Meet the New Boss. Same as the Old Boss.

Official announcements from the creators

Meet the New Boss. Same as the Old Boss.

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 08 Jul 2020, 22:15

Just a quick announcement:

I've had a lot trouble keeping up with the development & bug-fixing work at PlayDiplomacy, so I'm stepping back from my role as lead volunteer developer. Returning to take back the reins, or at least popping his head in periodically to look at bugs, is super_dipsy.

Yep, he's back. And for that, I am extremely grateful.

My understanding at this time is that he's predominately handling technical issues, not player issues. For player administration and issue resolution in that sphere, please continue to contact the mod team as lead by WHSeward and Nanook.

I'll be remaining on as a forum administrator, and I'll be assisting from time-to-time with new variants. I'll also remain involved as a PbF GM. So I'm not going away, but I'm no longer the go-to person for technical issues.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Meet the New Boss. Same as the Old Boss.

Postby WHSeward » 08 Jul 2020, 23:12

Thank you NoPun!
Thank you Dipsy!
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Woolgie » 09 Jul 2020, 17:34

Well, this playdipper was...possibly a little hasty earlier and would like to...reaffirm his allegiance to this site and its super president. May not be perfect, but it's still the best government we have. For now.
[notices "HAIL NoPun" sign taped up, tears it down]
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1052
All-game rating: 939
Timezone: GMT

Postby Custer » 11 Jul 2020, 15:58

Welcome back Dipsy!

Nobody can stay away for long....LoL

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1069
All-game rating: 1194
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Avalanche » 11 Jul 2020, 22:12

Thanks for all your hard work, NoPunIn10Did. I haven't been active on the site much at all in recent years, so I am extremely grateful other people were willing to take up roles in development, cheater hunting, moderation, etc. I know it's not easy. And situations change. Therefore, thank you for contributing the time you had, while you were available!

And of course, welcome back super_dipsy. Also much indebted to you for the role you played over many, many years already.

I also want to say that while it's sad to see the world being plagued by disease, I am happy to see this community growing again. Not for personal gain, because this website has always had more money flowing out than in. I am invested in the game because of my father, who started playing Diplomacy by post in the 1970's.

I created this website initially, in 2007, so that we could play together, while I had maybe about a 100 opponents in mind, if we should be so lucky.

Of course, as you know, the site has grown a bit more than that -- with 265,305 registered players and 107,784 games played... It has been quite a success.

Even though the site might look a bit old-fashioned by very modern standards, we've had a redesign, added more maps, rule variants, upgrades to make the site more mobile accessible. And it's thanks to people like super_dipsy and NoPunIn10Did and MANY other people that volunteered over the years that this site is what it is today!

So here I am, reflecting on a Saturday night in what has proven to be an incredulous year. Although my father and I have both left the site since a few years (family and business duties), my heart is still here. I hope I was able to express my gratitude for the people that kept the site running -- all that time.

And of course to you, the players, whom we are all doing it for.

Thank you!
Avalanche
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (955)
All-game rating: (1013)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Custer » 12 Jul 2020, 05:57

Bravo, bravo.....and no.....thank you!

Thanks for providing this place for this band of merry men and women to congregate.

Speaking for myself, I've enjoyed this site for almost as long as its been around. And I hope to enjoy it for many more years to come. And one day I hope to get to Malta to meet the man himself.

And I tip my hat to Dipsy, NoPun, Alman, Rick Leeds and all of the rest (Craw) of the crew throughout the years who have made this the site it is. Its been real and its been fun,

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1069
All-game rating: 1194
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Putski » 13 Jul 2020, 12:16

Thanks both of you!!

Will Super_dipsy also take PM's again? There is an urgent issue with one game, which is a gunboat, so a PM is preferred. But I cannot send it yet.
Putski
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1608
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby WHSeward » 13 Jul 2020, 18:08

You can send your urgent message to any Mod. They don't need to all go to Dipsy. And really, we are wrangling Dipsy back from retirement. Let's try our best to give him a break and send issues elsewhere.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 13 Jul 2020, 23:11

Remember also that Dipsy is (or at least should be) on the Mods list as well. I'm there too even though technically I don't do much in the way of Mod work. So if it's something technical that he or I need to look at, we'll still see it.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)

Postby sroca » 14 Jul 2020, 03:27

I'm not sure the Mods list matters. I don't think I was able to send him a PM no matter when I was trying to figure out how to volunteer to help with development work.
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1137
All-game rating: 1142

Next

Return to Announcements