unless it's essentially EOD and they are about to be lynched.
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby Firestorm94 » 22 Dec 2018, 01:32

Agreed. What do you think about pushing people off the roof?

1. UFO Fever
  2. sjg11
  3. Aeschines
  4. Subotai45
  5. Agnimandur
  6. RedSun
  7. Kimpossible
  8. JoeHoya06
  9. Firestorm94

I think I did this right?
Firestorm94

Postby UFO Fever » 22 Dec 2018, 01:39

I have no reason to care one way or the other if others push people off of roofs. Town wins so long as we kill scum with a Santa alive. If they push the Grinch off the roof then we should be able to notice a change in form from town to scum (I'd hope). And if Santa dies that completely resets who scum thinks Santa is. Maybe don't push people off the roof toward the end of the game, but early on I don't really have a problem with it.
Silver Classicist.
Undefeated as scum*.
UFO Fever

Postby Firestorm94 » 22 Dec 2018, 01:44

If people push Santa/Grinch off the roof, it directly hurts the town win condition by reducing the number of townies (down one Santa or down one townie). I'm having trouble understanding the apathetic response to this mechanic when it seems pretty clear-cut as anti-town. Can you tell me a bit more about why this anti-town-ness doesn't matter? Or am I wrong about it being anti-town at all?
Firestorm94

Next

Return to Game Threads