Mentor Game 9-Feb-15 started

If you are new to the site, and especially if you are new to the game, this might be a good way to start some games. Mentors will help with the mechanics of the game.

Moderator: WHSeward

Re: Mentor Game 9-Feb-15 started

Postby WHSeward » 08 Feb 2015, 19:35

NineofSwords wrote:Hello, I am new here, and new to this game. Wikipedia just introduced me to this game, and I am very excited to start. Too bad the current mentor game had started. But waiting for the next one is too long... Should I just join a random game instead? Would it be considered bad sport to simply join a public game even though I had very little clues about even basic strategies?

If you don't have any experience in the game at all and really can't wait until next Monday's game, I might recommend starting by picking up a surrendered position in a "no rank" game. That is a good place to learn a few basics. Then maybe join a "no rank" game from the beginning. After that, you should be fine to take on a rank game if you like.

Do read the Quick Start tab and watch the instructional videos to get the basic rules. It is not everything, but it is what you need to get you started.

There is a lot you can read about the game on the web or in our forum to learn some basic strategies. You can start in our forum at the DIP 101: Introduction to Diplomacy thread which introduces game concepts with links to hobby resources or the many articles written by rick.leeds. You don't need to read it all, just use it to help your search and start to learn this great game. Enjoy.

And if you change your mind, I'd urge you to go ahead and sign up for next Monday's mentor game. It will be here before you know it.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby NineofSwords » 08 Feb 2015, 20:36

Thanks for the suggestion. I searched through the list and...it seems like there is no promising game. As in, the surrendered country are usually 1-2 troops away from losing, some time in fact having no troops at all and somehow still managed to be in the game; presumably, I would get defeated the next turn no matters what. I am not too concern with ranking, I am just worried that my inexperience would make me behave more like a randomizer than an actual player. How many players can join in a mentor game anyway? Well there are supposedly only 7 powers, but I had seen on the list here 2-player game that have 18 people in it.

PS. Also, how do I know which power is which colour? Is the colour even fixed? I usually guess which one is the surrendered one by counting how many troops are there.
NineofSwords

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (985)
All-game rating: (986)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Waezel » 08 Feb 2015, 22:37

Hey I'd love to join a new mentor game. I made this account a while ago but am just now getting into playing & learning the ropes.
Waezel

Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (946)

Postby WHSeward » 08 Feb 2015, 23:41

@NineofSwords, even a 1 or 2 unit position can affect the outcome of a game, so you would be doing the players in the game a favor by picking up such a surrendered position. That is a good environment to work through "how to" questions of entering orders, what every link on the game screen does, how messaging works, etc.

If you just don't want to do that, then go ahead an join a new no rank game and play from scratch. I understand you don't care about your ranking, but the other players in a rank game would appreciate it if you were not a "randomizer". Not every PlayDip user is as considerate as you and there are raw noobs joining ranked games, but it would be nice if you played your first games no rank until you had the hang of the game.

There are 7 players in a mentor game. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you write, "I had seen on the list here 2-player game that have 18 people in it."

NineofSwords wrote:PS. Also, how do I know which power is which colour? Is the colour even fixed? I usually guess which one is the surrendered one by counting how many troops are there.

This will be obvious once you play your first game - you start the game in your own country. And yes colors are fixed.

The colors of the standard game are:
Austria is red
England is orange
France is dark blue
Germany is yellow
Italy is green
Russia is purple
Turkey is light blue
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NineofSwords » 09 Feb 2015, 02:50

Thanks. I guess I would join an active game then. Would the mentor game help with developing strategies, or is it mainly a understand-the-complex-mechanics kind of thing? I guess joining one game should make me understand the mechanics, so I don't want to block another player from the mentor game if it is only about learning mechanics.
Also, I was talking about something like game #96552, which is 2-player with 18 users, which make me thought you could, say, have a team of people playing as one power, another team as another power.
NineofSwords

Standard rating: (985)
All-game rating: (986)

Postby WHSeward » 09 Feb 2015, 03:07

Like many things in life, you get out of a mentor game what you put into it. Mentors are available to answer questions so the more you ask, the more you will learn. The Dip 101 thread is what I go over in my games. I believe charliep007 also uses some of that material - he is the next mentor.

WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Drewerd7 » 09 Feb 2015, 03:26

I am in this week's mentor game, does that exclude me from being able to be in next week's game? I would like to learn as much as possible if I'm able to be in next week's game as well. Although, I assume that I am second priority to those who have not played at all yet.
Drewerd7

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby WHSeward » 09 Feb 2015, 03:35

You are welcome to sign up for a 2nd mentor game. I will say, there are diminishing returns to mentor games, but maybe 5% of players opt for 2. I can add you to the list, but you might want to wait a couple weeks just so your are a little farther along in learning the game. My guess is that is the way to get the most out of your 2nd game.

WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby WHSeward » 09 Feb 2015, 04:28

NineofSwords wrote:Also, I was talking about something like game #96552, which is 2-player with 18 users, which make me thought you could, say, have a team of people playing as one power, another team as another power.

That was not a 2-player game, that was just the name of the game. As for having 18 players, that was a database glitch that didn't shut down sign ups at 7. As a result, that game was... I believe the technical term is "hosed", so I deleted it.

WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby the-archimedes » 09 Feb 2015, 18:09

Hello!

I'd like to join the next mentor game. I'm currently playing my first game, and realize I'm probably missing a lot of the subtleties.

Thanks!
the-archimedes

All-game rating: (1000)

PreviousNext

Return to Mentoring