The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Re: The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 06 Feb 2018, 05:52

TheCraw wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:And for my last notes tonight, here are some (rough) mockups of what PD's current map might look like if inspired by some other color schemes. These were mocked up in the space of half-an-hour, so there are a couple obvious mistakes (like not shading the other half of Constantinople).


Ah, but you're forgetting "Fog of War". The "unseen" spaces are always white.


They're light grey, but that certainly compounds the problem for using white as a player color. One can already notice a similar issue with the JOC version, where Britain is white.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
User avatar
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 00:17
Location: North Carolina
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Postby DQ » 06 Feb 2018, 13:48

GhostEcho wrote:I would love to see the blocks in play. We just need to get more F2F gamers on PlayDip and voting in these polls.


Preach! I can't read the PlayDip map at all. I'll get used to it if I keep playing games here I am sure, but man, 20+ years of blocks or even stars and anchors is tough to overcome.

The most recent PTKS game was played on the new board with the punched-out cardboard, and that is where I draw the line. :D
Stab you soon!
User avatar
DQ
 
Posts: 315
Joined: 11 Sep 2008, 14:29
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Postby joe92 » 06 Feb 2018, 14:13

Guess it depends which board you have. Mine has plastic moulds for the pieces. Armies are bullets and Fleets are battleships. So coming to PlayDip and having pretty much the same thing in terms of units was very easy. In fact, I much prefer having the units as close to real life as they would be; that is tanks and battleships or similar. Stars and anchors, big blocks and little blocks, they are all ugly and unnecessary obfuscate for my liking.

As to colours. England is pink and Russia purple for me. My board is pretty much the Gibsons-ish one you posted. 1963 version.

Quite amusingly there are little pictures around the board in the background, and for Turkey the picture is a drugged up Arab smoking a hookah pipe with syringes by his feet. That would definitely not make it past today's review process :lol:
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
User avatar
joe92
 
Posts: 1043
Joined: 02 Feb 2013, 00:26
Location: Leeds, GB
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1746)
Timezone: GMT

Re: The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 06 Feb 2018, 16:20

joe92 wrote:Guess it depends which board you have. Mine has plastic moulds for the pieces. Armies are bullets and Fleets are battleships. So coming to PlayDip and having pretty much the same thing in terms of units was very easy. In fact, I much prefer having the units as close to real life as they would be; that is tanks and battleships or similar. Stars and anchors, big blocks and little blocks, they are all ugly and unnecessary obfuscate for my liking.


That's fascinating. It's definitely two very different schools of design going on: minimalism vs. pseudo-realism. I find some of the PD icons just far too "busy," particularly with a map that has so much going on already. My favorites of those available are the very simple cannon and sailboat, though I'd really prefer something more simple and geometric.

joe92 wrote:As to colours. England is pink and Russia purple for me. My board is pretty much the Gibsons-ish one you posted. 1963 version.


Pink as England is starting to grow on me now, though I still prefer navy blue. I'm okay with purple Russia. It's the bright orange neutral spaces that really put me off of the Gibsons map.

joe92 wrote:Quite amusingly there are little pictures around the board in the background, and for Turkey the picture is a drugged up Arab smoking a hookah pipe with syringes by his feet. That would definitely not make it past today's review process :lol:


Edit: Just realized you meant the actual Gibsons board. I was freaking out that we had that caricature on PlayDip.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
User avatar
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 00:17
Location: North Carolina
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Postby joe92 » 06 Feb 2018, 17:49

NoPunIn10Did wrote:It's the bright orange neutral spaces that really put me off of the Gibsons map.

Yup, I'm not a fan of that either. However, on the actual board version of the map the orange is dulled and blends quite well with the entire board. It's not quite near so ugly.

NoPunIn10Did wrote:Edit: Just realized you meant the actual Gibsons board. I was freaking out that we had that caricature on PlayDip.

Haha, yeah, on the board. I'll take a picture on my phone and upload it later. It's really not pc at all :lol:
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
User avatar
joe92
 
Posts: 1043
Joined: 02 Feb 2013, 00:26
Location: Leeds, GB
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1746)
Timezone: GMT

Re: The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 06 Feb 2018, 18:30

joe92 wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:Edit: Just realized you meant the actual Gibsons board. I was freaking out that we had that caricature on PlayDip.

Haha, yeah, on the board. I'll take a picture on my phone and upload it later. It's really not pc at all :lol:


I found it on Boardgamegeek. It's pretty bad. :P
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
User avatar
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 00:17
Location: North Carolina
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Postby joe92 » 07 Feb 2018, 14:44

And for everyone else to see :roll:
IMG_20180207_114242821.png
IMG_20180207_114242821.png (134.35 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
User avatar
joe92
 
Posts: 1043
Joined: 02 Feb 2013, 00:26
Location: Leeds, GB
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1746)
Timezone: GMT

Re: The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 07 Feb 2018, 16:27

joe92 wrote:And for everyone else to see :roll:


Oof.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
User avatar
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 00:17
Location: North Carolina
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 07 Feb 2018, 18:31

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
joe92 wrote:And for everyone else to see :roll:


Oof.


Wow :lol: :lol:
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
User avatar
Don Juan of Austria
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: 19 Feb 2014, 11:50
Location: South Africa, though given to travel
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: The Seven Powers: Let's Talk About Color

Postby Figital » 13 Feb 2019, 02:25

Here is a UK 'Pink' image similar to my board.

I have used Sketch-up to place 3d moveable pieces on the board so can have a 360 view of a 3d board for each move/game.

Can post the Sketch-up model if anyone else uses it.
Attachments
Ambassador Fall 01.png
Ambassador Fall 01.png (469.33 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Figital
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 18:16
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1014
All-game rating: 1018
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Diplomacy Lore

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest