When is NMR actually given?

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

When is NMR actually given?

Postby Pope Pius IX » 01 May 2019, 22:17

Hello everyone,

Much talk on other boards is about NMR rates. I know what NMR is, and that I really do quite badly want to avoid it, but not exactly when something counts as NMR...can anyone clarify?

I would assume that NMR is when you literally order nothing to happen. However, there is also the chance that it counts as NMR if you put orders in, but don't finalise them.

But then, that might be NMF.

Thanks!
Aspiring Classicist.
Head of the Roman Catholic Church.
Pope Pius IX

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 980
All-game rating: 980
Timezone: GMT

Re: When is NMR actually given?

Postby Shyvve » 01 May 2019, 23:08

The act of finalizing itself prevents an NMR, regardless of whether orders were actually entered.
Builds phases (no builds or removals entered) never counts as an NMR either.

A missed retreat doesn't either. However, I do think that in a Protected game, that a missed retreat does count as an "unofficial NMR" as far as leaving one open to an auto-surrender. Meaning, say someone didn't enter orders in a Movement phase, then didn't enter orders in any subsequent Movement or Retreats phase (the phases don't have to be consecutive in other words). That would result in an auto-surrender to my understanding.
Otherwise, in a regular game (non-Protected game), I think the two NMRs have to be in consecutive Movement phases. Retreat phases don't count. (I think this is right.)

If you've entered a single order, with other units not ordered, you won't get an NMR either. Unordered units just hold. Not finalizing never results in an NMR (unless you haven't entered any orders at all).
Last edited by Shyvve on 01 May 2019, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1382
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby V » 01 May 2019, 23:11

Finalising is always optional. If you put orders in that’s all that is required. When the phase timer ends they get implemented. Failure to enter orders by the end of a phase generates an NMR, except on build phases where you get a free pass if you fail to enter builds/disbands.
I see Shyvve reckons this applies to retreats as well, but I didn’t realise that. Where’s Super-Dipsy when you need him:-)
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Shyvve » 01 May 2019, 23:23

Yeah, V. I think the Retreat phase thing only counts in the context of a Protected game. I'm unsure about whether unordered retreats count in a normal game actually. But I don't think they would.

Here's something about the Protected Game option where a missed retreat does 'count' though (Case D on this link): viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50009&p=897711

EDIT: Maybe an unordered retreat, in a normal game, does count as an NMR as far as one's statistics go? But, an auto-surrender in a normal game would only result if orders are missed for two consecutive Movement phases? Meaning missed retreats would count as NMR's, but not make you subject to auto-surrenders in a normal game.

Yeah, I'd like to hear the word on this too from super_dipsy.
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1382
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to PlayDip Academy