King maker

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

King maker

Postby Si_rolf » 05 Dec 2018, 18:13

Friends,

I'm in the end-phase of a ranked game (https://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play ... _id=150482) which to me is being spoiled by a new player who replaced France, who surrendered. Replacing another surrendered player means the new player is protected from a penalty in ranking.

Now this new player is playing King Maker and gives all SC's to Germany while blocking its enemy's.

My question: how to handle this, it spoils (my) Diplomacy fun and the game would even be more fair with a neutral France.

Interested in your thoughts on this!

Kind regards,
-Si_rolf
Si_rolf
Premium Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 21:23
Location: Amsterdam
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1448)
All-game rating: (1462)
Timezone: GMT

Re: King maker

Postby MrShed123 » 05 Dec 2018, 18:20

Removed based upon feedback.
Last edited by MrShed123 on 05 Dec 2018, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
MrShed123
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 31 Jan 2016, 14:02
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1176)
All-game rating: (1243)
Timezone: GMT

Re: King maker

Postby condude1 » 05 Dec 2018, 18:25

It's not against the rules.

Edited because it's an active game.
Last edited by condude1 on 06 Dec 2018, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.


Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
User avatar
condude1
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 03:41
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: King maker

Postby Si_rolf » 05 Dec 2018, 18:49

condude1 wrote:He's playing well? I do this often. It's his only hope, and if you were going to kill him from behind, it's a damn good play. He puts Germany to 17, then sits on the stalemate line so you can't eliminate him. I see nothing wrong at all.


Grrrrr, just the fact he is not punished for losing is frustrating I guess
Si_rolf
Premium Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 21:23
Location: Amsterdam
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1448)
All-game rating: (1462)
Timezone: GMT

Re: King maker

Postby Si_rolf » 05 Dec 2018, 18:51

MrShed123 wrote:Not a lot you can do really? Unless he has done it immediately on joining in which case technically I think it’s against the rules.

However having looked at the game even France kingmakjng is unlikely to actually kingmake..? Unless I’m missing something. It’ll be close but not quite...


He decides who will win and who will not, isn't that the definition?
Si_rolf
Premium Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 21:23
Location: Amsterdam
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1448)
All-game rating: (1462)
Timezone: GMT

Re: King maker

Postby MrShed123 » 05 Dec 2018, 19:18

Removed based upon feedback.
Last edited by MrShed123 on 05 Dec 2018, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
MrShed123
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 31 Jan 2016, 14:02
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1176)
All-game rating: (1243)
Timezone: GMT

Re: King maker

Postby Strategus » 05 Dec 2018, 20:05

Si_rolf wrote:Friends,

I'm in the end-phase of a ranked game (https://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play ... _id=150482) which to me is being spoiled by a new player who replaced France, who surrendered. Replacing another surrendered player means the new player is protected from a penalty in ranking.

Now this new player is playing King Maker and gives all SC's to Germany while blocking its enemy's.

My question: how to handle this, it spoils (my) Diplomacy fun and the game would even be more fair with a neutral France.

Interested in your thoughts on this!

Kind regards,
-Si_rolf

It's against the rules to discuss a live game on the forum.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
User avatar
Strategus
 
Posts: 1844
Joined: 30 May 2015, 14:30
Location: England
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1708
Timezone: GMT

Re: King maker

Postby NJLonghorn » 05 Dec 2018, 20:34

Strategus wrote:It's against the rules to discuss a live game on the forum.


I agree. The OP and several of the responses are, imho, improper.

In response to the question in the original post -- "how to handle this" -- I'd say (a) remind yourself that it is only a game and suck it up; (b) wait until after the game is over and raise the issue in the forum; or (c) if you really feel the need to fix the situation immediately, do it by DM to the mods.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
User avatar
NJLonghorn
Premium Member
 
Posts: 288
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 23:41
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: King maker

Postby MrShed123 » 05 Dec 2018, 20:39

NJLonghorn wrote:
Strategus wrote:It's against the rules to discuss a live game on the forum.


I agree. The OP and several of the responses are, imho, improper.

In response to the question in the original post -- "how to handle this" -- I'd say (a) remind yourself that it is only a game and suck it up; (b) wait until after the game is over and raise the issue in the forum; or (c) if you really feel the need to fix the situation immediately, do it by DM to the mods.


Fair comment. Removed the content of my posts in line with this.
MrShed123
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 31 Jan 2016, 14:02
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1176)
All-game rating: (1243)
Timezone: GMT

Re: King maker

Postby Si_rolf » 05 Dec 2018, 23:30

MrShed123 wrote:
NJLonghorn wrote:
Strategus wrote:It's against the rules to discuss a live game on the forum.


I agree. The OP and several of the responses are, imho, improper.

In response to the question in the original post -- "how to handle this" -- I'd say (a) remind yourself that it is only a game and suck it up; (b) wait until after the game is over and raise the issue in the forum; or (c) if you really feel the need to fix the situation immediately, do it by DM to the mods.


Fair comment. Removed the content of my posts in line with this.


Sorry for my breach of protocol, still annoyed though... ttyl I guess
Si_rolf
Premium Member
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 21:23
Location: Amsterdam
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1448)
All-game rating: (1462)
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Diplomacy Lore

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests