UPDATE: Missing Email Workaround

Official announcements from the creators

Re: Known Issue: Delayed Email

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 20 Mar 2020, 17:48

ColtsFan76 wrote:Came to post the same. I have had an account for several years. I wanted to introduce a new group of friends to this game and noticed I wasn't notified of the game filling up, starting, or country selection. I jumped on the next day after I knew the last player confirmed and was surprised to see all that setup and several public posts along with a private message. I am sorry to see that this is not working for a mix of old and new players.

It's not really relevant whether it's an old or new account. It's just a problem with the email server that's been ongoing for years and has recently become much worse. The site's owners are aware but have had to deprioritize migrating us to a new email server.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Shyvve » 20 Mar 2020, 22:23

I've never really relied on the email notifications to prompt me to confirm participation in a new game, or phase changes, or whatnot. I just check "My Pending Games" and "My Active Games" for all that.

The issue of new accounts not receiving a 'confirm membership' email is a different critter though. I know folks are always advised to check their spam folders/settings and I assume that they do. Not sure how to get around the issue of the emails not being sent for new accounts, password changes, etc. Other than what NoPun has said about it being a known issue.
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1313)
All-game rating: (1345)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Jack007 » 21 Mar 2020, 00:21

Shyvve wrote:...
The issue of new accounts not receiving a 'confirm membership' email is a different critter though. I know folks are always advised to check their spam folders/settings and I assume that they do. Not sure how to get around the issue of the emails not being sent for new accounts, password changes, etc. Other than what NoPun has said about it being a known issue.

It will be the demise of Playdiplomacy. :(
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1545
All-game rating: 1681
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby antkneenew » 22 Mar 2020, 01:44

Same issue here, 4 existing players were able to join our new game #167819. However, the 3 new players created accounts 2 days ago but have not gotten the confirmation email and therefore have not been able to join the game. Any suggestions or assistance is welcome.
antkneenew

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby General_Griff » 22 Mar 2020, 14:56

Im having trouble confirming orders. I've clicked the confirmed button multiple times and the page has loaded but then still says I need to confirm still...
Also yesterday each username in the game had next to it 'confirmed' or 'yet to confirm' next to there names and now I can't see anything.
Sorry I've played a year or two ago and don't remember having these issuess... are there some bugs with the website at the moment? Many thanks all, Geoff
General_Griff

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 22 Mar 2020, 15:17

General_Griff wrote:Im having trouble confirming orders. I've clicked the confirmed button multiple times and the page has loaded but then still says I need to confirm still...
Also yesterday each username in the game had next to it 'confirmed' or 'yet to confirm' next to there names and now I can't see anything.
Sorry I've played a year or two ago and don't remember having these issuess... are there some bugs with the website at the moment? Many thanks all, Geoff

Okay, now the text where it repeatedly asks you to confirm? That’s a defect I can fix. That text somehow got copy-pasted there when it should say something like “You have confirmed.” All you need to do is confirm once.

Unfortunately the larger underlying email issue is out of my hands. I’ll ping the owner again.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby RFK17 » 23 Mar 2020, 00:35

Hi all -

Do you know what new users should do to get the account activation email to be re-sent, or what the common delay time is?

Thanks a bunch
RFK17

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1141)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 23 Mar 2020, 15:26

RFK17 wrote:Hi all -

Do you know what new users should do to get the account activation email to be re-sent, or what the common delay time is?

Thanks a bunch

I think just trying to log in again should give an option to have the email resent. It should arrive within a day at the latest unless it's been completely discarded by your email client's spam detection system.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 23 Mar 2020, 15:27

Update:

We have identified at least one potential problem; our server is being blacklisted by one of the spam-detection services commonly used by email clients. I have sent the pertinent information to the site owners.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby Gillmayers » 23 Mar 2020, 19:09

I have also been having the same issue, I've been trying to set up a game with some friends, and 2 of them have not yet received emails to activate their accounts after they set it up.
Gillmayers

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements