Pussycats and Boars

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Pussycats and Boars

Postby Mr.E » 09 Mar 2019, 17:03

WARNING: THIS POST IS WRITTEN WITH AT LEAST A MODICUM OF TEASING...
In Diplomacy, there is a penchant for naming things. Alliances - Juggernaut, Wintergreen, etc. Players who do strange things in games - Armoured Duck, Kingmaker, etc. People who play in certain ways - Soloists, Carebears, etc.

Well, I want to introduce another term: The Pussycats.

Who are these players? Are they nice and cuddly but with wickedly sharp claws, who appear to be Carebears and then stab you? Are they players with a short attention span, who play enthusiastically at first but then lose interest? Do they use you for selfish reasons but have no real pack mentality, who will switch alliances at the drop of a hat?

None of the above.

My inspiration was something that went through my head after reading so many forum posts which only wanted games to be played more quickly. Ever-shorter deadlines; demands to finalise, no contemplation of anything that might delay games - that kind of thing.

Why 'Pussycats'? What went through my head was the title of that iconic exploitation film "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" It's a truly terrible film (unless you're a teenage boy, I suppose) but that's why it's iconic, after all. So it's nothing clever about the link, just that drive to play games as fast as possible brought the name of the film to mind. If I was being clever I'd say something about how the terrible nature of the film linked with the terrible impatience of these players.

And, as I was thinking about this post, it occurred to me that the Pussycats require their counter-parts, players who deliberately slow a game down, either for strategic reasons or for sheer bloody-mindedness. What would represent the antithesis of the Pussycats?

Well, something canine, perhaps. 'Old Dogs'? Not very satisfactory. What other animals that are slow? Sloths, tortoises, snails - but slow animals are survivors and that doesn't seem to fit.

And then I thought of the term pig-headed, which led me to 'Boars', which sounds like 'bores', so there you go. The Boars.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 966
All-game rating: 1134
Timezone: GMT

Re: Pussycats and Boars

Postby Big Gun » 10 Mar 2019, 00:43

Big Gun

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1410)