AARs

GM: Pedros. Draw: AardvarkArmy (Mexico), theangrycastle (Britain), slayer666 (Peru)

AARs

Postby AardvarkArmy » 23 Sep 2011, 22:00

Generalisimo AardvarkArmy of Mexico sends congratulations and thanks to fellow victors England and Peru, as well as regards to Brazil and Venezuela for fighting a good fight and finishing with honor.

In hindsight, I think Mexico was nearly assured of a place at the table due to those three principles of real estate: location, location, location. Mexico seems almost disadvantaged in the starting location - I believe Mexico is the only country for whom it is physically impossible to gain more than 1 center in the first year. But once that hurdle was passed, geography became a huge advangage, with several centers all but assured to me in the 2nd and 3rd years and vast open spaces serving as natural defensive lines.

I first planned to divide the map down the middle with USA, and we had set up a series of DMZs and spheres of influence. Then redelmondo NMRd his first year builds, and it was immediately apparent that he would not survive that blunder.

This seemed like a disaster, at first, having my key alliance wiped out. But once I got down to serious discussions with England, I realized that the demise of USA was a huge gift to me. To begin with, I got to scavenge some of his centers. But, more importantly, the entire Western USA was now locked for me - redelmondo had wanted to take ORE and ALA and I had feared that I would always be living in the shadow of a stab; but England was a coastal power in the east, so I had no resistance at all reaching the Mississippi - and even briefly crossing as far over as FLA!

What a luxury to be able to guard 8 centers spanning half a continent with only two armies!!! I was even able to survive an NMR of my own without losing a single center, territory or unit!!!

The push south was so rapidly-changing, I could never catch my breath! Columbia emerged as a major power - and a major threat. He and I had an oddly successful detente, as we both pressed hard against each other's borders but neither of us ever pulled the trigger. I was furiously working to persuade Peru to join in a joint attack, when a funny thing happened - Venezuela tore into Columbia's exposed underbelly, and in the wink of an eye, the Columbian threat vanished.

I then began working furiously to persuade Peru to jointly go after Venezuela, when another funny thing happened - Brazil tore into Venezuela's exposed underbelly, and in the wink of an eye, the Venezuelan threat vanished as well.

Meanwhile, I was catching lucky breaks on both sides of the map: Chile waged a surprisingly effective guerrilla war and bogged Peru down just long enough to allow me to achieve naval superiority in the Pacific; and Spain put up a stronger fight than anticipated vs England, eliminating any serious threat of an English transcontinental transgression against me.

My two key alliances were mostly steady for the last 4 years. England and I both harbored some fears of a stab by the other, and we both conducted back-channel meddling to interfere with the other's growth. But we had put togather a fantastic DMZ barricade spanning 12 territories, which made any major stab nearly impossible.

When I first reached out to Peru to deal with Columbia, my expectation was that I would use and then discard Peru as England and I scored a 2-way win. The whirlwind of stabs in the south at first seemed to bode well for England and I, but as the dust settled, it became clear that two major powers had emerged in the south, and my alliance with Peru became a real necessity.

One season back, Peru stole a center from England, and then tried to broker a 4-way peace to include Brazil. England and I both pushed back forcefully, that we were committed to achieving a 2-way or 3-way, but would not accept a 4-way. Peru relented, joined the attack on Brazil, and the rest is history.

Definitely one of the most enjoyable games I've played in quite a while!
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1057
All-game rating: 1234
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: AARs

Postby musashisamurai » 23 Sep 2011, 23:38

Wow, with all those unexpected stabs, you were lucky. Nice game though
¸,,¸_____}\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby stalin813 » 24 Sep 2011, 07:24

This was my first extended game on the forum (was part of Post-Modern Diplomacy that died before it got going) and I believe I am hooked. Communication and game play just seems much better here because people are forced to talk more in my opinion. I was very happy with the way this game turned out. First off, Great props to Pedros for keeping the game going, on the ball most of the time and just well done. I'd give you karma if I could. As for the set up of the game, I think two things stand out, one Mexico, like already stated is pretty much left to his own devices. I think this game my be better if you added a Northwest Indian tribe and couple more SCs in the NW, might help balance the politics. Two, unless multiple nations decide to turn on Britain, he can survive fairly easily. I think the next trial of this game might try to do something about these two factors.

As for this game, I immediately messaged Peru and offered an alliance. Looking at South America, it was split between 6 nations, with 3 pairings that made sense, (Peru/Brazil, Ven/Col, Chile/Argentina or some combination of left and right side nations working together) Peru had the same idea and our alliance was forged that would last the rest of the game (until events transpired) We decided it was in our best interest to attack South and then turn north as Chile and Argentina had no where to expand but into us. In order to not worry about the North, I allied myself with Venezuela and made the seemingly crazy offer of giving him 3 of the 4 supply centers we would fight over in return for him to attack Britain and the Caribbean. This worked beyond my expectations and he never turned his guns against me, which was absolutely vital to our Southern Strategy. Turning our attentions South, I knew I was in for a slugfest with Argentina, I tried to get Chile to help with that fight, but I am sure he smelled something fishy and never really engaged. I lucked out with Argentina NMRing in Fall 2001 and took both supply centers we were fighting over. After that, it was just a matter of out maneuvering him until he fell. Throughout this whole time, I was in communication with Britain, and we always seemed like we would help each other but we constantly failed to come through for each other. I am sure he is the main reason, I was left out of the draw, which is fine, but I felt he was too aggressive to deal with and was very worried about trusting him, as I can guess he felt the same. After Argentina fell, I finally convinced Venezuela to attack Columbia and this worked perfectly because I could then attack Venezuela and not get so bogged down. Once again, my offensive wasn't over quickly, but I worked methodically to take the territories that led to his demise.

In the end, I wish Peru and I had tried to fight Britain and Mexico, but I understand his thinking. All in all, great game. Also, I would be interested to see how this would transpire if the game was Solo only. I think Peru would still have turned on me, but I wonder if Britain and Mexico would have fought earlier with this over their heads.
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)

Postby slayer666 » 24 Sep 2011, 07:55

Just saving a place - will do a more in depth AAR soon...
Gold member of The Classicists
Winner of Imperial IV, 1870, Colonial
and War In The Americas 2.
slayer666
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1061
All-game rating: 1464
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Willie900 » 24 Sep 2011, 14:52

this was my first Forum game ever, and I feel like I did pretty well.

in the beginning, I immediately messaged Colombia for an alliance or DMZ, and got into an alliance with Peru. I was quite surprised when Brazil offered three of the four centers between us, as I was willing to do two/two, but I took them without complait. I tried to get an alliance with Spain to fight Britain in the Carribean, and although we were allied, he seemed to make one too many tactical mistakes. also, we didn't communitcate as much as we should have, so Spain began to fall, much to my dislike, as I really didn't want a powerful Britain on my shores. I soon decided (with the prodding of Brazil and Peru) to stab Colombia, which worked absolutely perfectly to plan. unfortunately, Brazil stabbed me in the south, and I was forced to stop attacking Britain as much. I tried to secure a peace treaty with Britain, but he betrayed me immediatey. after this it was basically downhill, though I hope that I was being a really big nusaince to Brazil and England. indeed, Britian only got one of my centers, and I held off Brazil long enough for Peru to stab him. I feel like I may have been able to fight back against Brazil, if Mexico hadn't attacked me in Colombia, though such an attack was obviously inevitable. in the end, I am happy that I got into the top 5, considering this was my first Forum game, and my 2nd or 3rd game on the site total.
Wow my signature used to be awful
Willie900

Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)

Postby theangrycastle » 24 Sep 2011, 21:41

I think that I'm going to skip reading Aardvark's and Willy's AARs until after I've written mine, so as to not be accidently influenced. And congratulations to everyone, I feel like we really had a great game here. Outside of a few hiccups, everything went very smoothly.

My original plan was this: make a peace treaty with America and keep Canada as sort of a cushion. I would then get America and Mexico to help me neutralize Spain (my most immediate threat). In the south, I had maneuvered Chile and Argentina into an alliance so that they wouldn't threaten me, I could keep Patagonia, and they could take care of Brazil. So, I would clear the Carribbean, grab a few centers in the south, and by then I'd have America between two build ups, and I could crush him, altogether being in good positions across the board. Perfect Plan, right?

In the North, America decided to attack me the first turn. I ended up using all of my units that weren't in use other places to keep his units mired in a sort of trench warfare. This probably would have lasted indefinately, except that he was using all of his units to keep me at bay, and that kept him vulnerable to Mexico's attack. I basically served as the anvil, and the Mexican hammer caught him vulnerable. After that, Mexico and I DMZ'd the entire North American continent, which luckily has wide enough spaces that this was fairly easy. Once America started crumbling, North America was basically a side show.

The Carribbean was... interesting. I tried to split it up with Spain so that I could get some breathing room and not be trounced right away, but that didn't work. Luckily, he NMR'd and was replaced, which helped a lot. I was pretty busy fighting him, until Mexico was able to divert him by taking Havana. That was a pretty clear pattern that kept on happening: I kept on fighting someone, using up all of their units, and then Mexico came up from behind, took some lightly defended centers, and then I mopped up what was left. I have to admit it worked. Ven also attacked me early on, taking Trinidad and, once he took over Columbia trying to force his way into the Carribbean. I wouldn't have bothered him until quite later in the game, but instead it devolved into slogging warfare. I was forced to ally with Brazil for survival against Venezuela, who had gotten fairly big fairly quickly. I think if it hadn't been for that alliance, he might have forced his way into the Carribbean, which would have been all sorts of bad. After Ven was defeated, Brazil and I started to go to war, but he knew he was outnumbered, and accepted the truce before things got out of hand.

As for the South, there's not much to say. I grabbed Patagonia early on, but the alliance fell apart quickly when Argentina NMRd, and Chile got put in bad situtions. I more or less just tried to carve out my own little niche in the south, in case it was needed. I had to be a bit tricky to keep Brazil from forcing me to give him some of it, but it helped to pad my count and to give me options throughout the game.

Overall, I spent the game in a stable alliance with Mexico, which was great because Mexico and I worked very well geographically as allies. We were able to set up very clear spheres of influence, DMZ's, and we had plenty of common enemies. Like I said, I mostly drew the armies while he cleaned up the pieces. We never completely trust one another, but nothing bad came of it. I'd gladly ally with him again. As various things resolved themselves, it became clear that we needed Peru's help in the south, and a war against him afterwards would be a long, drawn out slog, so we worked out the 3-way draw. I figure that a 2 or 3 way draw is still pretty impressive in a 10 player game, and I wasn't about to stab Mexico for the solo. All in all it was a lot of fun, and Britain was a fascinating country to play, since I was basically playing 3 small countries at once.
theangrycastle

Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (951)

Postby theangrycastle » 24 Sep 2011, 21:52

Any way we could get some of the players who got wiped out earlier to chime in?
theangrycastle

Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (951)

Postby Pedros » 01 Oct 2011, 11:34

Looks like the AARs have crawled to a halt, so I'd like to toss in my two penn'orth.

Firstly, now that I've GMd Americas twice, it seems clear to me that Mexico starts with a huge advantage. I'd go so far as to say that if Mexico doesn't get a result playing on this map then either it's been played appallingly, or else the others have managed to gang up on it totally from the start. It could be a really great game if somebody could revise the map to balance it out a bit more, but map-making isn't my thing.

Secondly, the result is up to the players to decide, and they've decided it. But I confess that I was disappointed. Getting the game to what is pretty well a starting contest with four players, and the great battle about to begin, and then three simply taking the easy option and saying to the other "It's not worth you fighting" didn't seem what it's all about really!

I'm leaving the game in Active for a while longer because I'm sure that somebody will want to come back at me!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby stalin813 » 01 Oct 2011, 12:35

Pedros wrote:Looks like the AARs have crawled to a halt, so I'd like to toss in my two penn'orth.

Firstly, now that I've GMd Americas twice, it seems clear to me that Mexico starts with a huge advantage. I'd go so far as to say that if Mexico doesn't get a result playing on this map then either it's been played appallingly, or else the others have managed to gang up on it totally from the start. It could be a really great game if somebody could revise the map to balance it out a bit more, but map-making isn't my thing.

Secondly, the result is up to the players to decide, and they've decided it. But I confess that I was disappointed. Getting the game to what is pretty well a starting contest with four players, and the great battle about to begin, and then three simply taking the easy option and saying to the other "It's not worth you fighting" didn't seem what it's all about really!

I'm leaving the game in Active for a while longer because I'm sure that somebody will want to come back at me!

Maybe I am feeling jilted because I was left out of the 4, by the 3, but forum games aren't tied to points, so I didn't understand the point of drawing so quickly.
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)

Postby Palin » 01 Oct 2011, 17:03

My Colombian AAR.

I started negotiating with Peru and Venzuela and agreed with both on NAP and the establishment of clear DMZs. Even though Venezuela left an opening for me, I decided it would be better if I stuck to the agreements. Mexico offered me a split of Central America which seemed to be the way to go.

After a couple of years I had to find a way to expand further. I tried bumping heads with Mexico figuring that if I were to achieve anything it would be by pushing Mexico back. It didn't lead to anything and I set my eyes to the Carribean trying to move my fleets westwards. At the same time I was attacked by both Peru and Venezuela simultaneously in my exposed home soil... In the fall orders I tried convincing Mexico to help me into Hav for one season - so as not to disband one unit - unfortunately he read Haw and wouldn't agree to that and from that point on I struggled for survival.

Just when I seemed to be set for long-term survival, I NMRed and it was the end.

Concerning the final result, I must say I didn't like the idea of a 3-way draw... All three countries had what was needed for - at worst - survival and there should be at least 4 or 5 more years of gameplay before they agreed to a draw. But that's just me.
Sooner or later the man who wears two faces forgets which one is real... and thus a stabbing occurs!

Gold member of the Classicists
Palin

Standard rating: (886)
All-game rating: (800)
Timezone: GMT+2

Next

Return to Game 2