Main Event Mafia: Game Thread (GAME OVER N3)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Main Event Mafia: Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 13 Feb 2018, 05:43

@Telleo,

Are you operating on the assumption that sjg11's victory condition is mutually exclusive to the town victory condition? That could be the case (although if it is it seems like an extremely decision for sjg11 to out and tell us his target [obligatory disclaimer that he could be lying about his target, or about his victory condition, or even about being third party]) but nothing in the rules suggests it has to be.
UpsideDownChuck

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby asudevil » 13 Feb 2018, 05:47

UpsideDownChuck wrote:@Telleo,

Are you operating on the assumption that sjg11's victory condition is mutually exclusive to the town victory condition? That could be the case (although if it is it seems like an extremely decision for sjg11 to out and tell us his target [obligatory disclaimer that he could be lying about his target, or about his victory condition, or even about being third party]) but nothing in the rules suggests it has to be.

I agree with this. I would imagine his isn't mutually exclusive. Otherwise broadcasting it like that would break the rule of "play to your win condition"
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby kimpossible » 13 Feb 2018, 05:51

kimbyrle wrote:And this is assuming you're even the person he needs deadified. Which also confuses me: why is he guessing at who his grudge is against? Shouldn't he, like, know his own win condition? This smells funny.

Oh, ignore this part of my earlier post. I misinterpreted what sjg meant when he said he assumed the target was based on the answers to his relationship questions and it's Telleo. I took that as "I assume it's Telleo." On re-read, I realize the assumption was that it had to do with the relationship questions.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby kimpossible » 13 Feb 2018, 05:53

asudevil wrote:Im here...Im awesome. Im also going to bed. But tomorrow at work all my students are testing so I can troll most of the day pretty hard.

Also, I don't mind saying cards, but I don't know about others. I mean if people are doing big shots and stuff.

As for the night kill...it almost seems like they can attack/injure you at night...which probably hurts your match...and your voting...and then makes it more dangerous for you to do a big shot.

Whether another attack would eliminate someone at night...I don't know.

I think there's a general sentiment right now that we should not be doing Big Shots.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby RedSun » 13 Feb 2018, 06:00

Hey guys so first thing:

I agree with card revealing:
I have a Queen, a 2 and a 2

2nd I feel like a lynch of sjg is too easy. If he were scum he'd probably claim town imo and not bother us with this 3rd party stuff. Still if sjg is 3rd party and intends to work for the town I feel like he should be transparent is all parts of his role so the town can be aware with what they are sparing and how to best utilize it.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)

Postby JoeHoya06 » 13 Feb 2018, 06:12

UpsideDownChuck wrote:Since it protects against the NK, if a townread develops for one of the more experienced players who is more likely to be NKed I might throw it over to them. All of this with the obvious preface that at least for now I have no control over any of that.

Am I the only one who thinks that:

The Rules wrote:There may be mechanics that allow for players to be killed by night action. The existence of this rule does not confirm the presence of such mechanics. A traditional guaranteed night kill is specifically not provided to the Heels, but other methods of a kill may be available to them.

means that "injury" is NOT the only possible venue for the heels to kill overnight? The Champion is protected from elimination via injury, but there's nothing in there that says that any other potential night action kill wouldn't take out the champ.
We're the builders of their destiny.

Gold Classicist, Mafia forum interloper
JoeHoya06
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1094
All-game rating: 1151

Postby JoeHoya06 » 13 Feb 2018, 06:18

RedSun wrote: I feel like a lynch of sjg is too easy. If he were scum he'd probably claim town imo and not bother us with this 3rd party stuff. Still if sjg is 3rd party and intends to work for the town I feel like he should be transparent is all parts of his role so the town can be aware with what they are sparing and how to best utilize it.

Hi RedSun. Don't get mad at me for wondering where you've been all this time. :)

As Telleo already pointed out, third party isn't town. Yes, his win condition might not be mutually exclusive from the town's, and he may choose to work with us, but if you're a face and he's telling the truth, then his win condition possibly – likely, if you consider that there are more of us than them – requires one of your teammates to be eliminated. I think this is suboptimal.

If we don't have a strong scumread, what's wrong with the "already-claiming-non-town" lynch, even if it seems "easy?"
We're the builders of their destiny.

Gold Classicist, Mafia forum interloper
JoeHoya06
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1094
All-game rating: 1151

Postby Nanook » 13 Feb 2018, 06:19

In thread and catching up. It's been a long day so this'll be a bit shorter winded than usual.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Nanook » 13 Feb 2018, 06:36

What the fuck guys. I hate hate HATE that people just went right ahead with the card reveals. I mean, I think it's a good idea to reveal our cards, but I fucking hate the lack of town discipline here. It twinges me a little, and makes me think it's possible that scum are behind this. I have no idea why that would help scum, but...I mean, there are hidden rules, and it seems possible there's a hidden NK mechanic...so yeah, I'm really not happy at the way reveals went down.

Now I'm gonna go through some posts I want to cover, but I wanted to get my irritation out there right off the bat.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby RedSun » 13 Feb 2018, 06:48

JoeHoya06 wrote:
UpsideDownChuck wrote:Since it protects against the NK, if a townread develops for one of the more experienced players who is more likely to be NKed I might throw it over to them. All of this with the obvious preface that at least for now I have no control over any of that.

Am I the only one who thinks that:

The Rules wrote:There may be mechanics that allow for players to be killed by night action. The existence of this rule does not confirm the presence of such mechanics. A traditional guaranteed night kill is specifically not provided to the Heels, but other methods of a kill may be available to them.

means that "injury" is NOT the only possible venue for the heels to kill overnight? The Champion is protected from elimination via injury, but there's nothing in there that says that any other potential night action kill wouldn't take out the champ.

No I thought that myself as well.
Also I don't think we should assume injury to sjg is flat out two-night kill instead of one-night kill. The hidden mechanics in this game may mean there are additional rules behind his injury.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads