Mafia CLXIV: Second Chance Mafia Day 4

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Second Chance Mafia Night 0

Postby sjg11 » 08 Sep 2017, 22:25

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
sjg11 wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:

Regarding ZZ and SJG's interaction. I think that I like ZZ more out of it--feels a little disingenuous on the part of SJG, trying to manufacture a "scumslip." I don't feel strongly about it, but that would be my impression.

What makes you think I was trying to manufacture a scumslip there? Do you see how I read ZZ's post in a way that made me think he had slipped?

I don't really see how it would be read as a scum slip, which is why I see you as possibly trying to manufacture it. I doubt it's to try and get him killed, because there's no way he's killed for that--I would say that it's more likely you're trying to manufacture it as a way of looking active.

Maybe I'm missing something and it looks worse than I'm giving it credit for?

I mean, here's ZZ's initial post:
Proposed: Until we get 1 scum player lynched, we only lynch from the 2 life pool -- Agree or Disagree?

Like, I read that as ZZ revealing that he had extra information about who was in the 2 life pool right now and was applying that information to today's lynch. In that initial post, ZZ didn't specify a time limit and that's where I got confused, ZZ's clarifications and "Huh, what is sjg on about?" combined with re-evaluation allowed me to figure out what he was ACTUALLY saying.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby sjg11 » 08 Sep 2017, 22:27

Keirador wrote:Sigh. Town again. I guess with this set-up I should be utterly indifferent to being lynched, though, so that's something.

Town lean on Keirador already. Tonal thing, it's that subtle resignation you feel when you're on a long streak as either alignment.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby StarWatcher009 » 08 Sep 2017, 22:35

sjg11 wrote:
StarWatcher009 wrote:Hmm, ZZs main scumtell is something irrelevant to this game.

Does everyone who has played with him a lot before agree that this is one of his most significant scum tells?

Ummm... it is a scumtell that's been used to read him in the past. I have another way which I used to catch ZZ in... it was one of the recent ones, it was the one where I was abroad for most of it. Anyway, I led a last minute lynch on ZZ and I'm interested to see if the tell I've noted there is somewhat correct. I'll expand on that if it becomes relevant to the game, I suspect ZZ may be aware of it already but I want to use it at least once more before I reveal it in an AAR and it becomes defunct.

That was the Completely Normal game right, the one I've played. I followed you on that lynch, and I think I remember why.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1406)

Postby Keirador » 08 Sep 2017, 22:41

sjg11 wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:
sjg11 wrote:What makes you think I was trying to manufacture a scumslip there? Do you see how I read ZZ's post in a way that made me think he had slipped?

I don't really see how it would be read as a scum slip, which is why I see you as possibly trying to manufacture it. I doubt it's to try and get him killed, because there's no way he's killed for that--I would say that it's more likely you're trying to manufacture it as a way of looking active.

Maybe I'm missing something and it looks worse than I'm giving it credit for?

I mean, here's ZZ's initial post:
Proposed: Until we get 1 scum player lynched, we only lynch from the 2 life pool -- Agree or Disagree?

Like, I read that as ZZ revealing that he had extra information about who was in the 2 life pool right now and was applying that information to today's lynch. In that initial post, ZZ didn't specify a time limit and that's where I got confused, ZZ's clarifications and "Huh, what is sjg on about?" combined with re-evaluation allowed me to figure out what he was ACTUALLY saying.

I'm inclined to ignore this business as non-indicative. Of either alignment, close to no thought went into sjg's "read" of ZZ. I mean come on, parsing sjg's claim/accusation here is that he thought ZZ was suggesting we only lynch from the pool of people who are town, and not lynch scum. It doesn't make more sense to say for a scum player. Yes, he's manufacturing activity, but on D1 with a quiet town and no night mechanics to talk about, somebody has to manufacture activity just to get people talking.

Actually, if anything sjg gets a slight townlean from me on this, because if memory serves, manufacturing activity early on to get the ball rolling is something he does often as town, and less so as scum.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Keirador » 08 Sep 2017, 22:45

sjg11 wrote: I have another way which I used to catch ZZ in... it was one of the recent ones, it was the one where I was abroad for most of it. Anyway, I led a last minute lynch on ZZ and I'm interested to see if the tell I've noted there is somewhat correct. I'll expand on that if it becomes relevant to the game, I suspect ZZ may be aware of it already but I want to use it at least once more before I reveal it in an AAR and it becomes defunct.

Unless this is a ploy, I would cite this post as a good example of transparency gone too far, discretion being the better part of valor, etc.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Postby Keirador » 08 Sep 2017, 22:46

sjg11 wrote:
Keirador wrote:Sigh. Town again. I guess with this set-up I should be utterly indifferent to being lynched, though, so that's something.

Town lean on Keirador already. Tonal thing, it's that subtle resignation you feel when you're on a long streak as either alignment.

I know it doesn't make a ton of sense to push back on my own town lean, but typing out the word "sigh" is hardly subtle, and I couldn't exactly come to thread saying "whoopee, my long streak of being town is finally over! hooray!"
Keirador

Postby sjg11 » 08 Sep 2017, 22:48

Keirador wrote:I'm inclined to ignore this business as non-indicative. Of either alignment, close to no thought went into sjg's "read" of ZZ. I mean come on, parsing sjg's claim/accusation here is that he thought ZZ was suggesting we only lynch from the pool of people who are town, and not lynch scum. It doesn't make more sense to say for a scum player. Yes, he's manufacturing activity, but on D1 with a quiet town and no night mechanics to talk about, somebody has to manufacture activity just to get people talking.

Actually, if anything sjg gets a slight townlean from me on this, because if memory serves, manufacturing activity early on to get the ball rolling is something he does often as town, and less so as scum.

Well again I have to emphasise that I wasn't manufacturing activity. However briefly, I genuinely thought I had found a scumtell. It was, at the time, a genuine vote.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 08 Sep 2017, 22:49

Keirador wrote:
sjg11 wrote:

I know it doesn't make a ton of sense to push back on my own town lean, but typing out the word "sigh" is hardly subtle, and I couldn't exactly come to thread saying "whoopee, my long streak of being town is finally over! hooray!"

It's not the word "sigh" specifically. It's just an instincty, tonal thing. Not sure I can really explain it. Just feels genuine. It's more the "indifferent to being lynched" stuff I think. It shows a very Keiradorian town mentality.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Keirador » 08 Sep 2017, 22:50

But you get that it makes no sense, right? Like even if ZZ had been saying what you thought he was saying?
Keirador

Postby sjg11 » 08 Sep 2017, 23:03

Keirador wrote:But you get that it makes no sense, right? Like even if ZZ had been saying what you thought he was saying?

Oh yeah, if I had been thinking about it deeply. I think if you review the situation it's quite clear that I WASN'T thinking deeply at that point. I was in a "vote first and ask questions later" kind of mood.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

PreviousNext