Walking Dead Mafia Game Thread D5

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Walking Dead Mafia Game Thread D5

Postby asudevil » 27 Apr 2017, 14:25

This game is for 8 players. There will be 2 factions. The first faction is humans. The second faction is walkers. The game will start with an 7 : 1 ratio. The humans win when all the walkers are dead. The walkers win when they can control the lynch.

The twist is in the night game. The walkers don’t just kill humans. They turn them into fellow walkers. So on odd nights instead of a night kill, there will be a conversion. On even nights, the walkers will just be feeding on random corpses so there will be no night kill and no conversions. The scum may have other powers in addition to the night kill. So after night one, the town will not know how many scum there are in the game.

Every player will be randomly assigned one of 8 characters. All 8 characters are equally likely to start the game as a walker. The characters are Rick Grimes, Daryl Dixon, Carl Grimes, Eugene Porter, Maggie Greene, Morgan Jones, Michonne, Gabriel Stokes. Walkers will keep whatever powers they had when they were humans.

All questions during the game must be directed to me via PM. If you are requesting a replacement please do this via PM too. If this does not happen I will ignore it. I might not answer it anyway once the game starts. Feel free to ask questions to me in the sign-up thread before Night 0 starts and to engage in friendly banter. Once Night 0 starts please stop discussing stuff in the sign-up thread.

Don’t PM players outside the game to discuss it and do not PM players in the game. Failure to comply by this rule will lead to you being removed from the game, whether you are replaced or modkilled depends on my mood and the severity of the offence with regards to compromising the integrity of the game.

Editing a post in the thread may lead to a replacement or a modkill depending on the severity of the offence. Please use a separate post to correct errors.

Removing a post from the thread may lead to a replacement or a modkill depending on the severity of the offence.

Copying any PM from me into the thread will result in a modkill. Copying game PMs from other players is allowed.

Anyone caught disobeying the spirit of the rules will be removed from the game depending on the severity of the offence

Knowledge of Walking Dead by no means required…but enjoyable.

Anyone playing against their win condition will be immediately removed from the game

If you need to be replaced, PM me and I will sort something out. While you are allowed to post in the thread before the replacement occurs, you are not allowed to discuss your replacement or the reasons behind it in the thread. Don’t even mention it, save the explanations for the AAR. Nobody will think badly of you for replacing out. Depending on the severity of the offence this may lead to a modkill.

This game will run on a 72:24 hour phase with most deadlines ending either at 5am or pm pacific time. I will run speed deadlines on nights if they are requested. I may extend / shorten any deadline as I find necessary for the smooth running of the game.

During the Day the players will vote for who they want to lynch. The player with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched and is permanently removed from the game. Please vote in big / red letters. C4’s vote tabulator will be the official vote collector, so if his didn’t pick it up, you didn’t do it right and it doesn’t count. His tabulator may take a bit of time to update. Any ties will be randomly decided using RANDOM.ORG.

The humans can only communicate in the thread. The walkers will have both day and night chat.

They day will end as closely to on time as I can make it happen. But until I officially STOP DAY…you may continue posting and voting. Once I stop day, I will lock the thread. Please don’t post after I end the day.

When a player dies their faction and character will be revealed. Any power they may have will not.

No lynch is a valid voting option.

I expect at least one period of posting every 24 hours. Please let me know if something happens and you will be away for a bit. I get real life gets busy. Im not unreasonable, just please communicate with me.

I will try to be as active replacing non-participants as I have subs available.

During the night the walkers will decide who to attack (on odd nights). All players will use any powers they have (if they want to)

No player can talk in the thread during the night.

I will be as lenient as I can be about night orders, but I reserve the right to NMR your order if you are dragging on too long and I need to continue the game. Feel free to enter provisional orders if you desire.

Submit all night orders via PM to me.

Game will start shortly after Fable 9 wraps up. Night 0 will be a very short night since there is no reason for anyone to chat.

Signups
condude1
Telleo
Zubb
sjg11
zoomzip
Jack007
Shadowfriend1
Nanooktheeskimo (after the 24th)

Reserves
mhsmith0
gregorv
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Walking Dead Mafia Game Thread N0

Postby asudevil » 27 Apr 2017, 14:26

Roster
condude1
Telleo
Zubb
sjg11
zoomzip
Jack007
Shadowfriend1
Nanooktheeskimo

GAME MAP
Day 2 starts Shadowfriend was eliminated the end of day 1

Day 3 starts Condude was eliminated the end of day 2

Day 4 starts Zubb was eliminated the end of day 3

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby asudevil » 29 Apr 2017, 03:45

Day 1 begins. Day one will end 5/1 7pm Pacific time, 10pm Eastern Time

Link to ISO by author.

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby Nanook » 29 Apr 2017, 03:48

First in! So, what are peoples thoughts on reveals? I don't really know the flavor that well, but is there any chance powers might be related to characters?

Related: should we be revealing powers? I would tend to say no unless there's some really compelling reason to, but generally I would think that's probably more walker-beneficial than town-beneficial.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Nanook » 29 Apr 2017, 03:49

(See ZZ? I learn ;) )
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Zoomzip » 29 Apr 2017, 04:00

Hey Nook:

So, having made the blind question on reveals -- let's talk about why things matter. How does revealing today help or hinder? I have made my analysis-- I am anti reveal D1, but could well be in favor of reveal D2.

More importantly -- TODAY IS THE BEST CHANCE FOR TOWN WIN.

Seriously, vote correctly today and it is game over. After tonight, it gets tougher and tougher. I would like to see us give it our best shot on D1.

Because conversion is scary as hell.

And what I don't need are people who start strong early in a game, then change their behavior later in the game. Because if they do it as town, it gives them all the hand-wavium they need as scum.

Which means...

Telleo

PPE: You do, but develop it. Why is your logic as it is. I am against reveals D1 because it could highlight really good conversion targets for N1, but I am in favor of reveals D2 because there is no conversion again until N3 and because the longer the game goes it gets harder and harder for town, so throw stuff on the table earlier. That's my current thinking -- is it good or bad?
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby Nanook » 29 Apr 2017, 04:00

Just reread the rules, and while it says that characters are assigned randomly, it makes no mention of how powers are assigned that I saw. So, they could be attached to character, or they could be assigned randomly as well. Whatever they are, given that players retain them after being turned, I would guess there's nothing superpowerful (or maybe there are a couple powerful roles to balance each other out?), or the game comes down more to luck than anything else.

Anyways: what are peoples thoughts on how likely powers are to be related to characters, versus independent of characters? I don't really have enough knowledge of the flavor to make any kind of educated guess, but if I had to guess I'd guess they're probably unrelated to the character.

A followup/related thought is: if powers aren't related to the characters by flavor, could they still be attached to the character in assignment? As in, for example: Rick Grimes is a vig. Whoever gets randomly assigned Rick Grimes is assigned to be a vig. Would that make any sense if the powers are unconnected to the flavor? Not sure how much that would help us anyways, just a thought that popped into my head when I was trying to figure out what the chances of character and power being connected are.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Nanook » 29 Apr 2017, 04:17

ZZ wrote:I am against reveals D1 because it could highlight really good conversion targets for N1, but I am in favor of reveals D2 because there is no conversion again until N3 and because the longer the game goes it gets harder and harder for town, so throw stuff on the table earlier. That's my current thinking -- is it good or bad?

I think this is good thinking. I'll admit I hadn't thought it out multi-day, but I'm against revealing D1 because it would make the walker's conversion decision easier. The more information he has, the easier he can make a good decision, right? So if anyone has a power that would be more powerful/useful in walker hands than in town hands, then I don't want the walker to know about it.

But, there's much less risk revealing on D2. There isn't a conversion until N3, which means that we have time to find the walkers before they can put that knowledge to good use. It also could help us coordinate our night game, assuming powers are used during the night. For example, if there's a protect role in the game, that can block a conversion...we'd want them knowing who to protect*. We don't want that information out D1, in my opinion, but I can see that having it out there D2 would be beneficial for us.

*If there is a protect role, they should under no circumstances reveal. Otherwise they'll just get turned into a walker at the first possible opportunity. I think this is one of the rare circumstances where not only is it ok to lie to fellow townies, but you SHOULD lie to fellow townies.

So I think I agree with you on D2 reveals being something to strongly consider. I can still see a bit of downside, in that it gives the walkers more information, but I think it's negated by the positive. Although, countering the information given to the walkers, is that it forces the walkers to give up information if they have powers. That might, depending on the power/s, make it easier to catch them, if one or both of them use their power in a suspicious manner. It creates more accountability, basically.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Nanook » 29 Apr 2017, 04:21

ZZ wrote:And what I don't need are people who start strong early in a game, then change their behavior later in the game. Because if they do it as town, it gives them all the hand-wavium they need as scum.

If we're basing our way too early to be based in evidence votes on who's game is likely to change from start to end without being converted, my vote would have to be:

SJG11

With the caveats that 1) this is based on literally zero evidence, and almost certainly will change once we get farther into the day, and 2) apparently it's always SJG, or so I've been told, so I guess 1 should be ignored and we can just end this right now and have a party to celebrate our victory? Really wasn't fair to SJG to be in a game that starts with one scum, too easy to catch him ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby condude1 » 29 Apr 2017, 04:31

Ok, reveal under no circumstances. They're randomly assigned, so that doesn't really help, and the mafia gets a conversion. Want to see a mafia vig running around? I'd prefer that the walker shoots randomly at our roles, then choosing which role he likes best.

Think about it this way: We reveal today, and mislynch. Tomorrow the mafia converts a vig, say. We mislynch again, vig shoots a cop. We lynch the vig, and someone else is converted.That's a lot of death for this scenario.

If anyone lurks D1, I encourage a vig to shoot them. There is absolutely no reason to lurk the day as townie.

More in a bit.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Next

Return to Game Threads