Mafia CLIV: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia (Town Win)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 15:25

Hoidofthenorth wrote:I'll probably just watch this first day, since I'm new to this way of playing Mafia. I will answer any questions that I feel proficient at, but don't expects me to be the strategist of the group.

I would not recommend this as a way of playing your first Mafia game. Personally, I believe the better option by far is simply to throw yourself into it, make your thought process clear and tell us what you think/thought and why.

For example, your answers to ZZ's questions will allow us insight into how your thinking about the game is developing.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 15:30

UpsideDownChuck wrote:Why I'm against size revealing. It lets the mafianfigure out who's M/S and pick them off quickly, rapidly reducing the towns vote power. It also lets them figure out who they need to be worried about potentially vigging them and lets the. Use their hides more effectively. These are both bad.

I do think we should minimize NKing because any mafia who is.both vulnerable (M/S) and scumread will likely hide. Meaning for the first couple nights the only kills that go through will likely be against town. To this end my first thought is that the lynch runner up should size reveal and soak the stomps. This has a greater than rand chance of being scum if we're doing good at identifying scum. And it'll give us info on the lynch if the mafia decides to take advantage and stomp that person (if they're town).

There's a flaw in your plan Chuck. What do we do if the lynch runner-up chose Large as their Size? We're a little bit screwed aren't we?
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 15:31

UpsideDownChuck wrote:Also townsjg loves drunknposting

Not sure this is true, I can only recall two occasions when drunk sjg has been properly unleashed, one as each alignment.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 15:44

Sjg lost an odds-on in real life and, thus, must post the following. This does not represent sjg's actual views on anything. Apparently sjg also lost another odds-on which means he will shortly have to dye his hair blonde like Arsenal legend Aaron Ramsey:

"I like big butts and I cannot lie".

Please move on with your regularly scheduled game of Mafia.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Zoomzip » 01 Nov 2016, 15:54

TOWN PLAN PART 1: LYNCH INTEGRITY

Vets, seeing as we have some new players, I am going to be slightly lecture-y for their benefit. This is not meant to be pedantic, but to try and make my thinking clear for new players.

The biggest tool the town has is the lynch. Sometimes GM's like to mess with that. They set up situations where people only vote at night by PM, or you can only change your vote by paying a fine. Sometimes they do what Condude has presented us: A situation where vote counts can be muddled about through weighting. But the point is, at least in early game, that the town's numerical advantage in players, not necessarily in votes, mean's that the lynch vote is the best collective will of the town (meddled somewhat by the scum).

So -- My position is this: I want the lynch to be used as traditionally as possible. No different weights, no clever rigging to try and draw out scum who may have weighted their vote. Make the vote as close to traditionally vanilla as possible.

Fortunately, the town has strategies available to them to make this happen. Which is why I am calling for us to use two of them.

First: The Dogpile
We all agree that the lynch leader 12 hours prior to deadline is the lynchee, and we all consolidate out votes on that person. That means if the vote is Zoomzip - 5, JeanPhi - 4, then everyone consolidates and votes me (I imagine that player may vote out of self preservation.) So the vote become Zoomzip-9, JeanPhi-0. Anyone who does not participate in the dogpile is potentially scum, and everyone agrees that if they see someone not dogpile, THEY TARGET THAT PERSON WITH A STOMP. We do this to enforce that the town's will is expressed. So I promise that even if the person I am voting for is not the lynch leader at 12 hours prior to deadline, I will switch my vote to the leader to enforce what is the will of the town.

Second: The Preference Vote
In order to prevent people from "Oh, I forgot to consolidate, I was late" -- in other words, to prevent people from screwing around with the dogpile, we all agree to vote in Huge Blue for now. At 12 hours to deadline, the winner of the large blue vote is the only person we cast red votes on. This prevents people from voting red early in the day and "not being able to get on to change it for the dogpile" It also makes one vote clearly our enforced vote under the dogpile mechanic, but the other vote can easily be used for vote analysis and momentum.

The cons of this plan are that we lose 12 hours of the day for discussion and lazy townies screw-up and get themselves accidently stomped because they can't follow directions. Surely none of us are lazy townies.

The pros of this plan is that lynch integrity is maintained, and scum attempts to manipulate the vote are limited.

I Anticipate that this strategy will work decently the first few days, it may need to be revisited D3 or later.

I need quick consensus on this to be a town plan. Please indicate in your next post if you agree to this plan or not. If you have an objection, please make it soon.

@SJG: I would like you to change your vote. Please make it blue and large :)
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Hoidofthenorth » 01 Nov 2016, 15:59

Zoomzip wrote:
Hoidofthenorth wrote:I'll probably just watch this first day, since I'm new to this way of playing Mafia. I will answer any questions that I feel proficient at, but don't expects me to be the strategist of the group.

Hoid: Question before you go: If all you do is watch, how is the town to know if you are probably scum or town? How would you like them to be able to judge you? Also, since you are watching, what are you watching for? What would make you want to vote someone to be lynched?

I'm watching for how people ask questions and how people answer to get a feel for how this works. I would lynch someone if they answer a question with an answer that seems more likely to benefit the mafia, or if they sidestep a question all together. I would say you judge me the same way.
Hoidofthenorth

Standard rating: (895)
All-game rating: (900)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby justy » 01 Nov 2016, 16:09

sjg11 wrote:If we reveal: Then we organise it so there is no unnecessary town on town violence based on who we're targeting. Smalls and Mediums probably decide whether to hide that night to add some uncertainty to the mix for the Mafia. I think that's a better option than everyone hiding from the start until they run out of hides. However the Mafia get to pick a night kill. Turns it into a vanilla game with 3 (I think?) mislynches assuming the Mafia's night-kill doesn't go through. Oh, we also know what everyone's vote weights are. Which is useful for diminishing the chaos within the game.

Only scum can hide. So unless at least one of them isn't small, they should be able to make 2 NKs as long as there are living townies smaller than them around.

That would mean that D1 mislynch and two NKs would mean we're in 4-2 situation tomorrow.

@ZoomZip: I agree with the plan IF we decide not to reveal our sizes. If we reveal, I think we should vote as we do normally. That would offer us vote data and possibility to find players who hide their real sizes based on vote results and claimed vote weights.
justy
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1054
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 16:10

I will show agreement with ZZ's plan by doing this:
Unvote
Zoomzip
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 16:14

@justy: Ah, didn't realise that. Ok, that changes things slightly but I still think that revealing is the better option. Simply because it minimizes the amount of town-town violence that will occur. Chaos in this instance will not end well for us I feel.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby justy » 01 Nov 2016, 16:18

I agree, I'm pro-reveal as well.

I think that UDC and Jordan are mostly against reveal? ZoomZip hasn't yet revealed his stance unless I missed it. Rest of us are pro-reveal or ambiguous.
justy
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1054
Timezone: GMT+2

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads