Mentor Game--STARTED May 18

If you are new to the site, and especially if you are new to the game, this might be a good way to start some games. Mentors will help with the mechanics of the game.

Moderator: WHSeward

Mentor Game--STARTED May 18

Postby Machiara » 26 Apr 2018, 16:40

All right everyone, after some difficulties we have started my mentor game with the following players:

Ewett
rofltech
FreeOrDie
TheGreatSkyfish
goonzo
Petebic
PDOT

The priority list for the next mentor game:

WindmillCrusader
domin8
alwaysbebrian
XVJ96
DastardlyManatee
thattripletguy
Rahmet

Standby list:

MARCHAT
IvanW
Ezekiel18

If you wish to be placed on the priority list for the next mentor game please leave a message at the bottom of this post and I will add you. If the priority list fills up (seven players) then you will be placed on standby. If this game is any indication there's a good chance you'll be offered an invitation if you're close to the top of the standby list, but if you're not you'll be placed on the priority list for the following game.

Thanks everyone!

Hello all prospective mentees! It is I, Machiara, one of your hard-working mentors, and I have taken up the task of running the May 1 mentor game.

What is a mentor game, you may ask? Mentor games are for beginners to play together and learn the basics of Diplomacy and how the website interface works with an experienced player (in this case, me) available to answer questions. Any player that thinks they might benefit from a teaching game is welcome:

• Looking to play your first game?
• Have played before, but it was some time ago and feel rusty?
• New to PlayDip and want to get used to the interface?
• Been on site for awhile and would like some pointers?

All are welcome! We ask only that you commit to seeing the game through to completion, because leaving a game partway through disrupts the experience for the remaining players. The duration of Diplomacy games can vary widely, but you can expect to be in the game for about two months if you do well. Should unforeseen life circumstances mean you need to quit, please let us know a.s.a.p. so that we can line up a replacement, rather than abandoning the game without notice.

If you are interested in playing, either reply in this thread or use the site PM system to contact me. This game is targeted to begin on 1st of May, but we will start whenever we get a full set of seven players. If you sign up on this thread but don't get a place, you will get priority in the next mentor game.

The sign up information for our current mentor game is below:

Game No.: 144084
Game Name: Once More Into the Breach!
Deadlines: 2 days for orders, 1 day for retreats, 1 day for builds

I will be sending out passwords in a couple of days.

Priority New Players (will receive invite this game):

XVJ96
HotelBravo
magnus rufum
TheAnosmiac
Ewett
pavliche
thackster

First-come, first-served players (will receive invite in listed order should a priority player not join the game or confirm promptly, and will be priority players for the next mentor game:

TheDeanOfAwesome
Last edited by Machiara on 30 May 2018, 06:56, edited 13 times in total.
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

No idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered with a searching but at the same time a steady eye.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Machiara
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1961
All-game rating: 1992
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Mentor Game--May 1--LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

Postby thackster » 26 Apr 2018, 18:51

I'm up for a mentor game! :D
thackster

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 967
All-game rating: 967
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Machiara » 26 Apr 2018, 21:43

That's seven! I'll send out the password via PM.
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

No idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered with a searching but at the same time a steady eye.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Machiara
Premium Member

Postby Machiara » 26 Apr 2018, 21:43

If you want to participate in a mentor game leave your name here; chances are not all of these seven will confirm and even if they don't you'll get priority for the next game.

Machiara
Premium Member

Postby TheDeanOfAwesome » 27 Apr 2018, 00:40

I would love to be a part of a mentor game!

This is exactly what I was looking for!
TheDeanOfAwesome

Postby Machiara » 29 Apr 2018, 07:52

Well, we only have four players signed up so far, so I've invited the Dean and we still need a couple of more players, so if you're interested in a mentor game drop your name here and I'll send you an invite!

Machiara
Premium Member

Postby rofltech » 30 Apr 2018, 17:20

I am new to diplomacy and would welcome a mentor helping me in a game. I am available today or tomorrow to start playing.

edit: Name on site is the same as the forum so rofltech

Still available if there is an opening.
rofltech
Premium Member

Standard rating: 946
All-game rating: 948
Timezone: GMT

Postby PDOT » 02 May 2018, 02:59

I am also new to diplomacy and discovered this mentor game looking for players.

My name on this site is PDOT and I would appreciate finding out how to participate in a game. I'm somewhat familiar with the original board game but have never seen how a game works on this site.

If I'm too late, please let me know when I might have a chance again. Thanks.
PDOT

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby rofltech » 02 May 2018, 03:48

I think we are too late. It was supposed to start today and though I applied on the 29th it seems either they already started or decided not to play.
rofltech
Premium Member

Standard rating: 946
All-game rating: 948

Postby Machiara » 02 May 2018, 05:25

The game has not yet started. I will send you an invite.

Machiara
Premium Member

Next

Return to Mentoring