UPDATE: Missing Email Workaround

Official announcements from the creators

UPDATE: Missing Email Workaround

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 15 Feb 2020, 15:34

We are seeing more instances of emails sent by the site being delayed or not being received at all. This used to be an issue primarily with new account confirmation, but now it appears to be affecting all types of email, including turn notifications and game confirmations.

I have contacted the site owners and requested assistance. Until we get a fix or replacement for our email server, I highly recommend using caution when signing up for games with shorter deadlines.

UPDATE 2020 Mar 24
This continues to be an issue that we are investigating. While there's not much that can be done at this time for delayed/missing turn notification and game confirmation emails, I do have a potential workaround for handling account email verification.

So, if you are making a new account, and you don't receive the standard verification within 4 hours, do the following:
  1. Check your spam and trash folders for your email client first.
  2. If you don't see it there, use the email you want to verify to send a message to [email protected].
    1. Put "Verify New Account" in the subject line.
    2. Include your username and email address in the body of the message.
    3. If the address you send from and the one you want to verify from don't match, I won't verify your account.
  3. Because I'm having to do this manually in the database, please understand that it may take me 24-48 hours to respond.
  4. Remember, I cannot do anything to help with regard to game confirmation emails. I advise periodically checking the My Pending Games page to see if any are waiting for you to confirm.
Again, I am so sorry for these delays, and I wish there was more I could do. Hopefully I can help at least with the brand new accounts in this fashion.

UPDATE 2020 Mar 27
Per several player accounts, the problem with slow emails seems to be abating. Long-term, we still need to perform an upgrade to the Playdip email system, and Volo Media is fully on board with that idea.

Please don't use the above workaround unless you've given it a couple hours and you've thoroughly checked your inbox, spam, etc. folders. If you're a little patient, right now you're more likely to see the confirmation email before I have the opportunity to manually verify your account.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Known Issue: Delayed Email

Postby tealover » 26 Feb 2020, 15:17

I have noticed that when games finish, the rating is not adjusted. Is this related to the email issue?
tealover
Premium Member

Standard rating: 931
All-game rating: 970
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 26 Feb 2020, 16:02

tealover wrote:I have noticed that when games finish, the rating is not adjusted. Is this related to the email issue?

That sounds like a separate issue. Could you post a thread in Bugs for us to investigate?
viewforum.php?f=2

As there have been no recent code changes, I suspect there's been a miscommunication somewhere.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby Putski » 01 Mar 2020, 16:33

NoPunIn10Did wrote:We are seeing more instances of emails sent by the site being delayed or not being received at all. This used to be an issue primarily with new account confirmation, but now it appears to be affecting all types of email, including turn notifications and game confirmations.

I have contacted the site owners and requested assistance. Until we get a fix or replacement for our email server, I highly recommend using caution when signing up for games with shorter deadlines.

I have not got any emails for more than a week now, which is very unpractical. Is there any news on this?
Putski
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1608

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 02 Mar 2020, 16:45

Putski wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:We are seeing more instances of emails sent by the site being delayed or not being received at all. This used to be an issue primarily with new account confirmation, but now it appears to be affecting all types of email, including turn notifications and game confirmations.

I have not got any emails for more than a week now, which is very unpractical. Is there any news on this?

Unfortunately not. I have seen fewer reports of it lately, so it's possible the extent of the problem has gone back to normal levels, but it's always been a potential problem. I'll let the site owners know that this is still an issue.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby Putski » 04 Mar 2020, 17:18

Could you also check whether emails are being sent? I changed my email address, but nothing. "Delay" also suggests: late but finally there. No message for more than a week here.
Putski
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1608

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 04 Mar 2020, 23:15

Putski wrote:Could you also check whether emails are being sent? I changed my email address, but nothing. "Delay" also suggests: late but finally there. No message for more than a week here.

Per my post, emphasis added:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:We are seeing more instances of emails sent by the site being delayed or not being received at all.

I know it's frustrating. I've brought it up repeatedly. I'm not in a position where I can do anything to fix it myself; re-configuring or relocating an outgoing mail server requires more access and expertise than what I have.

I do know that the system as a whole is still sending email and some of them are making it to my inbox in a timely fashion. I don't know why that's fine for some users and not for others.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby General_Griff » 19 Mar 2020, 14:19

I've just started a new game and cannot see it anywhere tried twice have had no email... have new games been put on hold until the issue is resolved or is there usually a delay with new games starting? Game name: War of Covid19
General_Griff

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 19 Mar 2020, 21:53

General_Griff wrote:I've just started a new game and cannot see it anywhere tried twice have had no email... have new games been put on hold until the issue is resolved or is there usually a delay with new games starting? Game name: War of Covid19

So in this instance, you haven't actually started a new game. You just created a new game listing. A game doesn't start until it has the right number of players and confirms with all of them. If you do a search for your game (167385) under the "Join Game" menu, you should see it.

Email doesn't came into play in any of that. Email reminders do go out during the confirmation step, but that's it.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby ColtsFan76 » 20 Mar 2020, 03:40

Came to post the same. I have had an account for several years. I wanted to introduce a new group of friends to this game and noticed I wasn't notified of the game filling up, starting, or country selection. I jumped on the next day after I knew the last player confirmed and was surprised to see all that setup and several public posts along with a private message. I am sorry to see that this is not working for a mix of old and new players.
ColtsFan76

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Next

Return to Announcements