AARs

GM: Pedros. Draw: AardvarkArmy (Mexico), theangrycastle (Britain), slayer666 (Peru)

Re: AARs

Postby theangrycastle » 04 Oct 2011, 03:20

At least as i understand it, here's what led to the draw. Mexico and I had been in a long-standing alliance, but we were always a bit uneasy of one another. After we took out Brazil, we were going to most likely turn on Peru, but I get the feeling neither one of us trusted one another to not go for a solo. The three way draw was basically a way to keep one another honest, or at least that's the impression I get. Plus, I didn't actually expect the draw to be accepted, but I figured proposing it would help make sure there was a wedge between Brazil and Peru. Oh well.
theangrycastle

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (951)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby AardvarkArmy » 04 Oct 2011, 08:33

There was actually a real-world element in the draw. Peru confided to me that he would be taking a long leave in about 2 weeks and desperately wanted the game to end. His initial plan was to threaten a Brazilian-Peruvian alliance to stall the norte americanos and force a 4-way draw.

I countered very forcefully rejecting the 4-way and threatening to fight another 20 years rather than succumb to that bully tactic (stick) then suggested that if all parties hit Brazil brutally and at once, he would succumb so Peru could share in quick 3-way (carrot).

Hence, the quick draw was the price of holding the 3-way together - the stark choice was 3-way now or fight for many, many years on a stalemate line, with one key player being replaced...
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1050
All-game rating: 1598

Postby Pedros » 04 Oct 2011, 10:17

Thanks Castle and AA, though I'm not sure the RL element makes me feel much better about it!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby diplomat42 » 10 Oct 2011, 02:18

Well...I had unsubscribed once I died. Sorry about that.

I don't have much to add, really. I think the comments "fighting a guerilla war" and "getting into bad spots" are completely true.
I want to shoot my diplomat (me) for bad decisions across the board. That's really all; I had options and I botched it completely. Mexico does seem too strong, but mapmaking isn't my strong suit.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby theangrycastle » 11 Oct 2011, 02:39

I think Britain is really strong, but only if they can defend all their holdings in all their different theaters. I was the biggest power all game wrong, but that was only because I'm a good diplomat.
theangrycastle

Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (951)

Previous

Return to Game 2