Mafia CLIV: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia (Town Win)

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Bigger, Medium, Smaller Mafia Day 1

Postby Zoomzip » 01 Nov 2016, 17:14

sjg11 wrote:So, my suggestion would be to set the pseudo deadline to 3 hours before the actual deadline which is the early evening in Europe (so there should be activity here) and is roughly lunchtime in the East of the States (again not sure what it is for those in the West of the US).

This is acceptable to me.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Jordan767 » 01 Nov 2016, 17:20

I like that sjg. Deadline is 1530 for me in Mountain time. Makes it 1730 on the east coast and 1430 on the west coast. So 2-5 hours works. And with the blue voting plan not everyone has to be available to consolidate anyway.
Silver Classicist.
Jordan767

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Zoomzip » 01 Nov 2016, 17:22

Jordan767 wrote:I like that sjg. Deadline is 1530 for me in Mountain time. Makes it 1730 on the east coast and 1430 on the west coast. So 2-5 hours works. And with the blue voting plan not everyone has to be available to consolidate anyway.

Well, they will need to be available to make sure their red vote reflects the result of the blue vote.

Zoomzip

Postby Zoomzip » 01 Nov 2016, 17:24

Four people are in favor of a reveal. At least two of them are town. One more pro-reveal and I am comfortable that a reveal is the way to go, and I will also post my answers to the opening questions.

Zoomzip

Postby sjg11 » 01 Nov 2016, 17:27

Zoomzip wrote:
Jordan767 wrote:I like that sjg. Deadline is 1530 for me in Mountain time. Makes it 1730 on the east coast and 1430 on the west coast. So 2-5 hours works. And with the blue voting plan not everyone has to be available to consolidate anyway.

Well, they will need to be available to make sure their red vote reflects the result of the blue vote.

But not everyone has to be online to consolidate do they? Just as long as those who are online all consolidate on the same person? And anyone who red votes on the wrong player gets stomped tonight?
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Zoomzip » 01 Nov 2016, 17:28

sjg11 wrote:
Zoomzip wrote:

But not everyone has to be online to consolidate do they? Just as long as those who are online all consolidate on the same person? And anyone who red votes on the wrong player gets stomped tonight?

Yeah, essentially. Which means I am hoping for heavy debate in blue, and then unanimity of all players in red. And anyone who red votes on the wrong player (or lets random.org vote for them) gets stomped.

Zoomzip

Postby justy » 01 Nov 2016, 17:42

Good plan Sjg. I'm two hours ahead of you so having blue vote deadline 2-3 hours before actual deadline would be perfect.
justy
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1054
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 01 Nov 2016, 17:45

sjg11 wrote:@justy: Ah, didn't realise that. Ok, that changes things slightly but I still think that revealing is the better option. Simply because it minimizes the amount of town-town violence that will occur. Chaos in this instance will not end well for us I feel.

You didn't realize this? It seems like realizing this should drastically alter your view of revealing. Unless I'm missing something we're essentially condemning two of our small/medium players to certain n1 death by revealing.

ZZ did I miss something or did you respond to everyone else's stance but mine?

I don't really care about the dogpile. I'm fine with it as I think if an 'unexpected' lynchgors throughnitnpotentially helps the mafia identify vulnerable townies.
UpsideDownChuck

Standard rating: (1409)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 01 Nov 2016, 17:51

justy wrote:Hello all, it's good to be playing again.

Zoomzip wrote:
Question 1: Suppose all players let random.org chose their size. what is the best outcome for the town?
Question 2: Thinking about the result of Question 1, now just suppose the town players got the best outcome, but the scum could select their size. What would they chose to maximize their advantage?
Question 3: Given how you think the scum might react, what should the town do to counteract the scum's plan?

1) Best result for town would be all ending up with similar size. That would mean there are no night kills, and scum wouldn't have voting advantage over town.
2) I'd choose average as scum. Chance to squash some players but still some say in voting.
3) Choose average size to avoid getting squashed by average scum.

No comment on wether this was my train of thought before I chose my side.

I think we all should reveal sizes today. That helps us to avoid accidental night kills.

@UDC, if we don't reveal, how do we know who the lynch leader and runner up are? Do you think consolidation works here similar to normal games where everyone has only one vote? I'd guess that without reveals, players won't consolidate as easily. Normally, you can switch to someone you want lynched, but here your original target might be a lynch leader if he had small player voting him. Without reveals, we don't really know what the score is and probably end up with several players revealing their size near the EoD.

I mean the on paper lynch leader. I actually spoke to this exact issue in my first post and suggested the top two wagons should reveal. If one who survives is small that's great because everyone could stomp them. If someone reveals as large we'd might need one person to step us as 'not-large' to give someone for the smalls to target. The trade off there being that a large can stomp them. I don't see any reason for someone who is good and capable of clearing themselves through their posting to reveal as potentially vulnerable and guarantee effectively that they get NKed N1. It seems like we're trading the chance of kisvigs for two guaranteed mafia controlled NKs. Even with the dislike we have for vigs on this site do we really think that two guaranteed NKs is a better outcome?
UpsideDownChuck

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 01 Nov 2016, 17:51

Apologies for the spelling issues my phone is being difficult
UpsideDownChuck