Main Event Mafia: Game Thread (GAME OVER N3)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Main Event Mafia: Game Thread (Night 0)

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 13 Feb 2018, 02:21

Dwiltse1114 wrote:just as joehuya monitor over the entrance turns on while all the lights dim (anoyher in the dark venture who would have guessed). All of a sudden dwiltse pops up laughing in hysteria.

Who are you joe to demand a title shot when every wrestler here deserves it in their own right. Myself included. I would come out and smack you silly but I don't wanna get my hands dirty I'd much rather take u out in a more formal setting.

Crowd is cheering
viewforum.php?f=306
Calm down crowd nothing for you worthless snobs to be excited about I also don't wanna smell your stink. Just standing out here I smell garbage.

Croad boos

However I digress as to joe as well as Mr telleo I propose a great match for the fans of mine even tho this city don't deserve it here. I propose a fatal 4 way with the fourth person being picked out by out authority Mr zoomzip. Or the next wrestler who steps up to take the championship.

Crowd excited in anticipation hoping the match goes off

There are other matters in wish I get to but that i will have to get to next week as I gotta run and wash the stink of this city off me. I hope Mr zoom approves of my terms and hope we can get this secret event started with a (pause) bang!!!!

Lights shut off with dwiltses insane laughter meeting everyone and their mother

I liked that dwilt proposed a thing in his first post, and wanted to thinly villa read him for it. I'm a little curious though what he meant by 'secret event' in the bolded portion. Dwilt could you explain what that meant?
UpsideDownChuck

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Main Event Mafia: Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 13 Feb 2018, 02:24

sjg11 wrote:Alright guys:
1. Kim, nanook, you've been talking about my alignment so far and... haven't mentioned the fact that I'm injured currently? Injured as in I'm one step closer to being night-killed here? Surely that's like the most relevant thing to talk about all game so far? Certainly far more interesting than sjg misinterpreting the rules for like the umpteenth time in a game of Mafia?
2. In other news, the Mafia actually picked a bad target. I'm a third-party here. I have a designated player who I need to get lynched here as I have a grudge against them. I think the player I was meant to kill is based on the answers to my questions and it's Telleo. I guess it's my job to hope that Telleo is scum here and hope that I can persuade you guys to lynch her at some point...
3. More later, sjg needs sleep now.

1. Assuming the NK was done by the heels, sincerely missing this makes them villagers, no?

2. Hey-Oh
UpsideDownChuck

Postby JoeHoya06 » 13 Feb 2018, 02:33

kimbyrle wrote:
JoeHoya06 wrote:• I'm not entirely sure I buy Telleo's "hidden rule" claim on its surface simply from the standpoint that it seems like the kind of thing there's no need to have a rule for. What "penalty" would there be for not accepting a challenge? What would happen if the challenged player cut their promo first, then received challenges (like when Nanook challenged me)? They couldn't accept ANY of them at that point.

ZZ posted earlier that matches are accepted by default if they are not refused.

But clearly this isn't entirely true, as Nanook challenged me after I had already promo'd my little heart out, and instead of booking the match, ZZ left things as they were between me and Chuck.
We're the builders of their destiny.

Gold Classicist, Mafia forum interloper
JoeHoya06
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1102
All-game rating: 1159
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 13 Feb 2018, 02:35

JoeHoya06 wrote:It's good that we've taken all the fun out of the variant even BEFORE Day 1, so good job, guys!

• This is ZoomZip's game, so I feel like I should throw down a vote in my first D1 post as an homage. It's going to SJG11, for two reasons. One, I did not like the low-key shading of the "note that Kim, Joe, and DWilt used their promos for flavor instead of how I am using it" comment. The flavor is the entire reason I'm playing the game, so yeah, I'm gonna embrace that. That's also a borderline shitty reason for a vote, though, so...

...two, your discussion of the championship is the scummiest thing that happened on N0. The rules even explicitly say that there may be methods of killing players overnight. And your claim that the championship is an immunity idol seems to neglect the fact that there's a lynch vote, and that the paragraph describing it says nothing about the champion not being eligible for a lynch. You seem to know a lot about the championship for someone who doesn't have the belt.

I actually agreed with Hoya's dislike of sjg11's "I do note" line, although given that 1) he's claimed 3p and 2) he appears to have been targeted for injury during N0, which is decently likely to be a scum target I don't want to lynch him for it now (nor necessarily would I without those as it's rather thin). I am skeptical though of the suspicion that sjg11's comment here:

sjg11 wrote:2. The Champion is like an immunity idol, after tonight it might be worth treating it like one. Namely a vote for who goes be the new Champion. Whoever is in a match-up with the elected champion should throw it.
3. It appears that there is not factional night kill in this game. The only way to get people killed at night is through forced retirement through injuries. The Big-Shot appears to be our only way of forcing injuries. It would seem sensible to enact a no Big-Shot policy for the moment.

is in some way scum indicative and betrays scum knowledge of mechanics. It seems completely compatible with what the rules state,

rules wrote:The Championship may not be eliminated via injury, but may be forced to vacate the title via injury.

rules wrote:There may be mechanics that allow for players to be killed by night action. The existence of this rule does not confirm the presence of such mechanics. A traditional guaranteed night kill is specifically not provided to the Heels, but other methods of a kill may be available to them.

perhas a clarification on the term 'immunity idol' would be helpful. It stems from a game series of the same name in which immunity idols are voted on during the day phase and confer protection for one night from the scum NK. It doesn't make people lynch immune (in the context of the ii games it's not likely that someone would simultaneously get lynched and get awarded an immunity idol).
UpsideDownChuck

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 13 Feb 2018, 02:40

kim wrote:I am super pro card reveals. We should be gaming the match outcomes.

I don't see a downside to this, per se. I do think that spending too much time focusing on mechanics at the expense of scumhunting is a danger in this set-up (I'm pleasantly surprised that people'd already started moving into scumhunting when I got here).
UpsideDownChuck

Re: Main Event Mafia: Game Thread (Night 0)

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 13 Feb 2018, 02:43

UpsideDownChuck wrote:
Dwiltse1114 wrote:just as joehuya monitor over the entrance turns on while all the lights dim (anoyher in the dark venture who would have guessed). All of a sudden dwiltse pops up laughing in hysteria.

Who are you joe to demand a title shot when every wrestler here deserves it in their own right. Myself included. I would come out and smack you silly but I don't wanna get my hands dirty I'd much rather take u out in a more formal setting.

Crowd is cheering
http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=306
Calm down crowd nothing for you worthless snobs to be excited about I also don't wanna smell your stink. Just standing out here I smell garbage.

Croad boos

However I digress as to joe as well as Mr telleo I propose a great match for the fans of mine even tho this city don't deserve it here. I propose a fatal 4 way with the fourth person being picked out by out authority Mr zoomzip. Or the next wrestler who steps up to take the championship.

Crowd excited in anticipation hoping the match goes off

There are other matters in wish I get to but that i will have to get to next week as I gotta run and wash the stink of this city off me. I hope Mr zoom approves of my terms and hope we can get this secret event started with a (pause) bang!!!!

Lights shut off with dwiltses insane laughter meeting everyone and their mother

I liked that dwilt proposed a thing in his first post, and wanted to thinly villa read him for it. I'm a little curious though what he meant by 'secret event' in the bolded portion. Dwilt could you explain what that meant?

Certainly Mr. Udc although its a little bit sad considering it was ment to say *sacred* but unfortunately writing off my phone is slightly irritating as it autocorrect even words that are spelled correctly. As such I do apologize for that.

On a side note as I'm doing all of this off my phone I will be posting with several smaller posts rather then 1 huge one.
I'm me I'm odd learn to deal with it... all geniuses' are crazy...
Timeclock of Confusion :?:,
Dwiltse1114

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1048)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 13 Feb 2018, 02:56

JoeHoya06 wrote:• Along those lines...SJG and Dwilt: why did you challenge Telleo? I know why I did, but I want to know why you did.

• Although, I wish ZZ would have booked the four-way match because it's therefore a given that SJG would have finished fourth. #soccerjoke::

Again no issues with answering a simple question. The reason why I challenged telleo is very simply answered. WHO doesn't want to be champion :D :D :D as such I thought long and hard about just advising a three way. After a little thought I thought why not advise one more challenger into the ring opening the game up for a fun filled first day. (I may have got a little to excited trying to be an actual wrestler).

With that said I was kinda slighted by the fact that she had been cowardly in the sense that she only accepted one challenger. Though I digress on that however I was quite questioning the fact that miss telleo should have accepted her first challengers in... Challenge aka you Joe... From first glance as to why she accepts sjg over others is from what she stated to punish her idol? No its more over to work together maybe they have some connection the rest of us are unaware of I'm not sure. That being said she had also implied a grudge match not suitable for all ages which from what I'm aware of are no dq matchs. Also in the same turn sjg gets brutally assaulted coincidence? Who knows however it might be connected for future document.
Dwiltse1114

Postby Telleo » 13 Feb 2018, 02:57

kimbyrle wrote:
I am super pro card reveals. We should be gaming the match outcomes.

I hate this. I hate this doubly because it's probably right. Info-sec me doesn't want to show my hand (heh heh) but I agree with sjg/nook/kim idea that we want low vote totals, and that gaming the matches seems like a good way to achieve this. I don't really see any way around revealing cards, although I suggest we wait till everyone's in thread, in case there's something not match-related that we might want to keep cards secret for.

Flavor-wise, Kim wants to throw someone off the top of Hell in a Cell to plummet 16 feet through an announcer's table. Strategy-wise, I'm not sure where the value in arranging these might be.

Oh man do I feel you. Flavor-Telleo wants to cheat in every match and interfere in everyone else's. Probs not a great plan though.

Maybe to set up a match at some point where we can guarantee nobody will intentionally disqualify themselves? Prevent interference by scumsters?

My natural inclination is to KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Focus on paired matches, with triple threats thrown around as our numbers require. It should make setting up wins/loses relatively easy. Sjg makes a good point that in later days we might want to limit the number of losers/winners by increasing our number of triple threats/fatal four ways. Seems reasonable.

I'm not especially bothered by sjg's "no factional night kill" statement because the rules straight-up say "A traditional guaranteed night kill is specifically not provided to the Heels." It's followed by "other methods of a kill may be available to them," but to me that feels like a townie oversight, and if anything just suggests he has no such ability.

I tend to agree. I could easily see that being read as "There's absolutely no NK but I want there to be some uncertainty so I'm leaving the door open." I don't AGREE with that reading, but I see how Sjg came to that conclusion, and it doesn't seem alignment indicative.

THIS, however... raises eyebrows:

Sjg11 wrote:AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO READ THE POST WHERE I WAS THE NIGHT-KILL TARGET?

...was that what happened? I mean... you're alive, aren't you? Why do you go so quickly from "There's no NK" to "I was targeted by a NK?"

Did ZZ tell you anything regarding your attack that he hasn't told us?

And this all brings me to this:

Sjg11

THIRD PARTY IS NOT TOWN. This is doubly true in Sjg's case, where he doesn't have any interest in helping the town through the first few days only to betray them later. He literally just wants me dead. This is highly damaging to the town's ability to function, not least of which because it means that if I ever become a lynch target (even if we're approaching or at LYLO), I can't be lynched while Sjg is still in the game. He should be removed, ASAP. There's literally no reason to not kill him tonight, unless we get caught scum. Really, even then there's an argument to make that unless/until I'm cleared town, Sjg's a permanent threat to our ability to freely control our lynches.

I really actually hate that I have to vote him so early, because it means I can't make a joke about not voting Sjg because the cop will invariably tell us if he's scum tomorrow morning.

JoeHoya06 wrote:It's good that we've taken all the fun out of the variant even BEFORE Day 1, so good job, guys!

• This is ZoomZip's game, so I feel like I should throw down a vote in my first D1 post as an homage. It's going to SJG11, for two reasons. One, I did not like the low-key shading of the "note that Kim, Joe, and DWilt used their promos for flavor instead of how I am using it" comment. The flavor is the entire reason I'm playing the game, so yeah, I'm gonna embrace that. That's also a borderline shitty reason for a vote, though, so...

...two, your discussion of the championship is the scummiest thing that happened on N0. The rules even explicitly say that there may be methods of killing players overnight. And your claim that the championship is an immunity idol seems to neglect the fact that there's a lynch vote, and that the paragraph describing it says nothing about the champion not being eligible for a lynch. You seem to know a lot about the championship for someone who doesn't have the belt.

This, is a bad vote. Why is it bad that Sjg reminds everyone that our promos don't HAVE to be flavor-only? It shows that he's not just thinking but that he wants others to think. Also, I fail to see how "There's not traditional NK, but there might be other methods of killing" translates to "there's no reason to ever think the scum might not have a kill."

