Mafia CLIV: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia (Town Win)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Jordan767 » 01 Nov 2016, 16:20

I'm fine with the blue preference vote option.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767
 
Posts: 780
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 06:35
Location: Colorado
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Jordan767 » 01 Nov 2016, 16:20

justy wrote:I agree, I'm pro-reveal as well.

I think that UDC and Jordan are mostly against reveal? ZoomZip hasn't yet revealed his stance unless I missed it. Rest of us are pro-reveal or ambiguous.


I'm for reveal. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767
 
Posts: 780
Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 06:35
Location: Colorado
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Zoomzip » 01 Nov 2016, 16:26

@SJG11: Thank you, I am pretty much on board for 90% of what you have done so far. I include your vote on me as part of the 90% I like, and accept the reasons for that vote for what they are. The one thing I object to is your choice in 1990s rap music, but I think even there I understand your reasoning for it.

@HoidoftheNorth: OK, your logic is reasonable for a first time forum mafia player. Now, I see that you sidestepped my opening three questions, but I'm thinking that is either scum avoiding questions or a first time player honestly a bit overwhelmed and admitting it as such. I lean to the latter. So -- what do you think of SJG's vote on me? Also, do you agree with the dogpile/blue vote plan? And do you have any questions for me or anyone else? Dig in.

@Justy: I see where you are coming from, but disagree. If the town was generally smart, and I think they may have been on the whole, there are other ways of testing size. To answer your question, since you have put it out there, I am concerned about townie-on-townie violence, and the only way to deal with that and prevent a complete CF is a reveal. I am pro-reveal.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
User avatar
Zoomzip
 
Posts: 6563
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 05:29
Location: NoVa and The District
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Zoomzip » 01 Nov 2016, 16:30

And to be clear, I should have indicated in the cons of my plan that any attempt to identify people lying about their size through vote counts is lost if we adopt my plan. I weigh that as much less important as preserving the integrity of the lynch.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
User avatar
Zoomzip
 
Posts: 6563
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 05:29
Location: NoVa and The District
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby justy » 01 Nov 2016, 16:40

Jordan767 wrote:
justy wrote:I agree, I'm pro-reveal as well.

I think that UDC and Jordan are mostly against reveal? ZoomZip hasn't yet revealed his stance unless I missed it. Rest of us are pro-reveal or ambiguous.


I'm for reveal. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.


Thanks for clarification. Might also be that I misremembered what I read this morning. In fact, it seems that DJ was against reveals, not you.

So I, ZZ, Sjg, Jordan are pro-reveal.

DJ and UDC are against it.

Harb, Hoido and Happy haven't yet stated their opinions.

I think we shouldn't wait for long with others making up their mind. And definitely, if no strong arguments are made against reveal soon, we should go for it.
User avatar
justy
Premium Member
 
Posts: 1975
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:10
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1054
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby justy » 01 Nov 2016, 16:45

I understand the wish for integrity of lynch. I'm a bit worried about loosing 12 hours because of it because I assume that there's not much info to be gained from the discussions after we dogpile at 12 hour mark. Usually, the last hours of game day have been quite active, and generated lots of data to be analyzed. What if that activity doesn't appear on artificial 12 hour mark? I feel that this plan might passivate town.

Caveat: I wasn't able to check at what time our deadline is. I'm on Euro time zones, so if our deadline is in the middle of night here, I won't be around at that time anyway and moving to artificial deadline 12 hours earlier wouldn't affect my activity anyway. On the other hand, if 12 hour mark is in the middle of night where most of you live, then it increases the passivating effect even more.
User avatar
justy
Premium Member
 
Posts: 1975
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:10
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1054
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Zoomzip » 01 Nov 2016, 16:50

justy wrote:I understand the wish for integrity of lynch. I'm a bit worried about loosing 12 hours because of it because I assume that there's not much info to be gained from the discussions after we dogpile at 12 hour mark. Usually, the last hours of game day have been quite active, and generated lots of data to be analyzed. What if that activity doesn't appear on artificial 12 hour mark? I feel that this plan might passivate town.

Caveat: I wasn't able to check at what time our deadline is. I'm on Euro time zones, so if our deadline is in the middle of night here, I won't be around at that time anyway and moving to artificial deadline 12 hours earlier wouldn't affect my activity anyway. On the other hand, if 12 hour mark is in the middle of night where most of you live, then it increases the passivating effect even more.


This is a reasonable concern. Yeah, I am sacrificing time. The 12 hour choice was made, in part, to allow for people at different timezones to see where the lynch is an and move their vote accordingly. But I am not wed to the 12 hour number. If you have a better deadline that allows for enough time for people to enforce the dogpile, I will accept it. 10, 8,6, 4... whatever. I just really want the dogpile.

I also expect this will just bring forward the last minute movings and shakings to our deadline as opposed to Condude's.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
User avatar
Zoomzip
 
Posts: 6563
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 05:29
Location: NoVa and The District
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 16:59

Zoomzip wrote:@SJG11: Thank you, I am pretty much on board for 90% of what you have done so far. I include your vote on me as part of the 90% I like, and accept the reasons for that vote for what they are. The one thing I object to is your choice in 1990s rap music, but I think even there I understand your reasoning for it.

I will pass on the message to my housemate that you dislike his choice of 90s rap music.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
User avatar
sjg11
 
Posts: 18111
Joined: 24 Dec 2010, 15:30
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 16:59

Zoomzip wrote:And to be clear, I should have indicated in the cons of my plan that any attempt to identify people lying about their size through vote counts is lost if we adopt my plan. I weigh that as much less important as preserving the integrity of the lynch.

Yeah I'm on board with this.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
User avatar
sjg11
 
Posts: 18111
Joined: 24 Dec 2010, 15:30
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 17:09

Just thinking about, potentially, what time would make a good pseudo-deadline, 12 hours isn't a great time. The deadline falls at about 9:30 PM here in the UK which makes it about 4:30 PM in the East of the US (I think, we changed our clocks recently so I may be an hour out). Not sure what that makes it in the West of the US but the point is that would be 9:30 AM here for the pseudo-deadline and 4:30 AM in the East of the US which really isn't an ideal deadline time.

So, my suggestion would be to set the pseudo deadline to 3 hours before the actual deadline which is the early evening in Europe (so there should be activity here) and is roughly lunchtime in the East of the States (again not sure what it is for those in the West of the US). Basically we should be able to drum up some good activity around that time, thus it makes more sense as a pseudo-deadline than 12 hours before the deadline does. Plus, more discussion time before the deadline is good. Oh, and with blue voting we don't need to have everyone around to change their votes but should have enough people around for the 3 hours to make sure everything progresses as it should do.

Of course this is not viable when we get towards any sort of LYLO/MYLO situation for obvious reasons.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
User avatar
sjg11
 
Posts: 18111
Joined: 24 Dec 2010, 15:30
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests