War in the Americas 2: Now full

GM: Pedros. Draw: AardvarkArmy (Mexico), theangrycastle (Britain), slayer666 (Peru)

The map

Postby Pedros » 02 Jun 2011, 16:00

OK, at last, the starting map.

I've had some trouble because the details provided in the Variant Bank description are inconsistent. I knew that some of the names varied, but when I came to finalise the map for this game I found that in one case the starting unit was not in the listed SC (Venezuela - Barquisimeto not Bogota!)

What I have here is intended to be exactly the same as the Variant Bank map so far as all details are concerned (I used Bogota for that SC because it's where the unit starts), but with altered colours etc. This is quite a large map, and in the Caribbean at least gets quite complicated so I strongly recommend that you save the current version of the map and open it with software which allows a lot of zooming in (I use paintdotnet myself - and I save all my current game maps for variants on my desktop) I also added in some canals that are listed in the rules but not shown on the map; and the two land-bridges from Trinidad, also referred to in the rules.

Read through the rules in the Bank carefully - especially the canals and waterways section.

Americas.gif
Americas.gif (245.18 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: War in the Americas 2: Sign-ups (9/10)

Postby Pedros » 02 Jun 2011, 16:04

theangrycastle wrote:Quick question: looking at the map, it looks like there's a bunch of territories that are British, but don't start with a unit. Do those all count towards Britain's totals? I.E. if no one takes over British Guyana the first turn, can Britain count it as a territory and build a unit there? I'm going off the map on variantbank, btw.

As I said, the rules aren't entirely consistent. I'm going to rule that only the SCs where units start are owned by those countries; the remainder are neutral (otherwise Britain would have a big advantage!) Since I'm starting the game with a winter build phase as well, it would become seriously unfair!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Pedros » 02 Jun 2011, 16:08

All those who are currently signed up have convinced me - or I've convinced myself! - that they're OK to play. So we still need one more, then we're away.
Pedros

Re: The map

Postby stalin813 » 03 Jun 2011, 04:53

Pedros wrote:OK, at last, the starting map.

maybe I am blind, but where I am finding this map or just using the link to the variant map?
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 03 Jun 2011, 07:37

Oops!

There now
Pedros

Postby stalin813 » 03 Jun 2011, 07:47

Map shows Columbia holding Gal, is that supposed to be neutral and just missed because it's so small or is that their center?
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)

Postby Pedros » 03 Jun 2011, 18:08

Thanks Stalin - I missed that when I was changing everythying. No, it's neutral; changine it now
Pedros

Starting centres - a question

Postby Pedros » 03 Jun 2011, 18:22

I'm having second thoughts about my decision that Britain doesn't have British Guyana at the start. This is because, very unusually, it starts with no more than two in its main homeland, Canada, and the other three are very scattered further south. The addition of Guyana would give it more of a power-base around the Caribbean. But the question then is whether it could become too strong. I'd like any views from you all (and if you have comments about the rest of the map, now's the time to air them; once the auction starts then that version of the map and rules will be final - unless there's an issue which isn't covered by the starting version.)

So, a couple more points which I don't think I've mentioned before. All the canals listed in the rules are Kiel-type (you have to be in the territory to pass to the other side) except Panama which is Modern-Diplomacy style (you can pass directly from McS to GoP provided the current occupier (or failing that the owner) of Panama says it's OK - explicitly in their orders.

And the waterways running through the Eastern and Western Great Lakes are joined and navigable.

And it's starting builds, and home builds only.
Pedros

Postby RedelMondo » 03 Jun 2011, 18:28

If you are still at 9 players, I would be interested in playing. I am new here, and this is would be my first forum game. But I consider myself to be reliable. I am on a computer at work, so I can usually find time to sneak in a peek at this website to keep up with things (in addition to when I am home). I am in three games on the main site, and while I have missed one turn, it was in a new game I had picked up and wasn't used to look for and dealing with. I have not made the same mistake again.
GM of Greed 2: The Greedier. Come and join us!
RedelMondo

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Pedros » 03 Jun 2011, 18:46

Hi RedelMondo - good to hear from you.

Before I simply say 'Yes', can I just check that you understand how this works (because it demands much more effort from players!) Game results and maps, and any public press, are posted in a separate sub-Forum in Active, and all other communication is via Private Messages. That means you have to go actively looking to see what's appeared (set your User Controls to e-mail you when you receive a PM, and Subscribe to the sub-Forum so that you are alerted immediately anything happens.)

If you're happy to commit yourself to that, and you undertake to stick with the game, you're in!

And there will be at least 24 hours from your reply for discussion about the British SCs question in my previous post before the auction begins.
Pedros

PreviousNext

Return to Game 2