Newbie needing advice

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

Newbie needing advice

Postby MblockHead » 04 Apr 2020, 16:15

So its my first game ever, after 1 set of orders from everyone. I managed to get into the Black Sea because the Russia player is a newbie too.

Italy is an experienced player and has expressed an interest in allying to take down Austria. He says he will convoy into Tunis, and also bounce Serbia with me.

Russia has vaguely said he will go for Rumania and ally with me to take down Austria. However after my opening move, he was a bit pissed as Sevastapol is vulnerable now.

I'm worried about Austria moving into Greece.

I have no idea what to do. Any advice?

This is the board state.
https://imgur.com/xp6o5l3
MblockHead

Re: Newbie needing advice

Postby V » 04 Apr 2020, 16:22

MblockHead wrote:So its my first game ever, after 1 set of orders from everyone. I managed to get into the Black Sea because the Russia player is a newbie too.

Italy is an experienced player and has expressed an interest in allying to take down Austria. He says he will convoy into Tunis, and also bounce Serbia with me.

Russia has vaguely said he will go for Rumania and ally with me to take down Austria. However after my opening move, he was a bit pissed as Sevastapol is vulnerable now.

This is the board state.

Sorry, you won’t get advice here, it’s specifically against rules to discuss ongoing games in the forum.
Best of luck in your game however. I suggest you join a Mentor game as a starting point for learning Diplomacy.
They are taking signups right now for a game this month. Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby MblockHead » 04 Apr 2020, 16:43

V wrote:
MblockHead wrote:So its my first game ever, after 1 set of orders from everyone. I managed to get into the Black Sea because the Russia player is a newbie too.

This is the board state.

Sorry, you won’t get advice here, it’s specifically against rules to discuss ongoing games in the forum.
Best of luck in your game however. I suggest you join a Mentor game as a starting point for learning Diplomacy.
They are taking signups right now for a game this month. Best Regards V

Ah didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. Yes I've replied to the thread for the April mentor game.

Cheers!
MblockHead

Postby Fatmo » 04 Apr 2020, 20:11

The logic behind not talking about advice for active games is that it can mean your opponents are not just playing/fighting you, but the collective minds of everyone giving you advice. Which isn’t exactly fair.

Once the game is done though, you are certainly welcome to talk and ask any questions you have! And if you guys do an AAR, you might learn a lot just by talking with some of the players after the game.

You’ll learn a lot from just playing this single game out. You’ll get a feel for how others approach things.

Mentor games are great too if there are any pending.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Josey Wales » 04 Apr 2020, 21:22

Good job on your first game if you are in Black Sea, or it could be your undoing. That is the fun part about this game of ours, so many possibilities. My advice to you would be enjoy your game, go with your gut and take lessons from this game into the next. However, the strongest advice is to not take any preconceived ideas from one game to the next. An example would be "hey <insert country>, you and I played so well together last game, we should make-um good plans to go after <insert other country> in this game. If this works then we can join another game together and be buddies there too." ... That is meta-gaming and generally frowned upon.

Sign up for a mentor game absolutely but if you really want a baptism of fire, come join a game I am in, LOL. :mrgreen:
If you are gonna fight, then fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark … and brother, it just started to rain

Aspiring Classicist, Certified SPAM ABASSADOR, with a STAR
Josey Wales
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1104
All-game rating: 1134
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to PlayDip Academy