There's also nothing in his discussion of the championship that you couldn't know by reading the rules. As champion, I can't be eliminated via injury. The rules straight-up say that. If the scum are forced to attempt to kill people by injuring them, the Championship is immunity to NK's. That's what Sjg was referencing, and it's literally what the Immunity Idols did in those games. How much did you understand about what Sjg was saying before you dropped this vote?

• I'm not entirely sure I buy Telleo's "hidden rule" claim on its surface simply from the standpoint that it seems like the kind of thing there's no need to have a rule for. What "penalty" would there be for not accepting a challenge? What would happen if the challenged player cut their promo first, then received challenges (like when Nanook challenged me)? They couldn't accept ANY of them at that point.

At the same time, it makes even less sense that she would make something like that up, so, I guess it's probably real. Kinda want to vote her anyway for accepting SJG's challenge over mine when I CLEARLY deserve the title shot more than he does. :)

Why?

What possible reason do I have for lying about something so easily verifiable? Also, how did you miss the OTHER hidden rules that have become evident since then? Like, you come to the conclusion that I'm probably telling the truth so... why is this important to throw out?

By the way, since you express concern, I asked ZZ what happens if a player is challenged after cutting their own promo (referencing his rule that a challenge is auto-accepted if not specifically declined) and he responds that such challenges are ignored, per the rules. [/quote]

• Although, I wish ZZ would have booked the four-way match because it's therefore a given that SJG would have finished fourth. #soccerjoke

• I get why you guys want to pre-script the outcomes – hey, maybe you're embracing the flavor more than I thought – but there's really no point in doing it D1, unless someone moves way ahead of the pack in regards to who looks the heel-iest, right? We're all at one vote – allegedly – so we can't fall below, and someone is going to win every match unless we drew a matching token to our opponent. Over half the...uh...town? promotion? league?...has about 24 hours to submit a token, and I doubt we're going to get anywhere before then in regards to how to decide who beats who.

True that it doesn't matter who wins today, however, we still need it planned. Else, we don't know who to challenge during the night. So it's not crucial that we make a plan in the next 24 hours, since we can make a plan that includes those results, but we do need to know what we're doing by the end of the day.

I see there's more PPE, but I've gotta go to class so the rest will wait till tonight.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)

Postby Dwiltse1114 » 13 Feb 2018, 03:09

On other notes of interest there are a few questions which need answering as well as why I choose the people I did in my questions pre game.

SJG

I'm also curious to know if you had received a message stating you are injured? And also if it states how injured you are? Or is that all assumed as the rest of us are?

TELLEO

Why only pick sjg? Why pick him at all when Joe made first claim and sjg last?

EVERYONE

Who does everyone want excluding themselves to be seen as champion? Me personally (even though he apparently wants to throw darts at me) if sad UDC coinciding with my relationship web.

UDC

Why you throw darts? :( it makes an old friend sad now impress me XD

On the note of why I choose my relationship questions as I did its because o have played with both udc and sjg in the past I admire both of their gameplay and intuition (assuming it hasn't dulled). Of course I have also played with asu and telleo but not as much or long as udc and shy...

The reason I choose miss kim is because I like how implied she appears to be while posting and she seems like she could make both great friend and foe for anyone in any mafia game. And her as I've never played with found my head with interested to see what could happen if I like and prode her a little and how good of a friend/foe she can be...

Also concerning the mater of card reveals I am very much pro and as such have 2 jacks and an 8 at my disposal currently obviously will be using a jack for better odds of winning and if needed can fall a lose next day to bring my vote count back to 1
Dwiltse1114

Postby kimpossible » 13 Feb 2018, 04:23

UpsideDownChuck wrote:
kim wrote:I am super pro card reveals. We should be gaming the match outcomes.

I don't see a downside to this, per se. I do think that spending too much time focusing on mechanics at the expense of scumhunting is a danger in this set-up (I'm pleasantly surprised that people'd already started moving into scumhunting when I got here).

Agreed, which is kinda why I want us to just get the card values out, set our card, and move on.

In that spirit, I am holding:

10 of Hearts
King of Spades
5 of Spades

So I'm well set up to win a match, depending on what ASU has in his hand.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads