Mafia CLXV: Galaxy Quest Mafia D1

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Mafia CLXV: Galaxy Quest Mafia D1

Postby Nanook » 29 Oct 2017, 23:21

shadowface wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Unless you just think I'm a complete idiot, but idiot scum don't generally get to LYLO from a 6:1 game state.

Or do they? :twisted:

You're many things, including a no good tricksy hobbitsen, but you're not an idiot.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby shadowface » 29 Oct 2017, 23:51

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
Iggy wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Iggy. Why is your vote still on me? Move it now please, in case it matters.

shadowface

Probably doesn't matter. Assumed it was over. Just in case.

On the contrary, I'd be kind of surprised if it wasn't accepted. General rule of thumb is that the day isn't over until the GM says it is. I don't see how this is any different than overtime when the GM is late to a normal deadline. Basically what I'm saying is, it might matter, and I'm going to be pretty pissy if it doesn't.

Fun facts: since you joined the mafia forum, I've played in every game here and haven't won one of them. I've lost every LYLO I've been part of before this one, including once to a coin toss. I had to be the single towniest player of everyone today in order to win this, even though my scumchum outed herself and practically cleared three townies in the process. 434 pages and I didn't slip up once. I also changed my name to shadowface for towncred. I'm not a brilliant player, but I do put a disproportionate amount of effort into these games for how much a win. That's life.

So yeah, I don't think you have any right to whine if Telleo officiates this like End Day means something. You win some and you lose some, but I think I've lost enough mafia in the last year to be allowed to finally win one game and not feel like it was some scam. It wasn't.

It was a good game either way, and I hope you'll accept that as well.
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)

Postby Nanook » 30 Oct 2017, 00:32

shadowface wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:
Iggy wrote:On the contrary, I'd be kind of surprised if it wasn't accepted. General rule of thumb is that the day isn't over until the GM says it is. I don't see how this is any different than overtime when the GM is late to a normal deadline. Basically what I'm saying is, it might matter, and I'm going to be pretty pissy if it doesn't.

Fun facts: since you joined the mafia forum, I've played in every game here and haven't won one of them. I've lost every LYLO I've been part of before this one, including once to a coin toss. I had to be the single towniest player of everyone today in order to win this, even though my scumchum outed herself and practically cleared three townies in the process. 434 pages and I didn't slip up once. I also changed my name to shadowface for towncred. I'm not a brilliant player, but I do put a disproportionate amount of effort into these games for how much a win. That's life.

So yeah, I don't think you have any right to whine if Telleo officiates this like End Day means something. You win some and you lose some, but I think I've lost enough mafia in the last year to be allowed to finally win one game and not feel like it was some scam. It wasn't.

It was a good game either way, and I hope you'll accept that as well.

Don't get me wrong, you played a hell of a game and I do not in any way begrudge you a win if that's how it shakes out. You certainly earned it. I was being genuine when I said I don't mind losing to you--you've played great, and you had me fooled all the way until today.

I will be frustrated if it's adjudicated with End Day as the hard deadline instead of when the GM comes on to end day, but that's not because I feel your win would be cheap--it's because it seems inconsistent to me to do it that way but allow overtime. It seems to me that it should work the same way for both.

But again, that is in no way saying your win was cheap or that I begrudge you specifically the win. You definitely earned it, you played a fantastic game.

(I do think I have *some* right to whine, I did have to sit through 434 pages where I kept getting scumread for mostly bullshit reasons that I still don't understand ;) )

I should've flipped to you as soon as you made the post saying Iggy wasn't trying to police my vote. That's when I knew, but I had to be sure so I kept pushing Iggy. Should've trusted my gut there instead. It's a testament to how well you played, cause if you hadn't then I wouldn't have hesitated and you're probably losing.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Iggy » 30 Oct 2017, 00:49

she didn't particularly play well, imo. I had her nailed correctly on d1, imo. she won here by lurking and letting us do ourselves in. it wasn't bad play but there wasn't anything in particular shadow "did" to look good. I still kept saying she looked wolfy if I just looked at her. It was only the condude vote that had any cred and she didn't really do anything with that.

man, so annoyed I let others talk me off my read. I woudln't have done that if I knew you guys better. I kept going back to that and kept going back to it and everyone here kept calling me wolfy for it. so freaking annoyed. she didn't do antying after that to "look good". it was everyone saying she was good that changed my mind. to me, she just kept drifting off into the background by "being to busy".

parabellum derails the condude lynch to sjg ( I approved but still...)... smith helped condude derail the nanook/condude lynch later. udc derailed the condude/shadow lynch at the time limit. nanook and I drove the bus off the cliff the last day here and somewhat yesterday. town did plenty to lose this game but scum didnt' really do much to win other than maybe bus condude which kind of muddied the waters for a lot of you.

so annoyed right now. absolutely disgusted with myself.
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)

Postby Nanook » 30 Oct 2017, 00:54

She got to LYLO and won. Sure you had her as a scumread most of the game, but you also didn't do much to convince others of that case and ended up on me over her. Sometimes playing scum well means driving the game, and sometimes it means letting the town shoot themselves in the dick, repeatedly.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Iggy » 30 Oct 2017, 01:12

nanooktheeskimo wrote:She got to LYLO and won. Sure you had her as a scumread most of the game, but you also didn't do much to convince others of that case and ended up on me over her. Sometimes playing scum well means driving the game, and sometimes it means letting the town shoot themselves in the dick, repeatedly.

That is absolute bullshit. As is the idea that you were just pushing my buttons to see what my reaction would be. There were 600 posts by me for you to check my sincerity. She correctly lurked her way to victory but didn't "play" great. As a matter of fact the only thing she did great of "not play" and let all of you clear,her for bullshit reasons and then ride your coattails to victory.

At this point I'm going to shut up before I say something I regret. This is seriously about as pissed at a game as I have been in a long time and it has nothing to do with the ruleset. It was challenging but fine. The play of the town may be more frustrating than the fact the scum did nothing with their options to fool us.
Iggy

Postby Nanook » 30 Oct 2017, 01:23

Iggy wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:She got to LYLO and won. Sure you had her as a scumread most of the game, but you also didn't do much to convince others of that case and ended up on me over her. Sometimes playing scum well means driving the game, and sometimes it means letting the town shoot themselves in the dick, repeatedly.

That is absolute bullshit. As is the idea that you were just pushing my buttons to see what my reaction would be. There were 600 posts by me for you to check my sincerity. She correctly lurked her way to victory but didn't "play" great. As a matter of fact the only thing she did great of "not play" and let all of you clear,her for bullshit reasons and then ride your coattails to victory.

At this point I'm going to shut up before I say something I regret. This is seriously about as pissed at a game as I have been in a long time and it has nothing to do with the ruleset. It was challenging but fine. The play of the town may be more frustrating than the fact the scum did nothing with their options to fool us.

Now who's getting angry :lol:

Seriously though, we both screwed the pooch. I should've switched to shadow sooner instead of tunneling on you, and you shouldn't have read my LYLO play as scummy (seriously, I'd quit playing if that was the best LYLO scum game I could muster).

There were definitely issues with the town play, though I suspect that we have different problems with it. It's uncalled for to shit on the town and the scum though (basically everyone but yourself, in other words). We get it, most of us are frustrated for one reason or another with the game, that doesn't give you license to take a steaming crap over everything. That's just being a sore loser. You didn't exactly play a perfect game yourself, so maybe get off that high horse for a bit and find a way to express that frustration without belittling literally every single player besides yourself in the game.

Now I'm out until the proper AAR, probably will chime in to it tomorrow.

In case the end day votes do work like overtime and can therefore be reversed:

End Day
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby shadowface » 30 Oct 2017, 01:26

Iggy wrote:

I wouldn't really say I lurked. It wasn't my most active game but that was, like I said in game, purely RL. And when you guys both voted End Day, I was doing homework and just keeping an eye on things - not intentionally lurking.

You're entitled to whatever opinion you want about my play, though. I just do the best I can.

Iggy wrote:At this point I'm going to shut up before I say something I regret. This is seriously about as pissed at a game as I have been in a long time and it has nothing to do with the ruleset. It was challenging but fine. The play of the town may be more frustrating than the fact the scum did nothing with their options to fool us.

Seriously don't beat yourself up Iggy. As playdip towns go this one was not particularly dysfunctional- just check out Push/Pull if you want to see a screwed up town. It will make you feel absolutely amazing about this game's town.

As for the scum not doing anything with kim's power to fool you - you do realize kool aid was a VERY legit threat, right? With the number of freaking town clears hanging around it was too risky to O13. And as for lying - why would kim have lied about condude's flip? That made me look great. Don't mistake a lack of shenanigans for a lack of thought.
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
shadowface

Postby shadowface » 30 Oct 2017, 01:29

This is a stupid place to be AARing. The three of us are in the genocidal stage of cabin fever. Come on Telleo, get in here. :)
shadowface

Postby Iggy » 30 Oct 2017, 01:36

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
Iggy wrote:

Now who's getting angry :lol:

Seriously though, we both screwed the pooch. I should've switched to shadow sooner instead of tunneling on you, and you shouldn't have read my LYLO play as scummy (seriously, I'd quit playing if that was the best LYLO scum game I could muster).

There were definitely issues with the town play, though I suspect that we have different problems with it. It's uncalled for to shit on the town and the scum though (basically everyone but yourself, in other words). We get it, most of us are frustrated for one reason or another with the game, that doesn't give you license to take a steaming crap over everything. That's just being a sore loser. You didn't exactly play a perfect game yourself, so maybe get off that high horse for a bit and find a way to express that frustration without belittling literally every single player besides yourself in the game.

Now I'm out until the proper AAR, probably will chime in to it tomorrow.

In case the end day votes do work like overtime and can therefore be reversed:

End Day

You realize that I am part of town and I'm dumping on myself as much as anyone, right? I fully accept my role in this disaster. Only hope is that the end day stuff didn't really happen and shadow crapped the bed by coming out too soon. Not sure how you guys do that. Never played with that kind of rule before.
Iggy

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads