Bringing a group of friends

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

Bringing a group of friends

Postby Nicens Moocow » 24 Mar 2020, 21:19

I have a group of friends that I've played FTF Diplomacy with in the past, and I'd like for us to convene games online. Can I set up a game and then bring in players by invitation?
Nicens Moocow

Timezone: +6

Re: Bringing a group of friends

Postby Strategus » 24 Mar 2020, 21:23

You can set up a "friends" game, with a password, and tell your friends the password.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1565
Timezone: GMT

Postby Mr.E » 24 Mar 2020, 23:03

I would imagine that you can set up any game you want, Friends, No Rank or Rank.

Friends games are designed for this. If someone gets surrendered they can rejoin. Once you set a password it stays in place. It doesn't matter what you do in those games.

If you create a No Rank or Rank game and a player gets surrendered then they can't get back into the game. A password only works at the start of the game so if one of the players drop from the game anyone on the site can replace them.

It's this last bit that is the problem. If a player is replaced by someone else, that someone has to be treated fairly. If she isn't, that's metagaming and against site rules.

That's the big difference. In a Friends game you can metagame, communicate off site, etc and it's fine; that's what they were designed for. In either Rank or No Rank game the sites rules about fair play are enforced.

So if your friends are competitive and fair in how they play, then any game is fine. If you need to play as a closed group, Friends games are pefect.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Visit The Embassy, a Diplomacy blog.
Read Perfidious Issue 3.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 941
All-game rating: 1066

Postby Nicens Moocow » 25 Mar 2020, 01:36

Thanks. You can tell I haven't gotten very far with this. I'll note that the glossary doesn't include an entry for "friends game," though I did see references to it.
Nicens Moocow

Timezone: +6

Postby Nanook » 26 Mar 2020, 02:41

I'd recommend starting out with a friends game to see how you like the interface and so you don't have to worry about things like not communicating out of game or metagaming or anything like that. Happy to help you set one up or walk you through the process if needed!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Mr.E » 26 Mar 2020, 22:41

See? Playdip mods/admin are brilliant.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Visit The Embassy, a Diplomacy blog.
Read Perfidious Issue 3.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 941
All-game rating: 1066

Return to PlayDip Academy