Creative Writing for Diplomacy

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Creative Writing for Diplomacy

Postby AKFD » 07 Apr 2019, 13:40

Hey guys!

I'd love to share this piece of creative writing I just made for a project.
The writing is about Diplomacy:

AKFD wrote:“Diplomacy is a game that involves a lot of negotiation and backstabbing”, you tell yourself as you head to the table where you and 6 other players will be playing this game. You tell yourself to stay vigilant and be careful, as you really want to win this game, and you will never know when you will get stabbed. Once you arrive at the table, you look at your opponents, suspiciously looking at them because of your anxiety in the upcoming game. As you introduce yourself to the other players, they seem friendly and you even make instant friends with them. But there is this voice under your head, saying that they might be hiding their true intentions. “Stay vigilant!”, a voice inside your head says. You heed this, as you really want to get the 18 supply centers to win!

As the game begins, the countries are being selected. You know for sure that there are 7 countries in the game; Austria, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, and Turkey. You also know for sure that there are some countries that are stronger than the others, but you tell yourself that you can probably win if you negotiate well enough. Before you realize, the countries have already been selected. You get England. Very well, you tell to yourself.

As the first negotiation phase begins, you start talking to the other players. You watch for warning signs and body language that can indicate your doom. You keep that in mind as the player playing Russia reaches out to you. You strike a deal with him that you will split a few supply centers in the north with him. But then the player playing Germany reaches out to you. He tells you of his plans against the Russian player with whom you have talked with a while ago. You strike a deal with him, and you are left to think what plan would you follow; the Russian player’s or the German player’s? As you continue into the negotiation phase, keeping the messages you have gotten in mind, you notice the French player, who’s talking to the German and Italian players as well. You can see his facial expressions, and this can indicate hostility towards you as he looks at you with a seemingly suspicious face. You hear the voice in your head again, telling you to stay vigilant. Then, you proceed to the rest of the negotiation phase, thinking of France’s hostility and the Russian and German deals. Sometime later, the phase ends and everyone is given a piece of paper to write their orders down for the next phase.

As you write down your orders, you begin to think of your plans and deals that you arranged with the players you have talked to earlier in the negotiation phase. You begin to debate in your head what you think would happen. You get worried because if you make a wrong move, this can signal your downfall. As you write down your first order, you pause for a while, thinking if the move will benefit you or not. You ask yourself if you should move to the English Channel or not. At first, you do not want to but seeing the French player’s hostility towards you, you write down, “F London MOVE English Channel”. That way, you can keep your supply center safe. As you wrap up your orders, you reassure yourself that you will survive this game, or even win it.

The game master resolves the orders everyone sent, and what you hear next makes you breathe a sigh of relief; France was really hostile towards you, and you were able to predict his moves. Great start, you tell yourself. The rest of the resolving goes on, and before you know it, the next negotiation phase begins. You reach out to Italy this time, and talk about what the French player’s intentions are. You don’t come up with a deal, you hey, at least he knows what your intentions are. Then, you talk to the German player about the Russian player’s intention to move into Sweden, something that the German player does not want to. You learn from him that he is ordering “F Denmark MOVE Sweden”, but you begin to wonder if he is telling the truth. You ask yourself what would happen if he let Russia into Sweden, and how will this overpower him and will eventually threaten you. But since you know for a fact that the Austrian player denied Russia access to Romania by entering there first, which means that if he gets Sweden, he will be only getting one build, therefore not being that much of a threat, you decide to forego this issue and continue on with the discussion. Once the orders phase arrives, you begin to write down orders once again. Once the next resolving phase begins, you are happy to realize that the German player was indeed telling the truth, that he did bounce the Russian player in Sweden. Once the resolving phase ends and the building phase arrives, it’s time to build units, and you are assigned one build since you got Norway for yourself, An okay start, you tell yourself, and you proceed with building your new unit.

For the next game phases, you repeat the cycle of negotiation, order-writing, and order-resolving. At times, you would see success in your endeavors of negotiating and order-writing, such as taking Belgium from the French player forcefully. Other times, failure comes. But what should you do if pretty much nothing happens? You ask yourself that question after you have seen 2 game years pass and go and yet not much has changed for you. By the 4th year, your supply center count has not changed, and all the players are getting stronger. You really need to do something. And so for the 4th year’s 2nd negotiation phase, you look at the German player. You know that he is in a tough position, with the Russian player attacking from the east. And so, the idea of stabbing him and breaking the deal you made 4 game years ago pops in your head. You resist this idea at first, thinking that you should be loyal to allies that you made. But then, a thought came into your mind: “What if the Russian player gets stronger just because I stayed loyal to the German player? What would happen to me then?” And you also remember that earlier you and the Italian player agreed to support him into Portugal. You, therefore, come to the conclusion that it will benefit you if you stab the German player and ally with the Italian player instead. And so, you do it. As you write down your orders, you get mixed feelings of regret and excitement. Regret, because you know how hard it feels to stab someone who is loyal to you; Excited because you see the opportunities ahead of you with the many supply centers you can take from the German player.

While the game master announces the resolved orders for that phase, these feelings get stronger. When your orders get announced, you feel as if your heart stopped beating. You can see the German player’s look of shock as to what you did. And you know deep inside you shouldn’t have done that. But you did. And you’ll have to progress the rest of the game with new enemies. But hey, you tell yourself, you got 3 builds! Then, as the build phase comes, you start telling yourself, I am on the pathway to victory. I can do this! And you submit your orders.

The 5th game year comes, and you are all geared up for the next game years to come. You continue with your mission of winning the game, and surely the voice inside your head will be satisfied. You continuously grab supply centers from opponents, until there comes a time in which the Italian player reached out to you. You remember that just a few game years ago, you agreed to be allies. And that you would not attack him. But this time, you are faced with a situation in which one of his supply centers is free. And with your mindset of growing to win, you make the hard decision once again to stab the Italian player. But this time, you know that you made the right decision, no matter how hard it would feel on you. The Italian player is facing an attack from the Turkish player, and you can gain more potential to victory by getting supply centers from him. After all, you’re at 11 Supply Centers. And after tons of deliberation in your head, you decide to stab him by moving to Portugal. As your orders are announced, the Italian player is visibly shocked. But you know deep down in your heart that what you did would help you win. But one thing is for certain, you have made a new enemy in the game.

A few more game years by and as expected, you win the game. You shake hands with every player in the game that you have played with and have agreed to play again next time. You know for sure that the next game’s outcome would be different; someone else might win next time, or you might not do very well. But one thing is for sure, though: The actions of the players and the way they speak to you might not reflect their intentions. For each player has their own goal: To win the game for themselves.

Anu suggestions or improvements?
Silver Classicist!

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 830
All-game rating: 776
Timezone: GMT+8

Re: Creative Writing for Diplomacy

Postby Oh Cheese » 08 Apr 2019, 15:13

A great piece of work! I've a degree in Creative Writing, so it's wonderful to see you present this piece on the forum!

I loved the opening. The only criticism I can really levy at the first half is, too many "player"s. Try to avoid repetition, as far as possible. Just refer to country's owners as "the German... the Russian..." or even just, "Germany... Russia".

But after being so engaged in the first half of your piece, I was a bit thrown off that you didn't go into so much detail about the following years... especially regarding the climax of the game - the most exciting point, and the reason why you're writing, surely?

If it's for a specific purpose, and you're working to a word limit though, you need to find a median between the amount of detail you're providing in the first half, and then in the second.
Oh Cheese
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1167
All-game rating: 1229
Timezone: GMT+6

Postby AKFD » 08 Apr 2019, 15:55

Oh Cheese wrote:A great piece of work! I've a degree in Creative Writing, so it's wonderful to see you present this piece on the forum!

I loved the opening. The only criticism I can really levy at the first half is, too many "player"s. Try to avoid repetition, as far as possible. Just refer to country's owners as "the German... the Russian..." or even just, "Germany... Russia".

But after being so engaged in the first half of your piece, I was a bit thrown off that you didn't go into so much detail about the following years... especially regarding the climax of the game - the most exciting point, and the reason why you're writing, surely?

If it's for a specific purpose, and you're working to a word limit though, you need to find a median between the amount of detail you're providing in the first half, and then in the second.

I really had to focus on the first year, as that was the interesting year. But I can allot space for the 2nd half! It mainly focuses on the stabbing.
Silver Classicist!

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 830
All-game rating: 776
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby GeraldTheGolem » 08 Apr 2019, 17:54

A bit of stylistic nit picking, if I may.

Too many "you", "yours", "yourself", "your". I would try and replace as much as possible of that with different wording.

Also, the very first thing that popped out was the following sentence:
"Once you arrive at the table, you look at your opponents, suspiciously looking at them because of your anxiety in the upcoming game."

"... look at your opponents, suspiciously looking at them... " I get the idea, but it seems at least weird.
I also noticed the aforementioned "you"-type words were used 4 times in that sentence alone.

Pick almost any sentence, and you will see anywhere from 4~6 "you"-type words in it. A bit heavy for my liking.

Otherwise I do think it's nice. Keep it up.
GeraldTheGolem

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 974
All-game rating: 976
Timezone: GMT+9

Return to Diplomacy Lore