Mafia CLXVIII: Normal Mafia - D4

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Mafia CLXVIII: Normal Mafia - D1

Postby ExiledAtHome » 14 Jan 2018, 02:45

Zoomzip wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:And I think I'm missing a leap with the EAH is probably town. Why is EAH probably town? Can you spell that out a little better for me, por favor?

I could, and I have reasoning, but I'd rather work it with you for a bit, because ultimately reads > mechanics, no? And that's more interesting (as is the fact that you are not making this read).

What is unique about EAH that might indicate he's not scum (or if he is, he is gutsy risk taking scum)?

I'm also a little puzzled by this. I don't see anything in my comments or activity that should be getting me townread this early.

I'm willing to see where you're going with this, as it seems you have an inter-player exercise you're pursuing, but generally, I'm leery of players jumping on extremely early townreads.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Nanook » 14 Jan 2018, 02:45

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
Zoomzip wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:And I think I'm missing a leap with the EAH is probably town. Why is EAH probably town? Can you spell that out a little better for me, por favor?

I could, and I have reasoning, but I'd rather work it with you for a bit, because ultimately reads > mechanics, no? And that's more interesting (as is the fact that you are not making this read).

What is unique about EAH that might indicate he's not scum (or if he is, he is gutsy risk taking scum)?

What, cause he posted early in the thread? I guess that could be something...but mostly it looks NAI to me.

Or...is it the voting for the doc's protect thing? I kinda don't see that as AI...on the face of it, it's more townie...but moderately ballsy scum could also put that out there as an "I don't think it's a good idea just tossing it out there" kinda thing and let people run with it if they want. I dunno, it looks like a fairly low risk scum play, or a townie talking off the cuff. Washes out as NAI for me, I think.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Nanook » 14 Jan 2018, 02:47

Zoomzip wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:What, cause he posted early in the thread? I guess that could be something...but mostly it looks NAI to me.

He posted before the GM opened the thread. And supposedly wasn't sure if he was right or not. Given the rules state:

The Rules wrote:The days and nights continue until the GM posts otherwise.

So, if EAH is scum, two things occurred: EAH decided to ask the thread instead of his scum chums whether it was ok to post and EAH decided it was cool to risk a modkill to post about posting. I suppose that's possible.

Or...

EAH is a enthusiastic but potentially clueless townie.

I lean to the latter.

PPE @Parabellum: Yeah, I have EAH as more likely than not to be town.

Eh. Still reads as NAI to me, but I see where your head is, and it makes some sense.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Re: Mafia CLXVIII: Normal Mafia - N0

Postby kimpossible » 14 Jan 2018, 02:48

ExiledAtHome wrote:My gut tells me it's probably much better to just have the doctor use his best judgment, and thereby not telegraph to scum who to avoid on NKs, but I haven't given this a ton of thought. Anyone have a rebuttal to that thought process?

I agree with this. The doctor is only effective if he can guess who scum are going to NK; voting a target for him removes any ability to do that.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Parabellum » 14 Jan 2018, 02:48

Zoomzip wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:What, cause he posted early in the thread? I guess that could be something...but mostly it looks NAI to me.

He posted before the GM opened the thread. And supposedly wasn't sure if he was right or not. Given the rules state:

So, if EAH is scum, two things occurred: EAH decided to ask the thread instead of his scum chums whether it was ok to post and EAH decided it was cool to risk a modkill to post about posting. I suppose that's possible.

Or...

I lean to the latter.

I disagree. I think it's NAI. Why would Telleo modkill him for posting at the time that she had designated for day-start? Him posting in-thread is in no way game-breaking or cheating, whether it's a good or bad interpretation of the rules.

However, you do have a point that if he were scum, he might message his buddy instead of asking in-thread.

Still, I don't think it's very high-risk (irt modkill). Could definitely see scum posting. I considered posting, too, since Telleo had already designated a start-time. I'm not sure that what he did is really against the rules, so it's NAI.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Standard rating: (990)
All-game rating: (978)

Postby kimpossible » 14 Jan 2018, 02:49

Zoomzip wrote:
ExiledAtHome wrote:Sort of smacks of performance, knowing I wasn't actually suggesting immunity voting, and yet really wanting everyone to see your reaction to my first sentence anyway.

Cool, early read, performative = deceptive = scummy. You should probably vote that.

Yep, this is the ZZ I remember from Men At Arms. :roll:
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Temporary Custodian Resentful Keeper of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Nanook » 14 Jan 2018, 02:50

Zoomzip wrote:
ExiledAtHome wrote:Sort of smacks of performance, knowing I wasn't actually suggesting immunity voting, and yet really wanting everyone to see your reaction to my first sentence anyway.

Cool, early read, performative = deceptive = scummy. You should probably vote that.

It's been a bit since we played. Are you back to your vote early vote often ways? I seem to recall you were trying a new approach, but perhaps it didn't stick.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby ExiledAtHome » 14 Jan 2018, 02:52

Zoomzip wrote:

Or...

I lean to the latter.

Hah, ok, clueless townie? Thanks, bud! The rules state that day/night phases continue until GM posts otherwise. It doesn't say anything about day starts. The thread was unlocked and Telleo said the day would start at 12pm PST, so it seemed pretty reasonable to start posting.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)

Postby Zoomzip » 14 Jan 2018, 02:53

nanooktheeskimo wrote:It's been a bit since we played. Are you back to your vote early vote often ways? I seem to recall you were trying a new approach, but perhaps it didn't stick.

Not voting early sucked. I ended up forgetting to vote at all in D1. I want to vote. Trying to decide between you and Parabellum right now.

You are at least somewhat engaging and poking at me with a stick. Parabellum is just toodling around going "Sure, he probably would have checked with his scum chums, but it is probably NAI." Kim is potentially making a read on me. SJG is NAI at this point.

Hmmmmm...

Parabellum
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby Parabellum » 14 Jan 2018, 02:55

ExiledAtHome wrote:
Zoomzip wrote:

Or...

I lean to the latter.

Hah, ok, clueless townie? Thanks, bud! The rules state that day/night phases continue until GM posts otherwise. It doesn't say anything about day starts. The thread was unlocked and Telleo said the day would start at 12pm PST, so it seemed pretty reasonable to start posting.

That's the point. N0 is a night. N0 continues until otherwise notified by Telleo. Ergo, you shouldn't have started posting.

ZZ's point is that scum wouldn't have risked posting, since they were risking a modkill. I disagree.

@ZZ: :D One post in and I'm getting scum-read already!?!?
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Standard rating: (990)
All-game rating: (978)

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads