Mafia CLXXI: Alien Infection (Town win!)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Mafia CLXXI: Alien Infection (Town win!)

Postby kimpossible » 23 Apr 2018, 18:21

Alien Infection

Welcome to Mars. You are all part of Earth’s advance terraforming team, here to scout the landscape and find the most viable location for the early biodomes and dig sites.

However, you aren't the only ones here. Two alien scouts got here before you did, and they are not pleased by your arrival. They’ve disguised themselves as humans and joined your team. You’d think someone might recognize which two faces didn’t start out on the ship with you, but hey, you're all known more for your geological analyses than your interpersonal skills.

You need to kill them. Problem is, they're infecting you with mind-control agents, and if your numbers dip low enough, they'll slaughter the rest of you and take their minions back with them to Pi Unicae 3, or wherever it is they're from.

Shoot the aliens. Failing that, shoot the minions they've infected. Oh, and those minions won't know they're infected until it's too late, so y'know. Good luck with that.

Game Rules

The game begins with 2 Aliens and 7 Humans. Humans will become Infected during the game.
  1. Every day the Humans must choose someone to shoot by voting in large red text (150 points or larger). Nicknames and minor misspellings will count. The victim's alignment and infection status will be revealed upon death. Self-voting is allowed. No Lynch is not a valid vote. Ties will be settled by random selection.
  2. The Aliens' goal is to spread infection.
    1. There are no night kills. Instead, Aliens target Humans for infection. Infections are targeted one night, and take effect the following night, i.e. a N1 target is Infected on D3.
    2. Alien 1 targets a Human on N0. Alien 2 targets a Human on N2. Humans will not be informed when they are infected, but I will announce at the start of each day phase how many infected humans are in play.
    3. If an Alien is shot, any minions they own die as well.
    4. When a minion dies for any reason, a new target will be chosen that night.
    5. If a Human targeted for infection is lynched during the day phase between being targeted and becoming infected, the Alien who targeted them will choose a new target that night. The infection will still take one day-phase to take effect.
    6. There may only be two Infected humans at any time. While two Aliens are in play, each will own one Infected human as a minion. If only one Alien is still alive, they may have two minions.
    7. Aliens will have chat at all times, since they communicate via mental telepathy.
  3. The Humans win when both Aliens have been shot. Infected humans still have this victory condition.
  4. The Aliens win when the number of living Aliens plus living Infected humans outnumber the living healthy Humans, and at least one Alien is still alive.
  5. If a mislynch leads to a case where the night infection would mean an Alien victory, the game will end after the lynch.
  6. In the event that 1 Alien, 1 Human, and no Infected humans are alive, the game will be called as a draw. I don't think this should be possible, but just in case.

General Rules

Days will begin at 1900 Eastern (1600 Pacific, midnight GMT) and last 72 hours. Night phases will last 24 hours. End Day votes will be accepted and will end the day immediately upon reaching unanimity. Otherwise play may continue until the GM ends the day. End Day votes may be withdrawn by Unvote unless unanimity has already been reached. In this event I will process Day End as soon as is feasible, but any votes cast after unanimity has been reached will not be counted.

The C4 Vote Tabulator will be used to track votes. It is player responsibility to make sure your votes are counted by the tabulator, but if a legal vote is cast before Day End and not recognized, it will still count. I will post the vote count at the end of the day and request independent verification of the count from a couple players before finalizing the results.

No editing or deleting posts. No copying GM communications on pain of modkill.

Purple text is reserved for the GM because it’s her favorite color. Don’t use it.

Refer to this thread for additional general etiquette rules I ask everyone to follow.
Last edited by kimpossible on 09 May 2018, 04:37, edited 17 times in total.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Mafia CLXXI: Alien Infection

Postby kimpossible » 23 Apr 2018, 18:22

Last edited by kimpossible on 09 May 2018, 04:39, edited 24 times in total.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 23 Apr 2018, 18:22

Generic Role PMs

Humans
Welcome to Mars, [player]! You are a Human.

24 hours from now you’ll awaken from cryosleep and start searching for the alien invaders amongst you. You win when they’re both dead.

Aliens
Hello [player] and [player]! You are the Aliens.

You win the game when the number of living aliens + living minions is greater than the number of living healthy humans, and at least one of you is still alive. Your minions can’t win for you if you're dead, sorry.
Last edited by kimpossible on 24 Apr 2018, 14:05, edited 7 times in total.
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 23 Apr 2018, 18:24

Begin Day One

Day One ends at 1900 EDT on 4/28
Last edited by kimpossible on 26 Apr 2018, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
kimpossible

Re: Mafia CLXXI: Alien Infection (starts 4/25, reserves welc

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 26 Apr 2018, 01:03

How's it going all just so everyone is aware ill only have a few hours per day round this time to post till Saturday in which time ill be on all day just so no one thinks I'm lurking
I'm me I'm odd learn to deal with it... all geniuses' are crazy...
Timeclock of Confusion :?:,
Dwiltse1114

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1048)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Zoomzip » 26 Apr 2018, 02:29

Good morning all. My name is ZoomZip, preferred pronouns are he/him or they/their. Greetings to all, I think I've played with you all before here.

May as well reveal:

Questions I think are somewhat useful for early thoughts

1) Assume you are scum -- what do you want in infection targets?
2) Given the answer 1, does that affect how you play the game?
3) Based on the answer to #1, do you feel you are a likely infection target?

Based on my analysis of these answers, I have reached a few conclusions, which can be summarized as "I think trophy hunting, normally frowned upon, might not be a bad idea, but that created its own pro-scum problems, so... shit. That being said, I think I AM a likely infection target, which means -- which means I really think if I do get into early lynch peril, and someone saves me, I'd be more suspicious of my saviors than even normal."

Next question:

4) Does the fact that there is no night kill (and therefore no night alignment reveal) affect how you feel about the game? My answer: Yes -- I think I want to be even more hyper vote happy than normal. Create more points of inflection, given that there will be fewer actual reveals to fill in charts with, so creating useful points of inflection is important. It's not just the EOD vote counts that matter, surely we learned that from the last Telleo Normal game.

Vote earlier and oftener

Dwiltse1114 wrote:How's it going all just so everyone is aware ill only have a few hours per day round this time to post till Saturday in which time ill be on all day just so no one thinks I'm lurking

Yo! Dwiltse -- Given that you have such limited time, why is the MOST IMPORTANT THOUGHT you have at the beginning of the game related to self preservation? Was this the best use of your time? Do you have any additional thoughts on the mechanics? In fact, my analysis of questins 1-3 make me think I want to be less self-preserving than even normal, right?

Telleo -- Yes, having called out Dwiltse for a minimal effort and value first post, I am choosing to whip instead. Interesting, no? Have at it.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby sjg11 » 26 Apr 2018, 02:33

Here, busy tomorrow, expect me to get moving on Friday. FYI, do not expect a stellar sjg until D2.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Nanook » 26 Apr 2018, 03:15

I have 7 days of class left, so you won't be getting fully engaged, analytical Nanook very much, and a lot more "I'm here cause I was promised cookies" Nanook. Sorry, but also, not that sorry. Cause, ya know, cookies.

Telleo

There's a very good chacne she's either scum or infected. Cause, ya know. She's Telleo. So that's where my vote starts.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby condude1 » 26 Apr 2018, 03:25

Hey guys! I'm here and in an extraordinarily good mood. Exams went amazingly, and my grades are through the roof! Expect superlative happiness for a few days at least :D .

I have to reread the rules and manage a PBF Dip game, but I'll be around in evenings for the next two days, then maximum activity thereafter. I'll be around tonight though!

More in a minute after a reread of the rules and hopefully not getting stabbed in Dip.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Parabellum » 26 Apr 2018, 04:15

Just checking in, I'll have more time to post tomorrow. Good luck to everyone whose DNA type matches mine. (On second though, couldn't we just run a DNA test and get this thing over with? I mean, I'm guessing the aliens' disguises are qualitative only, and they didn't actually transform themselves completely into human beings. Talk about game-breaking. Please everyone send your DNA samples to Ancestry.com, and I guess we only need to survive long enough for them to do their tests... which is like, what, 48 hours?)

Also, since it seems to be the trend, I'll reveal as human as well.

ZZ, do you always whip vote in your first post? If so, why? If not, why are you doing it here?

@Nook, is your Telleo vote real? I got the impression it is. How strongly are you attached to that vote/do you think your reasoning about her being probably infected if she's not scum will trump other behavioral analysis on D1?
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Standard rating: (990)
All-game rating: (978)

Next

Return to Game Threads