Main Event Mafia: Game Thread (GAME OVER N3)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Main Event Mafia: Game Thread (Night 0)

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 11 Feb 2018, 00:09

Cut to:

The ring, I guess. The lights dim, then some lasers go on, green lasers in fact. The keyboard intro to Bonnie Tyler's "I Need a Hero" swells. The crowd goes wild. 'Can it be?' asks the announcer 'is that Upside-Down Chuck's music'. The song gets to the singing part, and the crowd is giddy in anticipation of there mustachioed hero entering the ring. How long will he draw out his entrance. Eventually the song gets to the chorus, and some fireworks go off, and still he hasn't entered, at this point the crowd is getting impatient.

Cut to:

Chuck's dressing room. He is asleep. There is a dartboard with an image of dwiltseredu on it, and pointy darts sticking out of his face. His collection of mustache oils are stacked near the mirror. Suddenly he pops awake. "Oh fuck" he thinks, "I feel like I'm supposed to be somewhere right now". At that moment his butler comes in, "Mr. Swole" he begins, "your presence is required in the main event ring". "Ah very good, thanks Randy" (Randy is the name of his butler if you didn't catch that) Chuck replies. Chuck does his super fast morning routine consisting of tossing an entire carton of eggs, shell and all, down his gullet, before taking a 30 second shower. Chuck hops out of the shower an onto his motorcycle, which takes off towards the ring.

Cut to:

The ring. The song is winding down to the end. I believe that is called 'the bridge'. The crowd is sad and confused. Suddenly the rumble of an engine becomes audible over the dulcet tones of Bonnie Tyler. Could it be? Yes, it is upside down chuck. He jumps his motorcycle onto the ring, does some donuts, and then jumps off and dances around the ring. The crowd gasps and goes silent. People faint. 'Wow' thinks upside down chuck, 'I've still got it'. It is at that moment that Chuck realizes something very important was missing from his super fast morning routine. Specifically he never got dressed, and as such is dancing around the ring naked. How did he not notice this while riding a motorcycle you ask? Let's not think too much on that one. The other wrestlers who got here on time (like a bunch of chumps) are clearly very intimidated and that's what's important. Cool cool.

OOC:

I have read that there are rules. I am making my way through them now, one randomly chosen paragraph at a time.
UpsideDownChuck

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Nanook » 11 Feb 2018, 09:02

The lights in the arena go completely dark, covering the crowd in a deep, heavy blackness. Gradually a light starts to emanate from the ring, slowly bathing it in cold blue light. As the light grows, it reveals a parka-clad figure sitting cross legged in the center of the stage. Without standing, the figure pulls a microphone from his hide boot, and begins to address the crowd in an eminently reasonable and measured tone.

"Of all the shtick we've seen so far tonight, only one schmuck's shtick has stuck out as needing to be struck from the record. I'm looking at you, JOE. Or I would be, if I could see you behind all the impurities clouding your aura. You should really consider purifying yourself in the waters of lake Minnetonka. It can do wonders, even for a pretentious soul such as yourself."

The figure pauses in contemplation, staring into the distance as if lost in memory, while the crowd murmurs nervously and looks askance at their neighbors. After a lengthy pause, the figure resumes speaking.

"Come and face me JOE, if you dare to. Lake Minnetonka is a long ways away, but I shall do my best to purify your soul the old fashioned way nonetheless, through the use of my fisticuffs. So come and face me if you are ready to find your inner truth, JOE--not even Florida can hide you from this cold. Your pursuit of the championship is about to be frozen in its tracks."

The light fades again, as the crown mutters and shuffles, unsure of what to make of the unorthodox trash talk. As the light raises again, the stage is empty save for one woolen mitten laying on the ground, with a note saying "Someone slap JOE with this and tell him it's from me, please. XOXO, NanookTheIcyVeined" hastily scrawled and pinned to it.

OOC

Sjg, I think your idea looks good, for the first couple days at least. I'd say we probably should consider tilting the scales some towards townreads at some point later in the game (with the important and obvious caveat that this only applies if we have a strong townread!), but for the first couple days, it is absolutely good to keep voting power spread out. It's too risky to not do so I think, cause it could potentially let scum build up a bunch of voting power early, and that's not a good risk to take based on D1 reads. In that same vein, we should probably also coordinate to at least some extent who is fighting who a day in advance, by using the day to coordinate what challenges will be issued and accepted via promo at night, to help us keep voting power spread out. It shouldn't be *that* complicated to be able to work something out to keep things at least close to even, I think.

Agreed on no big shots. I don't see the logic of there definitely not being a NK though--the rules are ambiguous on it, no? And the fact that Telleo's already revealed one hidden rule, suggests that there very possibly could be a NK functionality that we're not aware of. I certainly would not wager on it not existing, at the very least.

I leave you all until D1 with this nugget, a RL still of me taking aim at all ya'll:
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 11 Feb 2018, 17:16

Lights swirl lasers fire music swells.

I shake my head in disbelief.

Telleo, you are so dumb. I was going to be able to educate you in all the things that you never learned. But you ran from my match the same as I ran from your mom's bed. After all all the ladies want me and are "hot for teacher". Now you will never be able to graduate to the big leagues. You won your title as a mercy because we felt bad for your inability to do basic moves. Now, you run from a real challenger to another person who barely knows that 2 + 2 is 4 and thinks that a fatal 4 way is the way to go. Doesn't he know how much that hurts his odds of winning?

So now I have nothing to do but to accept Kimberlye's challenge.

Kimberlye, yes you helped me break into this job but I only ever took your help because of the hot little school girl outfit you wore in our first matches. Ask our friendly GM, that was literally the answer I gave to the question.

So I accept your challenge.

Music rises as the graduation song plays.

OOC-

I agree we should try to get as many losers as possible right now and we should be trying to minimize vote irregularities. I think that we need to make sure that townies don't get hurt doing big shots.

Telleo I love the Knight's tale entrance. Im just not creative enough as you guys are do to that kind of stuff. But I tried.

See you in the AM.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Zoomzip » 12 Feb 2018, 16:32

Some rule clarifications:
1) If a challenge is unaddressed by a competitor, it is considered accepted by default.
2) The "redraw" of tokens that occurs at the start of the day phase means drawing back tokens that have been used in the course of the previous phases. As no tokens are being used Night 0, there will be no redraw at the start of Day, but there would be a redraw at the start of Day 2 that would restore tokens used in the previous day's matches.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby Zoomzip » 12 Feb 2018, 22:33

CUT TO:

Ringside correspondent Renee deLeon is chasing after SJG11. As she catches up with him, you can faintly hear muttering under his breath "one-nil, one-nil... could life get any worse?"

"SJG11, can we have a moment?"

SJG11 notices her for the first time. "Of course Renee."

"SJG11, Telleo has accepted your challenge for the PMWL World Title tomorrow at Sunday Night Stab in Pittsburgh. Do you think you are ready for this? Would you say you have the ability to put the spurs to your offense and drive it to a higher gear, or do you think your arsenal is primarily impotent?"

SJG11 gives her a dead look for moment. "Renee, let me tell you something. I am ready. I have trained. And right now, there's nothing that can stop me from fulfilling my dreams of becoming the PMWL Champion. You might say... I've been gunning for it." A winning smile accompanies this last comment as he stares into the camera, and the suddenly there is a violent collision as SJG11 is suddenly knocked aside.

A MASKED FIGURE executes a cross body block knocking SJG11 to the concrete, then repeatedly kicks SJG11 around the head and torso. Renee calls for help and scampers away while the MASKED FIGURE continues a beat down. Cries are heard "Security! Security!" Black polo shirted security staff start to appear, and the MASKED FIGURE knocks them aside, running out of the building faster than the camera man can keep up with.

Zoomzip

Main Event Mafia: Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby Zoomzip » 12 Feb 2018, 23:48

"Welcome fans, to
SUNDAY NIGHT STAB!

Telleo has the title, and everyone wants it, but only SJG11 gets the opportunity. But after the horrendous assault he suffered backstage, can he be ready for this shot?"

"But that's not all Bob! We got Kimbyrle and ASUDevil renewing hostilities and kicking their feud into high gear!"

"All of this is coming to play, live, from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania!"
SUNDAY STAB CARD FOR DAY ONE

Undercard
(Power Tokens Due No Later than Checkpoint One, approx 24 hours into Day One)
RedSun v. Dwiltze1114 v. Nanooktheeskimo Triple Threat Match
UpsideDownChuck v. JoeHoya06

Uppercard
(Power Tokens Due No Later than Checkpoint Two, approximately 48 hours into Day One)
ASUDevil v. Kimbyrle
SJG11 v. Telleo (c.) for PMWL WORLD TITLE GRUDGE MATCH

IT IS NOW DAY ONE
DAY ONE ENDS APPROXIMATELY 1800 EASTERN US, 1500 PACIFIC US, 2300 LONDON UK 15 FEB 2018
GO.

Zoomzip

Re: Main Event Mafia: Game Thread (Day 1)

Postby kimpossible » 12 Feb 2018, 23:55

Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Nanook » 13 Feb 2018, 00:04

kimbyrle wrote:While I'm still pulling together my starting thoughts for D1, here's your handy dandy ISO links, which I'm annoyed with myself for not realizing I could put into my N0 promo and get onto page 1:

Main Roster:
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... thor=sjg11
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... ktheeskimo
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... r=asudevil
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... r=kimbyrle
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... =JoeHoya06
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... wiltse1114
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... hor=Telleo
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... eDownChuck
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... hor=RedSun

Reserves:
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... r=Keirador
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... r=condude1

GM Posts:
http://playdiplomacy.com/forum/search.p ... or=Zoomzip

Since you've apparently inherited shadow's ISO post duties, you also inherit this:

ALL-TOO-HELPFUL TOWNIE ALERT, GET THE PITCHFORKS!

;)

How do people feel about card reveals? If we're going to be pre-determining who wins what matches, we need to get organized pronto, because we've only got 24 hours until the first tokens are due.

I've got class now, but I'll be back tonight. Let's get this party started!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby kimpossible » 13 Feb 2018, 00:10

nanooktheeskimo wrote:

Since you've apparently inherited shadow's ISO post duties, you also inherit this:

ALL-TOO-HELPFUL TOWNIE ALERT, GET THE PITCHFORKS!

;)

How do people feel about card reveals? If we're going to be pre-determining who wins what matches, we need to get organized pronto, because we've only got 24 hours until the first tokens are due.

I've got class now, but I'll be back tonight. Let's get this party started!

Shaaaaaadow! Nanook is being mean to me!

I am super pro card reveals. We should be gaming the match outcomes.

ZZ confirmed for me that he will give preferences to player choices in matches, but that every wrestler will get scheduled for something each day. Further, if we arrange our own lineup to make sure everyone is involved in at least one match, we won't get any random assignments. That seems like a good idea. And can we arrange things in some kind of circular fashion so we can maximize our "win one / lose one" opportunities each day? That's even better than "win one day, lose the next," I think.

Right now I'm still struggling to entirely understand the special match types. Flavor-wise, Kim wants to throw someone off the top of Hell in a Cell to plummet 16 feet through an announcer's table. Strategy-wise, I'm not sure where the value in arranging these might be. Maybe to set up a match at some point where we can guarantee nobody will intentionally disqualify themselves? Prevent interference by scumsters?

For my relationships, I picked sjg because I'm gonna milk that "I'm annoyed about Fable" thing for as long as it continues to amuse me; ASUdevil because he has that whole "uncanny intuition" thing going on, so "He's so overrated!" seemed like a flavorful choice; and UDC because he's a good player and seemed like a legit choice for someone to look up to.

I'm not especially bothered by sjg's "no factional night kill" statement because the rules straight-up say "A traditional guaranteed night kill is specifically not provided to the Heels." It's followed by "other methods of a kill may be available to them," but to me that feels like a townie oversight, and if anything just suggests he has no such ability.

Unless, of course, he does, and wants us to think he doesn't. *passes the wine glass*
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 13 Feb 2018, 00:17

And as a general FYI for all:

I'm endeavoring to take a much more lighthearted approach to this game than I usually do -- it's largely based on a tabletop RPG that I love, and I'm playing a character who is decidedly NOT ME, which makes it easier to view it all as just a game. And after being in the Normal Mafia F3, I'm going to enjoy a game that's more fun than stress.

Don't get me wrong, I want to win. But this new gameplay concept I'm calling "Kim Not Giving Herself An Ulcer" seems worth exploring. So, thinking hard about game strategy wasn't really at the forefront of my brain during N0. Setting up a fun relationship-web-based match seemed more entertaining.

Also, since there is one person amongst this player set who I haven't played with before, I am female and prefer she / her / hers. Since my screenname is spelled kinda wonky (though dude, it's just the e and y in "kimberly" swapped...) Kim is a recognized nickname. But don't use K, or Keirador will break into the active roster to defend his claim on it.
kimpossible

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads