Fable Mafia 9- Halloween- Day Twelve

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Fable Mafia 9- Halloween- Day Twelve

Postby shadowface » 24 Apr 2017, 17:55

mhsmith0 wrote:I tend to agree with this too. I'd also note that IIRC her participation seems to have pretty drastically dropped off after it was down to one scum, which could reasonably fall into the concept of her putting herself into a "townie" mindset and scumhunting without worrying about being correct early game, and then not being able to keep it up later game when there are no more actual scum to hunt.

Or exam season in a game with infinite phases.
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mhsmith0 » 24 Apr 2017, 17:55

shadowfriend1 wrote:...
The conclusion Justy drew when he read through my posts was that I looked townie. And it didn't change a thing.

Well that's justy, and this is me. If you can convince me it's Conq, then it's 50-50 coin flip to win. If you can't, then it's your loss regardless of your alignment (I suppose if it's actually justy than it's your loss anyway, but that'd be a pretty obnoxious outcome tbh).
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Conq » 24 Apr 2017, 17:56

shadowfriend1 wrote:
Conq wrote:But I think the best indicator of my "townness" here is my push to avoid the lynches of Joe and Telleo/substitute. While those pushes did not succeed, and the Joe push may have been too late, I actually tried hard in both cases to save those folks. The fact that neither push succeeded should not change how one looks at that. I actually felt, towards the second half of this game, that I had a pretty good ability to whip votes. And so when I came on late and was trying to get people to move votes off Joe, in my head I actually thought it was going to happen. If I were scum there, I know I wouldn't have done that. Because if I locked in town reads on people who were going to survive for too long, I would have backed myself into a corner. There wasn't much margin for error at that point for the final mafioso.

You don't think you could have changed your townreads... because that's what you did with me. Also, keeping sketchy people who are almost getting lynched alive is the best thing for the scum, because then they have players who would be easier to mislynch around at LYLO or MYLO. I would argue those who are almost getting lynched are the ones you would want to keep around.

It's true that I changed my read on you. And I could have changed my reads on others, if I were scum. But it would be quite an odd strategy, right? Like, it was definitely swimming upstream to try to prevent folks from lynching Telleo/Substitute (sorry, I forget) and Joe. And even Subotai. Of course I could have fought against those lynches and then changed my read, but I wouldn't have been setting up a very good end game for myself to do that. I would have had a possible end game, but I would have been putting myself in a hole to try to establish some people who I said I thought were very town make it to the end with me.

I think it makes sense for you to think that I am scum if you think that I only half-heartedly worked against the Telleo/Joe/Sub lynches, wanting them to be lynched in the end, and wanting to town cred from their town flips. I think that makes plenty of sense as a scum strategy. I just don't think the thread bears that out. I was trying pretty hard to prevent those lynches, especially of Joe and Subotai. So I think you're earlier argument on me -- that I was insincere and late in my efforts to save Joe, made more logical sense. I just don't think my posts themselves support that line of argument.
Conq
Premium Member

Standard rating: 2410
All-game rating: 2629
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby mhsmith0 » 24 Apr 2017, 17:56

shadowfriend1 wrote:
mhsmith0 wrote:I tend to agree with this too. I'd also note that IIRC her participation seems to have pretty drastically dropped off after it was down to one scum, which could reasonably fall into the concept of her putting herself into a "townie" mindset and scumhunting without worrying about being correct early game, and then not being able to keep it up later game when there are no more actual scum to hunt.

Yeah except that it became one scum against the board back in March, so that one I don't buy. It'd explain your lower activity the last week (maybe 2?) but not your blah-ness post ZZ flip. Or am I wrong to remember it that way?
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Postby shadowface » 24 Apr 2017, 18:04

mhsmith0 wrote:
shadowfriend1 wrote:

Yeah except that it became one scum against the board back in March, so that one I don't buy. It'd explain your lower activity the last week (maybe 2?) but not your blah-ness post ZZ flip. Or am I wrong to remember it that way?

I dunno, I had exams for three weeks and a pile of projects before then. I don't even lurk as scum, so that was just RL.

Anyways, I have to go unfortunately. Conq is by far the most likely scum here. I'm sorry that I can't come up with a better case, but I have to leave now and I feel that would take hours, if not days, given Conq's play and post volume.
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mhsmith0 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:11

FWIW, I'm really sorry if you're town here, but I just think you're likelier than Conq here. If he snowed me, good on him especially for running through a pretty tough slate and actively earning the win. I definitely see the hopelessness in your post just now, which kinda sucks regardless of your alignment :( but I just don't know that it's a villagery despair and not just a "oh well I lost" scum perspective. If I blew it, I apologize.
mhsmith0

Postby mhsmith0 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:18

40 minutes left, looks like the game is ending in a whimper regardless of who is the last scum. Kinda unfortunate, but I'm not sure I really know what could be done about it :(
mhsmith0

Postby mhsmith0 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:32

shadowfriend1 wrote:...
I dunno, I had exams for three weeks and a pile of projects before then. I don't even lurk as scum, so that was just RL.

Anyways, I have to go unfortunately. Conq is by far the most likely scum here. I'm sorry that I can't come up with a better case, but I have to leave now and I feel that would take hours, if not days, given Conq's play and post volume.

Like, I keep looking at this post, and I kinda think it's a bit villagery, but at the same time, I don't think it's nearly enough to actually get me to vote conq. TLDR: I'm going to be really irritated if it's just justy and there was an obnoxious Ethan-driven mechanic that false cleared him.
mhsmith0

Postby mhsmith0 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:49

I guess I should note that scum!shadow's "I'm about about to die" posts in LoT seemed ok, except for the "conf bias or scum" bit on sjg...

viewtopic.php?f=314&t=54398&p=887690#p887690
I sincerely have no idea what you mean by this. I wish I did.

I'm going out in about 10 minutes, and will not be back before EOD. I already posted my thoughts about each player a few pages back, so there's no need to repost that.

My advice for tomorrow would be to look at the least active players, because this game is allowing them to hide with no consequence. Condude, Joehoya, and mhsmith have all been out of the spotlight, so I think if would be wise to examine them further. As for sjg, he's either in confirmation bias or he's scum.

Regardless, thanks for a fun game everyone.
Good luck :)

viewtopic.php?f=314&t=54398&p=887685#p887685
Then your role would be OP and, yes, I would want to block it. Otherwise, if you're town your role is not OP for the town, so it's fine to block as well. Either faction, your role made sense to block.

You were basically claiming to be a role that would be great for the mafia and would be meh for town - that sounds like a dream block target. With that, I don't need to know your faction for certain to know that you're a good person to block.

ESPECIALLY when I could protect you after you made yourself a target if you are town. ESPECIALLY when I had a scumread on you.

It was an action that made sense regardless of your faction, which is confusing you but in reality is just a really good move for a blocker to do. The usual risk for a town blocker is that they will block a townie from performing an important night action. In this case, I would only stop your important night action if you were scum, and by your own account have little impact if you were town.

(of course the one before that was a scummy vote on sjg but I'm just talking about her "well I'm basically dead here anyway" posts)
mhsmith0

Postby mhsmith0 » 24 Apr 2017, 18:51

Ten minutes left, smith all alone... :cry:

(well except for the guests watching, who are either dead, mod, or a playerwho doesn't want to post I guess)
mhsmith0

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads